Hurricane Thread --

it took 3 days for angry creditor letters to be returned as undeliverable after 9/11, i guess if you saw the address as the World Trade Centre you could have put 2 and 2 together....

You think there's a human involved anywhere in generating those letters? Nobody sees those addresses until they hit the mail truck.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You think there's a human involved anywhere in generating those letters? Nobody sees those addresses until they hit the mail truck.

of course there was a human element in 2001, they started calling employees at home when the credit letters came back

total douchebags

of course there was a human element in 2001, they started calling employees at home when the credit letters came back

total douchebags

"...in generating the letters."

I've designed a couple of those systems. They're completely automated, including envelope stuffing and postage. It's likely that no human at the bank had any idea the letters went out until they started coming back.

"...in generating the letters."

I've designed a couple of those systems. They're completely automated, including envelope stuffing and postage. It's likely that no human at the bank had any idea the letters went out until they started coming back.

i'm not sure why you are insisting on this being a hill to die on...... i worked on the bankruptcy claims and saw the letters, the documentation by creditors personally chasing down the people

you have better things to do...

you are just a cartoon character joke on here, right?

Even that is crediting him too much,

I don't block anyone, but it's nice and peaceful here in the "never reply to gator" club....I highly recommend it.

(Gator-free since Nov 2014)

Sell cases of water for $40-$99?

Plus there is always general looting.

I'm nearly 100% certain that's happening, but not tweeted out.

Nice to see people coming out, though

Sell cases of water for $40-$99?

I heard that this morning. It takes a lot of chutzpah to gouge people on water when you're up to your neck in it.

I actually felt kind-of bad for Best Buy's corporate HQ - they had nothing to do with the local yokels doing that, but still had to answer for it.

Plus there is always general looting.

"Foraging for supplies" if you're white.

Some reporter was bragging on twitter yesterday that he called the cops on people looting a grocery store. First...the cops have better things to do. Second...the store owner's claiming everything as loss against his insurance anyway, and people need the food. Sure it ain't legal...but let it go...

The water? A local Best Buy was busted advertising it. :doh:

For what it's worth, from a site I follow closely, the pilots site from my airline.

"Able to spend some time talking to son this morning as he can catch his breath for a moment after some challenging days flying SAR in Houston. He's a USCG pilot stationed in New Orleans and has been in Houston since last Friday morning. Felt great to hear his voice, knowing that he would be challenged as never before.

Heroic doesn't scratch the surface, and I don't mean that just for him, as a proud dad, but it's the only appropriate word to use for all the people stepping up in this disaster.

ATC--- to hear him talk about tower controllers at Bush and Hobby; I apologize for every time I muttered about a heading and a speed reduction. He could not say enough for what those folks did to keep A/C separated and provide timely information to task saturated crews. Son said it was the same voices on the radios for hours, probably trapped at the airport with families and property of their own to be concerned about.

Aircrews--- rescue swimmers, flight mechs, PJ', To hear the stories of what some did--impossible to convey here, but again, hero's every one.

Training---He said they've been crewed not just with other Nola crews but folks from Houston, Corpus, Miami. No problem, standard up and down the line.

Most of what he had to offer was praise for everyone involved, rescuers and victims alike. He's my first son, kinda quiet and unassuming. Today is his birthday, he forgot that till we wished him a happy one. Total rescues for he and his crews to this morning, 41 people and 3 dogs.

An unbelievable sight from the air, he said. Houston will be forever changed and I'm sure he will be too after these past days.

Prayers for all in the aftermath."

This is a pretty good country.

Edited by sherpa

Nice to see people coming out, though

Well I saw tweets that a Best Buy in Houston was selling cases of water for $42 and another store, which wasn't a chain, was selling cases for $99. Best Buy claimed that it was just some rogue employees that totaled up the individual price of one bottle and multiplied it by the number in the case or some other nonsense like that.

I also believe that the Mayor of Houston installed a curfew last night or the night before specifically to stop looters from plying their trade overnight at empty houses and apartments.

ATC--- to hear him talk about tower controllers at Bush and Hobby; I apologize for every time I muttered about a heading and a speed reduction. He could not say enough for what those folks did to keep A/C separated and provide timely information to task saturated crews. Son said it was the same voices on the radios for hours, probably trapped at the airport with families and property of their own to be concerned about.

I never even thought of that. That must be a brutally difficult job, coordinating all those flights in that weather.

People never realize that, for every responder in the ****, there's probably between ten and thirty people you never hear about busting their asses to get them staged there. It's why the Katrina response was such a hash (tough to push anything into a swamp when things are SMASHED and flooded, and the locals have their heads up their asses).

Very few people have remembered, too, that Houston took in a lot of Katrina refugees. There's quite a few people who are having an "Oh, ****, not again" experience.

Well I saw tweets that a Best Buy in Houston was selling cases of water for $42 and another store, which wasn't a chain, was selling cases for $99. Best Buy claimed that it was just some rogue employees that totaled up the individual price of one bottle and multiplied it by the number in the case or some other nonsense like that.

I also believe that the Mayor of Houston installed a curfew last night or the night before specifically to stop looters from plying their trade overnight at empty houses and apartments.

Maybe that water came with Geek Squad support?