Enough complaining that Watkins was drafted 4th....

and explaining the trade to non-football draft-obsessed fans.

Yes still pissed and explain to people why Watkins was traded so the new regime can roll the dice on another draft pick and the lunacy.

Yes reading threads and people just refuse to get over the fact Watkins was drafted 4th and that it is somehow his fault.

When healthy and targeted Watkins definitely lived up to the #4 pick (and yes OBJ I'm convinced would be called a bust in Buffalo with the Bills Offensive playbook).

So friends (non Bills or obsessed fans) ask why he was traded and I say the following.

The "Brain trust" (yes sarcasm) refused to extend him for a 5th year based on his injuries and didn't want to keep him since there is no doubt if healthy he is a star and thus the Bills wouldn't pay him.

So the Bills aren't tanking and definitely got worse for 2017 from the trade(s) and as fans we can blissfully hope to hit the jackpot in the draft next year.

The idiocy to me defies logic.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he hasn't lived up to his draft slot. No OB would not be worse in Buffalo, the guy just excels. The only Idiocy is the bills fans repeatedly over hyping and over valuing players just because they were Buffalo Bills.

And why are we still starting threads over a LA Ram?

No he hasn't lived up to his draft slot. No OB would not be worse in Buffalo, the guy just excels. The only Idiocy is the bills fans repeatedly over hyping and over valuing players just because they were Buffalo Bills.

Pretty much how i feel. He has the POTENTIAL to be a top 10 receiver. He does not deserve to be given that label.

Thanks for clearing that up for us boss.

When healthy and targeted Watkins definitely lived up to the #4 pick (and yes OBJ I'm convinced would be called a bust in Buffalo with the Bills Offensive playbook).

I read your post a few times and couldn't figure out what you were trying to argue, but...

Watkins wasn't just drafted at the 4th spot. His true coast was the 4th pick, another 1st rounder, and a 4th rounder.

Whaley made a horrible trade moving up to get Watkins. If Watkins had played up to his potential then the Bills would have locked him up with a contract extension or picked up his option. Watkins is a good WR with a lot of potential. It pains me to say it but he is no OBJ or Mike Evans. Watkins has flashed great skill but has not played on the same level as Julio Jones, OBJ, AJ Green, and Jordy Nelson.

Stop living in the past. The notion that the Bills would not pay him if he was a star does not apply anymore. The Bills are not going to dump a good player because they dont want to pay him.

Yes still pissed and explain to people why Watkins was traded so the new regime can roll the dice on another draft pick and the lunacy.

Yes reading threads and people just refuse to get over the fact Watkins was drafted 4th and that it is somehow his fault.

So friends (non Bills or obsessed fans) ask why he was traded and I say the following.

The "Brain trust" (yes sarcasm) refused to extend him for a 5th year based on his injuries and didn't want to keep him since there is no doubt if healthy he is a star and thus the Bills wouldn't pay him.

So the Bills aren't tanking and definitely got worse for 2017 from the trade(s) and as fans we can blissfully hope to hit the jackpot in the draft next year.

I agree, we are playing the lottery with picks, and we gave away 2 winning tickets we had for unknowns. I'm with you and I thin it will hurt this team for quite a few years

So what...RGIII was drafted 2nd and they gave up a whole lot more than we did to move up to get him.

This sh1t is irrelevant long term. If you think trading one pick is that big of a deal that it sets the franchise back that far I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by matter2003

Stop living in the past. The notion that the Bills would not pay him if he was a star does not apply anymore. The Bills are not going to dump a good player because they dont want to pay him.

Perhaps, but money, and the likely inability to re-sign him was cited by the boy genious (Beane) as a mitigating factor in their willingness to trade Watkins.

If Sammy is smart, he will spend his one year in LA, and go to a better team.

Great new topic 👍

I've been thinking about starting a thread on something I haven't seen anywhere, topic: I'm not sure TT is a franchise QB.

Can the mods tell me if this refreshing take may have been covered somewhere that isn't obvious?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Either Buffalo felt he was not returning next year, or they were not going to invest the kind of money he would command on the open market. Whichever way they felt a most likley high 2nd rd pick and a starting corner is top of the market in value. I have a Watkins jersey I am not thrilled about it, but I understand it as well. The difference in Sammy Watkins to Jordan Matthews and the difference in Ron Darby to EJ Gaines imo is not the difference in a making the playoffs or not or winning the superbowl or not.

I agree, we are playing the lottery with picks, and we gave away 2 winning tickets we had for unknowns. I'm with you and I thin it will hurt this team for quite a few years

if we draft all 6 players, all 6 will have a combined salary less than watkins. They come with 4-5 years of control, and are much cheaper. You can't just keep extending everyone.

New england dumped Logan Mankins, Jamie Collins, and Chandler jones for picks. You don't have to rely on a comp pick formula if you trade players before they walk.

Edited by dneveu

The NFL is filled with top talent. The most talented Wrs rarely win it all.

if we draft all 6 players, all 6 will have a combined salary less than watkins. They come with 4-5 years of control, and are much cheaper. You can't just keep extending everyone.

New england dumped Logan Mankins, Jamie Collins, and Chandler jones for picks. You don't have to rely on a comp pick formula if you trade players before they walk.

You also get to use the picks the following offseason instead of waiting a year.

For one if OBJ were here him and Tyrod probably would hate each other by now. Remember on passing plays Tyrod don't see most of the field, won't throw the ball unless you're wide open, and can't make all of the throws a normal qb can throw. OBJ would lose his mind here. He's a me first player and playing with Tyrod would not fit his me first attitude. So no OBJ would not excel here with Tyrod. Sammy handled playing here pretty well.