I've been thinking...thoughts?

McBean

I think peterman could be very successful in this kind of system. However I would hate to throw him out there week 1 when he's not ready and see him shell shocked the rest of the year. From a passing game standpoint peterman is the guy. However this is a running team and the offense goes through shady, the read option gimmick will be helpful and peterman should not be running that. . Tyrod and his escapability are needed especially with how the O line has looked so far on passing plays

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

not saying much with yates and a rookie behind him. yes preseason, but why not look good? he did not look that good. I am a firm believer that you can't base everything off preseason but had he done much better then he did it would of kept the skeptics at bay.

I say if he stinks the joint up against the lowly jets then put the kid in because the season would be a wash anyway.

keep complaining about it, makes you look as bad with your constant whining.

If there comes a point in time that Peterman is your best shot at the playoffs you change. That point is not close yet.

The likelihood that McDermott starts a rookie 5th round pick over the QB he pushed for to retain this off-season is, well, extremely unlikely.

Someone said it in another thread. HC's want to win now while personnel types are building for the future.

The HC in this instance isn't about to put his reputation on the line with Peterman. Don't look at this like a fan, view this from the HC's perspective.

The HC is all-in for 2017 with TT. Barring injury or a complete breakdown the rookie isn't playing.

Even though he won't be around next year, I enjoy watching TT play. As fans we have suffered through years of terrible QB play and to bench the one guy who has shown a glimmer of hope would be a crushing blow to me as a fan. Though you make good arguments for Peterman to get time, myself, as a fan, cannot support this

Word.

Next time consider ducking. ;)

:lol: nice

Honestly, why not roll out Peterman every game this season and see what he has?

Hear me out...I'm NOT saying he's a franchise guy. However, what's the upside to starting Taylor?

Jeremy White brought something similar like this up this AM and it really hit me.

We know what we have with Tyrod. IMO, he's a RB playing QB. Tyrod might lead us to 7 wins this season. So that brings up this...what does 6-10 or 7-9 get us? Not only will we miss out on a top QB prospect, but the playoffs as well.

With Peterman, there is ZERO risk. 2 points.

1. Peterman shines and looks great as a rookie. Result: use picks to build around him especially OL.

2. Peterman looks awful. Result: Top 3 pick.

So the above scenarios are zero risk to the downside and 100% to the upside. With Taylor however, we are taking a huge risk. We all know it, TT isn't leading this team to a conference or division title. Why not depart NOW and make this season fun seeing what a young QB like Peterman can do? If it works, great. If not, hello Allen, Darnold, or Rosen.

Let's have a friendly debate and hear everybody's thoughts.

Gotta earn it.

Ok, and if this is true then you start the best performing QB on the roster and right now it is not Tyrod.

I mean... there's a lot of stuff you haven't seen. Practice, film study, weight room, just general team leadership and locker room. It's preseason...

I'd be for starting Peterman if they start 2-6 or something similar. Why not at that point?

Agreed - at that point Tyrod will have lost the team. Then you got 53 guys playing for their jobs.

Tanking really is awful. Dark days, the hobbits at the edge of Mordor, things like that.

It starts off with the Bills not evening able to run the most basic of NFL plays. Off tackle, stick routes, deep ball, draw. No audibles, no motions, no up-tempo, nothing fun that every other team in the league does. Meanwhile you see other teams tear it up, teams that look a lot like the Bills and become the new darlings of the league.

Vets you like give it all. McCoy, Williams, Clay give you a few bright moments.

There are some losses that are really close, coupled with a few surprise wins, and you have hope. Then a team that really wants it crushes the Bills.

Fall comes, and everything says it's football time. Then the holidays. But all hope is lost with Buffalo.

You start to like other teams, Detroit, Pittsburgh and curses you even see likability in New England and Miami.

Vets openly quit in weeks 17 and 18. Attendance drops. Open season on the Bills. Rumors start of a team in Toronto.

Everyone looks forward to the draft instead of an acutally real football game. Hope rests on some rookie who already acheived his life goal by getting rich. High chances of getting the next Ryan Leaf, or the Bills whiffing on the pick and taking a RB or DB.

Edited by rant_and_go

Hear me out...I'm NOT saying he's a franchise guy. However, what's the upside to starting Taylor?

Jeremy White brought something similar like this up this AM and it really hit me.

We know what we have with Tyrod. IMO, he's a RB playing QB. Tyrod might lead us to 7 wins this season. So that brings up this...what does 6-10 or 7-9 get us? Not only will we miss out on a top QB prospect, but the playoffs as well.

1. Peterman shines and looks great as a rookie. Result: use picks to build around him especially OL.

So the above scenarios are zero risk to the downside and 100% to the upside. With Taylor however, we are taking a huge risk. We all know it, TT isn't leading this team to a conference or division title. Why not depart NOW and make this season fun seeing what a young QB like Peterman can do? If it works, great. If not, hello Allen, Darnold, or Rosen.

You owe it to the players to let Tyrod play himself to the bench. Part of building a team is to have your team's back. Starting Peterman off the bat immediately creates a divide in the locker room, and that just isn't a smart thing to do.

Taylor's already had two years, so I would think he only gets the first three games and then all bets are off, depending how good or bad he's playing. They can at least say they gave Taylor a chance, knowing they've already had 29 games worth of tape to judge him as a starting QB as well.

You owe it to the players to let Tyrod play himself to the bench. Part of building a team is to have your team's back. Starting Peterman off the bat immediately creates a divide in the locker room, and that just isn't a smart thing to do.

Taylor's already had two years, so I would think he only gets the first three games and then all bets are off, depending how good or bad he's playing. They can at least say they gave Taylor a chance, knowing they've already had 29 games worth of tape to judge him as a starting QB as well.

I agree with this.

However, if it's another repeat performance next week like he had last night.....I think the leash is tighter. He could lose it before game 3 in the regular season.....

Let me give you some information that will show you that this is an utterly terrible idea.

1. We are talking about a guy who is currently completing 51% of his passes through 2 games mostly against guys who wont play much or make an NFL roster. That does not scream "Im ready to start in the NFL week 1."

2. Our OL is atrocious in pass protection...literally might be the worst in the NFL in pass protection right now.

3. Every QB in the NFL has a bad outing, you can't be knee jerk on one meaningless preseason game. And if you do, you risk further losing the veterans on this team and that locker room, not to mention the fan base.

4. Tyrod is learning his 4th playbook in 4 years, and learning to play with a 100% turnover at WR. Not one WR on this team does he have any experience with. And everyone SPARE ME the "Brady can play with anyone" comments...its the utterly stupid response to use the literal GOAT QB as an example of how Tyrod should play. MOST QB's, even really good ones, struggle without timing and rapport with their WR's. Even Rodgers and the Packers offense struggled when Jordy missed most the season compared to with him, and he still an entire WR group he was familiar with. Tyord has literally NO ONE, and one is a rookie on top of that and the other is a million years old and slower than my grandma (I do like Boldin here, but he was grossly misused on the outside last night).

5. Not only did TT not have a single WR he has history with, he also was missing Glenn and that first unit OL got DESTROYED last night making his job a lot harder. TT made some mistakes last night, but he also got very little help from his OL.

Most importantly though, I like Peterman as a prospect, guessing you do to in some regard. The ABSOLUTE worst way to develop a QB is to throw him to the wolves before he is ready and in a bad situation. This kid isn't ready to be a starting NFL QB, while he has potential and I like the idea of him being the #2 to get better reps as well in preseason and practice during regular season, he should not start unless he absolutely has to. Between him not being ready and the atrocious OL, putting him out there is recipe for disaster for the kids development.

Now before someone chimes back about Russel Wilson or Dak Prescott...its NOT remotely close to the same situation. Both those QB's immediately took command in both camp and preseason and showed they had a higher level of readiness that is NOT common in a young QB. Peterman has not come even remotely close to making a case for himself in camp to challenge to start and has had underwhelming preseason games with a couple of good throws peppered in.

The likelihood that McDermott starts a rookie 5th round pick over the QB he pushed for to retain this off-season is, well, extremely unlikely.

Someone said it in another thread. HC's want to win now while personnel types are building for the future.

The HC in this instance isn't about to put his reputation on the line with Peterman. Don't look at this like a fan, view this from the HC's perspective.

The HC is all-in for 2017 with TT. Barring injury or a complete breakdown the rookie isn't playing.

No need to be impatient. I'm not unduly pessimistic (and every year some projected 6-10, 7-9 team surprises!), but here's the facts. Barring something unforeseeable (like Cam Newton going down), the Bills will be underdogs in 6 of their first 7 games: at Panthers, Broncos, at Falcons, at Bengals, Bucs, Raiders. Jets in Week 1 and at Jets in Game 8 are the only "should win" games in the first half of the season. Now, I don't expect the Bills to go 1-6 in those first 7, but certainly 2-5 going into the second Jets game wouldn't be shocking. And depending on where the rest of the AFC sits, Peterman's chance will come, and may come very soon.

So let's say everything plays according to the Vegas oddsmakers. 2-6 (2 wins over the Jets) at the halfway mark. Then: Saints (probably a tossup, but too soon to tell), at Chargers (same), at Chiefs (underdogs), Pats (no comment), Colts (tossup?). Split those tossups and we're 4-9 and effectively eliminated. Last three are Dolphins, at Pats (probably still playing hard for playoff position?), at Dolphins.

So the most likely scenario: Peterman is in by Game 7 (second Jets game, if Bills are 1-6 at that point) at the earliest, by Game 14 (Dolphins-Pats-Dolphins) at the latest. He'll have his chance.

EDIT: and I do think that a cold hard look at the schedule played into Beane's decision to start the semi-rebuild now rather than in January.

Edited by The Frankish Reich