The Insanity of Tanking Talk

I don't see it as tanking as much as it is clearing the deck a bit and re-aligning your team. A side effect is, you will likely have a couple lean seasons... but if done right/well, it only needs to be one or two.

For two decades, the Bills have 'traded up' and not have enjoyed full value for their assets in order to speed short-term returns. Spending foolishly in relation to the cap (or cash to the cap)... and also letting key players walk/retaining the wrong ones. Beane and McDermott seem to have turned the rudder away from this. 6 picks in the first 3 rounds is a great start. Need quantity in the draft instead of trading up for Raglans. Scouts have to do their job. Maybe we will have the Bills slotted to pick Josh Allen? That would be fantastic.

As it is, this team, even with Watkins and Darby is fatally flawed (IMO). The secondary is complete mush... depth issues pretty much across the board. Best realistic case is 8-8 and worst case probably 4-12. Why not accept reality and focus on 2-3 seasons down the line and built a solid foundation of a football program that can compete for a decade, while replenishing roster players via draft picks? I don't want the one wild card berth and playoff loss. I want this team to beat the hell out of NE in Brady's final years and into retirement.... which would mean home playoff games. Change the 'stigma' attached to the franchise. Make players happy. Make it a place to win and sign for slight discounts.

Also, I look at guys like McCoy, Tyrod, Kyle, Wood, etc and ask if I picture those guys contributing in 2019 and beyond. If the answer is no, I would see what I can get, or wait for injuries to happen and a team to get desperate before the deadline. Get what you can for those guys. It seems like 'tanking', but to me it is accepting reality for 2017 and maximizing your assets.

Edited by May Day 10

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank talk is silly as it guarantees nothing. There have been plenty of QBs selected in the top 10 who have been total busts. Conversely, QBs drafted later in the 1st round or beyond have done quite well.

Exactlt my worry. In 2015 and 2016 we saw back to back years of QBs going 1 and 2 overall. None of those teams have made the playoffs. Goff struggled to get on the field, and we saw where Wentz is. A rookie QB early is not a cureall. Even the best cases were where you threw Carr in and let him rough it out for a few years, or Dak, where he had one of the best o-line in the league and a stud rusher. You don't get that with one year of tanking.

Again why all the love for this thread? While I agree with much, Flip has not addressed the Watkins & Darby trades that made the Bills worse and yes is waving the white flag for 2017.

Draft picks do not guarantee success in the NFL.

Belichek sorry could be a bust if not for Brady (we just don't know).

Almost every successful team over a prolonged period is due to the QB and while TT may not be the QB, I do maintain a significant factor was the OC and play calling.

The offense is much worse without Watkins. A healthy Watkins and innovative O could have turned the team around.

I was ready to give the coaching staff & GM a chance, but they showed their colours with the moves and now expect the fanbase to be okay with growing pains......

18 damn years and no playoffs is pathetic.

Again why all the love for this thread? While I agree with much, Flip has not addressed the Watkins & Darby trades that made the Bills worse and yes is waving the white flag for 2017.

Draft picks do not guarantee success in the NFL.

Belichek sorry could be a bust if not for Brady (we just don't know).

Almost every successful team over a prolonged period is due to the QB and while TT may not be the QB, I do maintain a significant factor was the OC and play calling.

The offense is much worse without Watkins. A healthy Watkins and innovative O could have turned the team around.

I was ready to give the coaching staff & GM a chance, but they showed their colours with the moves and now expect the fanbase to be okay with growing pains......

18 damn years and no playoffs is pathetic.

You can't excuse Tyrod because it's obvious that he has holes in his game and he may have plateaued at the NFL level.

Gase is very smart.... Too bad his first major f__k-up might cost him a season.... Jay Cutler is a sack waiting to happen on every down... At least our defense will get some highlight-reel material.

Cuttler is a step up from FannyHill/Moore. He and Gase were with the Bears when they went to the NFC Championship.

Jerry Hughes could have feature length highlight reel of treating FannyHill bad.

We will underestimate the Fish at our own peril.

Because they kept most of the same coaches including the entire defense. We change schemes every 2 years from 3-4 to 4-3 and have to get different players on defense and then learn the new plays. They only changed the offense. But don't get too excited, the Dolphins stink too. Do you really aspire to be the Dolphins? That's depressing!!

I aspire to make the playoffs. Somehow the "depressing" team was able to get there by overachieving. I want us do the same THIS YEAR.

Not changing a functioning unit is smart. Rex should have done that with our D and McDermtt with our offense.

Edited by reddogblitz

You can't excuse Tyrod because it's obvious that he has holes in his game and he may have plateaued at the NFL level.

You'd have to be an idiot not to realize you need to get Watkins the ball 10X/gm and I watched the Bills and saw the playcalling and it was asinine the # of times Watkins had single coverage and you'd see TT at the LOS not even look his way.

It had to be coaching and playcalling. If not then yes TT is to blame.

I'm already skeptical considering the Watkins trade.

Me too. After all, who wants a team full of top talent in the league? That could not possibly lead to wins.

Trade a guy who is a top player at his position hoping you can draft another guy who might/possibly/if you are lucky be as good at his position as that guy was. Then what are you going to do if you do hit on the draft? Are you going to ditch the guy when its time to pay him and they try to draft another guy as good as him again?

I can't help but think that is the exact opposite approach you should be taking. I wonder how many top players in the NFL they really think they are going to get in the draft over the next 2 years. Must be pretty confident in themselves. I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess Im the only one who liked this trade.

We are stacked for the next draft and can trade into #1 overall if we want and get out franchise QB finally WITH draft picks to spare.

We were most likely going to lose Watkins after this year anyways and Darby is a man to man corner and would have struggled in the zone scheme the Bills defense was going to run this year.

We capitalized on both players and sold high and not to mention we also got starters back in return to replace them.

CBF

Watkins was already talking about the 'be paid like NBA players' thing. It was probably going to get messy no matter his performance.

Wow get paid what you're worth........ Why would anyone want that.

The Bills could have tied him up for a 5th season but decided against it claiming injuries. If he isn't injured and performs they weren't going to pay him.

Sounds really really stupid.

But let me guess how many excitedly waiting to post if he is injured.

Wow get paid what you're worth........ Why would anyone want that.

The Bills could have tied him up for a 5th season but decided against it claiming injuries. If he isn't injured and performs they weren't going to pay him.

Sounds really really stupid.

But let me guess how many excitedly waiting to post if he is injured.

Dont get me wrong... i was (incorrectly) in support of the original trade... and i would have picked up the option.

Nfl players arent worth what nba players are making. It is not the wage scale.

The way things were, with no option... and a strong possibility of a rough season... i foresaw a messy contract battle. Would rather make the trade than ride him off a cliff

Watkins was already talking about the 'be paid like NBA players' thing. It was probably going to get messy no matter his performance.

That was a tweet to his " union brothers" about trying to get a bigger % of revenue in the next CBA. It's as if folks think a guy can change the NFL salary structure with a tweet.

I'm good with moving Sammy and Darby. At first I was irate!! I'm hoping for a push between Sammy/Darby and Matthews/Gaines. Getting the extra picks would be big time gravy in top!! Time will tell. No one knows as of right now if the trades were good or bad 🤔

I'm good with moving Sammy and Darby. At first I was irate!! I'm hoping for a push between Sammy/Darby and Matthews/Gaines. Getting the extra picks would be big time gravy in top!! Time will tell. No one knows as of right now if the trades were good or bad

The only way it is a push is if Watkins is injured. When you trade the best players (as they did in both trades) you are weaker for the short term.

Now of course if Mathews now on a non passing team puts up better #'s then he did on a team that PASSED the ball, and Gaines becomes a great everyday player, then the Bills win the trade.

And with the draft picks they choose starting NFL players, then absolutely right they win.