2016 TALENT VS. 2017 TALENT

I'd argue that CB has actually improved. Gaines and White tackle players and are zone corners. Gilmore didn't like tackling at all and Darby couldn't play zone.

You could say Gilmore/Darby are the more talented athletes but I offer that Gaines and White are the better football players.

I can't disagree with this. It was painful watching Gilmore last year.

It will be interesting to see how willing a tackler Gilmore becomes under Belichick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could argue that QB/RB/OL/DL are the same as last year. You could even argue that the D line is "better" because Dareus isn't suspended (yet). But we lost our best 2 WRs and replaced them with a second round rookie and a 37 year old who averaged 8.7/catch last year ... before he retired. We lost our best LB (and it wasn't even close), and our best 2 CBs and replaced them with a rookie (who knows?) and a guy who hasn't played effectively for a couple years. So ... yeah, the personnel this year is worse. And it's not even close.

I could add to this as well, but I agree 100%

If only Kouandjio hadn't lost his pants, the OL would be ok.

This is why young people should wear belts.

It was no reason to let him go imo, and we can certainly use him. Another bad move to add to the list so far

This will be one of the worst offenses in the league, get ready. It's going to be like the years when the Sabres would have to try and win 1-0 or 2-1. Brace yourself for near unwatchable football as they try and scrape and claw to 6 wins.

Def seems like it. The defense has def improved but if u think the offense is gonna be top 10 in scoring or just as good, youre drinking too kuch koolaid. This offense is bad.

Def seems like it. The defense has def improved but if u think the offense is gonna be top 10 in scoring or just as good, youre drinking too kuch koolaid. This offense is bad.

Do we really know yet? If you say yes, are you basing this on training camp practices or games that Steve Tasker and Mike Catalana have called?

Homer post.

QB is same.

OL = dumpster fire if Glenn is out - last year the psycho backup was very good

WR = downgrade without Sammy = zero chemistry - which Tyrod has shown himself to suck without

DL = same don't know how you think it got better personnel wise

LB = don't know - could say equal at best - no way Humber is going to be better than Zach Brown was for most of last year

CB = downgrade - almost without question - Plus I think both Gilmore and Darby would have been ball hawks if this defense gets a pass rush - could have been great years for both here

Yuu think coaching is automatically going to be better just because of NO REX? If you think that you are fooling yourself. As much as people hate Rex for being Rex, the guy had a ****-ton of experience as a head coach. Our current guy looked like he was a little kid who had his bicycle stolen from him in the last game.

I HOPE McDermott is an awesome coach. So far he only conjures images of Dick Jauron. And I don't know if Dick Jauron could out-coach Rex Ryan. Truth is you have absolutely no evidence to say McDermott is likely to be a better coach than Rex was - regardless of how much you hate Rex.

From my perspective last year was the worst head coaching job in the history of the NFL. He hired Rob effing Ryan which emasculated his DC, fired Greg Roman in week three, lost the team in week 10 and lost his job in week 17. I don't have to be a homer to think the coaching will be better after what I've seen and heard from McD, Frazier, and Dennison, not to mention their pedigree. In fact it proves your negativity to suggest otherwise.

The rest of your post is meh based on your "would haves, could haves", your "ifs", your "don't knows" and your perceived "chemistry" problems with the QB.

QB- Same (Slightly better depth)

RB- Same (Slightly worse depth)

OL- Same if Glenn is healthy but could be worse if Glenn is out

FB- Same/who cares

WR- Worse if Sammy was healthy but compared to last year potentially slightly better

TE- Same

DL- Better

LB- Better

Secondary- Way worse

I think that the defensive scheme is much better suited for the talent but our secondary is way worse. The rookie and younger players in the secondary could struggle a lot. Overall I think the team will be better defensively and slightly worse offensively. Should win 7 or 8 games.

QB- Same (Slightly better depth)

RB- Same (Slightly worse depth)

OL- Same if Glenn is healthy but could be worse if Glenn is out

FB- Same/who cares

WR- Worse if Sammy was healthy but compared to last year potentially slightly better

TE- Same

DL- Better

LB- Better

Secondary- Way worse

I think that the defensive scheme is much better suited for the talent but our secondary is way worse. The rookie and younger players in the secondary could struggle a lot. Overall I think the team will be better defensively and slightly worse offensively. Should win 7 or 8 games.

Agree for the most part. I'd say we're better at safety with Hyde and Poyer.

This will be one of the worst offenses in the league, get ready. It's going to be like the years when the Sabres would have to try and win 1-0 or 2-1. Brace yourself for near unwatchable football as they try and scrape and claw to 6 wins.

did you ever watch the Texans offense a few years back or the Denver offense last year and be like wow i wish we had that kind of team?! we knew this when they hired Dennison. this offense is going to be bad

Do we really know yet? If you say yes, are you basing this on training camp practices or games that Steve Tasker and Mike Catalana have called?

Im basing this on the offenses lack of talent, depth, coaching experience and players that fit scheme. I dont even know where to start.

We have 3 slot WRs with no burners to take the top off the defense and push them back to give the running game more room to run. The wco doesnt have much qb option plays which really open up things for mccoy and tyrod to gash them on the ground when they try to cover the deep ball (which now they won't worry about anyway bc we have no speed at wr to stretch the field).

Our oLine coach is playing favorites with Ducasse at RG when its clear Miller is the best RG we have on roster. Glenn and Mills are hurt and we cut kujo which doesnt give us any good options to bandaid the OT spots while they heal. Dawkins is a rookie and will get pansted by most veteran DEs off experience alone. It happend to him a few times vs the eagles. The rest of the o line is still adapting to the zone blocking scheme they are implementing.

McCoy is our top playmaker and defenses will stack the box now that the scheme has neutered parts of tyrods game that make him dangerous. Dennison has never called a football game before this ps so hes new to play calling. Thats why you saw him on the sidelines for game 1 and then in the booth for game 2. Hes still trying to find his stride.

Beane traded away established top talent at WR for a draft pick that may or may not be a star and replaced him with a retired WR. Could a got a 1st round pick for Sammy if we maximized his value by taking the 5th yr option before trading him. All these moves scream incompetence by a rookie gm, hc, and an oc calling games on his own for the 1st time. Beane could be an idiot i hope hes not and that he actually knows how to draft.

There is so much suck on the offensive side of the ball i feel bad for Tyrod. I wish we would have let him walk and started petermen, instead of setting him up to fail and killing whats left of his career value. This offense was exciting to watch last 2 years. We were one of the top teams in big plays and scoring. Now its gonna be painful to watch.

Edited by Marty McFly

Worse:

RB

OL - I believe the scheme switch will have an impact.

WR

CB

Offensive coaching

Better:

DL

LB

Defensive coaching

So, even though I believe this coaching staff will be better than Rex and the clown show, a similar change happened to what Rex did to the defense. The offensive line was great at run blocking as they led the league in rushing each of the last 2 seasons, so what do they do? They bring in an offensive coordinator who likes a different type of blocking scheme . Again we have an unnecessary scheme change and at least initially, Miller, who improved tremendously last year, struggles. The scheme change hasn't seemed to have affected the effectiveness of the running game but it may have affected the pass protection.

Let's hope the positive signs for the defense with the return to the 4-3 carry over to regular season play.

Regular season will show who is for real.

It appears that those who are positive and negative in regards to this years talent all agree that DL is better. This will make everything better on D.

Glenn it appears is the biggest concern for me. If he plays and the Oline plays better , this could be a fun season to watch. I have zero expectations for this season. New coach and new GM and new approach. Let's give it 3 years.

WR and CB are far worse, and potentially (probably) devastating to a QB who needs weapons. We're now relying on a rookie WR, a WR who garnered 327 yards in the past two years in a high powered offense, and another who got 199 yards in two years.

CB - we lost both of them, and didn't replace them with anything remotely as good. Brady and others will burn us.

OL - agree with the posters; doesn't seem to fit the scheme. Tyrod will not have time to throw.

RB - Tolbert seems to be an upgrade.

Safeties got better.

Defensive scheme on paper got better.

No more Rob Ryan!

LB appear to be better.

All in all, this team took a huge step back (in hopes of) taking a bigger one next year.

Fail to see how this team wins more than five.

From my perspective last year was the worst head coaching job in the history of the NFL. He hired Rob effing Ryan which emasculated his DC, fired Greg Roman in week three, lost the team in week 10 and lost his job in week 17. I don't have to be a homer to think the coaching will be better after what I've seen and heard from McD, Frazier, and Dennison, not to mention their pedigree. In fact it proves your negativity to suggest otherwise.

The rest of your post is meh based on your "would haves, could haves", your "ifs", your "don't knows" and your perceived "chemistry" problems with the QB.

You claim "2016 Rex was the worst head coaching job in the history of the NFL". Ok drama mamma. Not even close. Rex is an idiot, but you are wrong if you think that is as bad as it gets. Rex is an average coach.

You are assuming that a guy who has never coached an NFL game (McDermott) is automatically going to be better than a guy who was a head coach in the NFL for 8 years and took a team to the AFC Championship twice and beat the number one seeded/ranked Patriots in Foxboro IN THE PLAYOFFS with a piece of crap butt fumbling QB named Mark Sanchez.

I don't care how much you hate Rex. Your logic is flawed heavily. If you make bets based on assumptions like that, you are going to lose way more often than you win. And I am not a Rex fan. Hate him. Just being realistic.

New doesn't necessarily mean improved. It just means new. McDermott has absolutely zero experience and he will make plenty of mistakes - especially with zero experience in AFC East. He already made one by not knowing Tyrod would play a LOT worse without Sammy Watkins on the field.

As far as "perceived chemistry" problems between Tyrod and the receivers - If you don't think there are chemistry problems, then you didn't watch the Bills play last year and you didn't watch them play this preseason. It is blatantly obvious to anyone who has been paying attention. For whatever reason, Tyrod seems to take longer than normal to develop chemistry with his receivers.

I was extremely optimistic coming into this season - in fact, one of the few who thought the Bills would dominate some of the best teams in the NFL this year and go to the playoffs. After seeing the moves made by the GM - downgrading talent at a number of positions, and seeing the Bills not shore up problems with their offensive line - and a new head coach with zero experience - and an offensive coordinator who doesn't like to try big plays very often, I am no longer optimistic. In fact, I think it is more likely this team underperforms its potential and ends up sucking hard core. And if that happens, it will fall squarely on the shoulders of McDermott (your unproven -yet somehow already above average - coach) and his buddy Beaner.

You claim "2016 Rex was the worst head coaching job in the history of the NFL". Ok drama mamma. Not even close. Rex is an idiot, but you are wrong if you think that is as bad as it gets. Rex is an average coach.

You are assuming that a guy who has never coached an NFL game (McDermott) is automatically going to be better than a guy who was a head coach in the NFL for 8 years and took a team to the AFC Championship twice and beat the number one seeded/ranked Patriots in Foxboro IN THE PLAYOFFS with a piece of crap butt fumbling QB named Mark Sanchez.

I don't care how much you hate Rex. Your logic is flawed heavily. If you make bets based on assumptions like that, you are going to lose way more often than you win. And I am not a Rex fan. Hate him. Just being realistic.

New doesn't necessarily mean improved. It just means new. McDermott has absolutely zero experience and he will make plenty of mistakes - especially with zero experience in AFC East. He already made one by not knowing Tyrod would play a LOT worse without Sammy Watkins on the field.

As far as "perceived chemistry" problems between Tyrod and the receivers - If you don't think there are chemistry problems, then you didn't watch the Bills play last year and you didn't watch them play this preseason. It is blatantly obvious to anyone who has been paying attention. For whatever reason, Tyrod seems to take longer than normal to develop chemistry with his receivers.

I was extremely optimistic coming into this season - in fact, one of the few who thought the Bills would dominate some of the best teams in the NFL this year and go to the playoffs. After seeing the moves made by the GM - downgrading talent at a number of positions, and seeing the Bills not shore up problems with their offensive line - and a new head coach with zero experience - and an offensive coordinator who doesn't like to try big plays very often, I am no longer optimistic. In fact, I think it is more likely this team underperforms its potential and ends up sucking hard core. And if that happens, it will fall squarely on the shoulders of McDermott (your unproven -yet somehow already above average - coach) and his buddy Beaner.

Nice of you to bring Beane into the equation, but unfortunately he is not a coach so when making and argument about coaching it would be smart not to bring him into the conversation.(Although if you would like to have a GM argument about Beane VS. Whaley I will have that as well.)

It's also nice for you to bring Tyrod into the conversation since the problems you state he has are problems stemming from the coaching he has received the last 2 years who you are defending. I appreciate you helping my argument with that.

Although it is true I whole heartily believe McD is a significantly better head coach based on the last 6 months of listening to his philosphies vs. your boy Sexy Rexy, when I speak of coaching I am talking about the entire staff which is filled with some superbowl winners a ton experience and a former head coach. McD has assembled an experienced collection of coaches respected around the league and not a collection of misfits who has either followed Rex around the league for 10 years with mediocre to poor records, recently retired with no coaching experience or was family who was dismal at his job the last few years. In fact one of the only coaches worth his salt last year was fired by Rex when he disagreed with him.

You may think the team will be worse and that is fine and you have stated a few reasons why, but your argument that they will be worse because the coaching is worse is terrible.

This years coaching is better.

Pass pro has looked horrid. Run game will be there, but, even The Tyrod haters have to cut him some slack with how bad the OLine looked.

Defense looks like it'll be solid, I would be surprised with top 10-15 finish.

i WAS a Tyrod basher BUT the tackle play... and the eradication of woods and watkins... i mean come on how can you not feel something for the guy

Why is coaching better for a team that LOOKS better on D and worse on O. It very well may be better. can we get a few games in first though to make that determination

Worse:

RB

OL - I believe the scheme switch will have an impact.

WR

CB

Offensive coaching

Better:

DL

LB

Defensive coaching

Safeties?

Darby stunk at Florida State, and he stunk in Buffalo. Dumpster fire

Gilmore above average at best

Goodwin wouldn't start for St John Fisher

Woods ran like a hunch back. Never liked him. No yards after catch, So what if he can block.

Wasted roster spot with Reggie Bush

Safeties were a joke, whoever they were

Spikes stunk

3 confused guys calling defensive plays at same time

No Dareus first 6 games

Carpenter went bad

That Douzable guy was a joke

Percy Harvin, Glen Gronkowski....what were they thinking?

Fired Offensive coordinator after week 3

Rex stunk at clock management, throwing the red flag, Everything, etc.

1st 2 draft picks had surgery

No/very little Sammy in 2016

GM

EJ

What else?

And That team was 7-9. Can't imagine being worse in 2017-18.

This is a hot take. probably about 50% correct the rest opinion... if that.