The Insanity of Tanking Talk

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a tweet to his " union brothers" about trying to get a bigger % of revenue in the next CBA. It's as if folks think a guy can change the NFL salary structure with a tweet.

He actually said that the "2014 class" will change all that, meaning him, OBjr, etc... on their next deals. Now of course the CBA structure doesn't allow for the NBA ridiculousness.... but those are the words of a player who is looking to mercilessly max out. They would either have to break the bank and commit long term cap money... or kick the can with the franchise tag.

I don't think WR is a position you should (or is necessary to) hand out a mega-deal to.... especially a rebuilding team looking to define its core from the inside-out. Maybe if you have a WR who has the ability to dominate a game.... only a few I can think of.... maybe Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones.... TO in his prime?

Talked to someone who works for the Bills recently and he told me this little anecdote. McD asked all of the trainers to a meeting where he addressed the idea of tanking. He emphatically stated "we are not!" He doesn't want anyone around with that mentality, including the training staff!

I like it.

Talked to someone who works for the Bills recently and he told me this little anecdote. McD asked all of the trainers to a meeting where he addressed the idea of tanking. He emphatically stated "we are not!" He doesn't want anyone around with that mentality, including the training staff!

I like it.

Poor McDoomed.... He has no clue how hard things are gonna be without a franchise QB.... Him and Beane have a season where they could literally blame EVERYTHING on Rex and Whaley... Why wouldn't you take abvantage of that?

Tank talk is silly as it guarantees nothing. There have been plenty of QBs selected in the top 10 who have been total busts. Conversely, QBs drafted later in the 1st round or beyond have done quite well.

So QB talent exists early in the first round, it's just that teams don't know how to find it.

Whoever said the plan has to be a "guarantee" anyway?

It's playing the odds and throwing the dice...

I'd rather swing and miss at a top rated QB prospect than go 7-9 forever...

7-9 is for losers.

So QB talent exists early in the first round, it's just that teams don't know how to find it.

Whoever said the plan has to be a "guarantee" anyway?

It's playing the odds and throwing the dice...

I'd rather swing and miss at a top rated QB prospect than go 7-9 forever...

7-9 is for losers.

I'm so sick of writing this, no team in the NFL has ever planned and executed a tank.

I am hoping for 4-12 or 3-13 as I don't think much of this roster and don't really care much if it turns over fairly quickly. Outside of a few younger talented guys we recently drafted or otherwise have under contract for awhile (Lawson, Glenn, Dawkins, TWhite, Washington, Hyde, Hughes, Dareus), the rest can be pissed off at a 3-13 tank and leave in FA for all I care

Wood, Shady, Clay, TT aren't the future and would be long gone anyway by the time a drafted franchise QB was ready to shine, so they can go. It just didn't work out while they were here with WhaleyRex.

It's not a Sabres-type tank, but it is a restart/rebuild; I don't care what the public position of McBeanes is. When they're 1-8 and Peterman is in you'll see. Go Bills.

Great post, OP.

I'd say the Watkins/Darby trade was really what set off the resurgence of tank talk. Boldin's retirement amplified that by how it happened. He decided to part ways after a bummer of a pre-season game and many figured he left because he was dissatisfied with the trades and the team he thought he was joining. In truth, retirement had been on his mind for quite a while. I'm not sure if anyone else caught it but I saw a tweet around the time he signed here which stated that he originally agreed to terms with the team during his first visit in late July, but backed out on it only to decide to come here a week or so later.

One of the things I always fall back on when the tank subject comes up is that there are no guarantees. No guarantees that all the prospects getting all the hype right now are going to be available in the 2018 Draft. Obviously, senior players will be around but nobody knows if junior players will elect to enter the draft after this season. It's been said already that Darnold is leaning toward staying at USC through 2018. Then there's injuries. At any point one of these prospects could get hurt, miss the year and their draft stock plummets, leading them to stay at school so they can hopefully play out a full season and work their way up the boards.

On top of that, there are likely a few teams that are going to finish worse off than Buffalo and those teams will be at the top of the draft and will more than likely need QBs. Beane can collect all the draft picks he wants but if the Jets or 49ers end up with the number one overall pick and Darnold just so happens to ball out and declare for the draft, there's no way any team without their QB is going to opt-out of a chance to get a franchise guy.

Also, you can't expect McDermott, a very competitive guy who is very much into changing the culture, to lead a team that's actively trying to lose. You can't expect a coach to go out there and get his team ready when the message is, "Hey, we need to lose for better draft picks. So go out there, risk your career every Sunday and do so in a LOSING effort so we can get younger, cheaper and hopefully better players to come in and replace you." The dude is trying to unite a locker room and create a brotherhood-type chemistry. A surefire way to make sure your team tunes you out is to lead them with tanking in mind.

Very well written post and I fully agree. Like many are saying before me I see no way we end up worse than the Jets or Niners this year.

I disagree with this part: "On top of that, there are likely a few teams that are going to finish worse off than Buffalo".

Unless you consider 31 to be a few I guess.

I was the type of fan in the past that was real happy winning any game. Games like the 2009 snow storm Week 17 against the Colts, week 17 in 2012 against the Jets, week 17 in 2014 against the Pats, and week 16 in 2015 against the Cowboys. This was because I couldn't stand those teams and it would still make me happy seeing the Bills win. I never liked purposely tanking. But I mean at this point I'd rather just see a 0-16 season then continuously spin our wheels at 6-10/7-9.

Edited by Another Fan

I was the type of fan in the past that was real happy winning any game. Games like the 2009 snow storm Week 17 against the Colts, week 17 in 2012 against the Jets, week 17 in 2014 against the Pats, and week 16 in 2015 against the Cowboys. This was because I couldn't stand those teams and it would still make me happy seeing the Bills win. I never liked purposely tanking. But I mean at this point I'd rather just see a 0-16 season then continuously spin our wheels at 6-10/7-9.

You want the embarrassment of a winless season followed by mediocre seasons?

Well I'd rather us go 0-16 one year and get a #1 pick and completely re-structure versus going 6-10 forever which seems so after the last 10 years

Didn't the Lions go 0-16 one year? Look at all those playoff and Super Bowl wins since!

Didn't the Lions go 0-16 one year? Look at all those playoff and Super Bowl wins since!

They made the playoffs 3 years later. The Dolphins went 1-15 in 2007 and then 11-5 the next season. My point is Id rather suffer through the embarrassment of going 0-16 one year with a chance of really improving versus continuously being 6-10 year in and year out

They made the playoffs 3 years later. The Dolphins went 1-15 in 2007 and then 11-5 the next season. My point is Id rather suffer through the embarrassment of going 0-16 one year with a chance of really improving versus continuously being 6-10 year in and year out

So we should look forward to a playoff appearance in four years. I can't wait.

You want the embarrassment of a winless season followed by mediocre seasons?

I would take the embarrassment of a winless season if it would give us a shot of drafting franchise QB , we pretty much tried everything for the past 17 years , and that's in it's self ( IMO ) is even a bigger embarrassment then one winless season ,

+1

The one thing is for sure ( I hope ) is that everyone is on board about about doing what ever it takes to draft our franchise QB ,

No more debates about ( we can win with a game manager a good running and a good defense )

F$@$ it what ever it takes to get our QB , ( IMO ) after week 4 if we're below .500 and Tyrod shows no improvement , I start Peterman the rest of the way and I don't look back , go ahead I'm ready to get grilled for this but I could care less ....