Good Night / Bad Night - Pre Season Game 2

GunnerBill

.you can't play not to lose and beat yourself with penalties.

"As I've said before Vic..... good teams don't beat themselves."

While we disagree on the McD - Jauron defensive coaching comparisons I will give you this.... he is a VERY Jauron-esque interviewee / press conference speaker.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"As I've said before Vic..... good teams don't beat themselves."

While we disagree on the McD - Jauron defensive coaching comparisons I will give you this.... he is a VERY Jauron-esque interviewee / press conference speaker.

Do you listen to many coaches? Coach-speak is extremely prevalent. They all basically say the same things. The Rex's of the world are the exception

Do you listen to many coaches? Coach-speak is extremely prevalent. They all basically say the same things. The Rex's of the world are the exception

Of course. But McDermott is very Jauron esque. Gailey, Marrone, Rex were all better listens than McD. Not that it makes any difference to him as a coach.

Why the hell did they start Ducasse? I don't know much about Castillo, but if he's playing favorites then get him out of here.

I've been on board with the new regime from the get-go...But this garbage they are pulling at RG is a joke...Why mess with John Miller? And if you're going to look to upgrade at RG, Vlad Ducasse? Are you kidding me? Good grief even the casual fan knows the guy sucks...

Miller made huge, massive strides in his 2nd year...He's still a young guy and for the life of me I don't understand why they would want to mess with that? I'm not saying he's Larry Allen, but if Miller takes a similar step from year 2 to year 3 than he did from year 1 to year 2...he's going to be pretty good...Why mess with him like that? I really don't get it, and it's stuff like this that kind of chips away slowly at the stone of confidence I have for this new coaching staff... B-)

I've been on board with the new regime from the get-go...But this garbage they are pulling at RG is a joke...Why mess with John Miller? And if you're going to look to upgrade at RG, Vlad Ducasse? Are you kidding me? Good grief even the casual fan knows the guy sucks...

Miller made huge, massive strides in his 2nd year...He's still a young guy and for the life of me I don't understand why they would want to mess with that? I'm not saying he's Larry Allen, but if Miller takes a similar step from year 2 to year 3 than he did from year 1 to year 2...he's going to be pretty good...Why mess with him like that? I really don't get it, and it's stuff like this that kind of chips away slowly at the stone of confidence I have for this new coaching staff... B-)

Right and if its cuz the OL coordinator is playing favorites its time to move on.

It could be that they're trying to see if he can start in this offense if needed, because if not, he doesn't have the versatility to be a game day interior backup, in which case they'll let him go.

Its preseason so I dont want to read too much into it but Dennison to my knowledge has never called a game. He has been offensive co ordinator multiple times but the head coach in to instances was the play caller.

Good night Nick O'Leary, Shady, Zay Jones, Humber, No 1 pick White, Streater looked good before injury, kicker looks solid can kickoff and make fg's

Bad night - Ducasse looked terrible, Henderson looked like not make the roster bad, special teams penalty machine, I thought ref's had bad night many phantom calls

It could be that they're trying to see if he can start in this offense if needed, because if not, he doesn't have the versatility to be a game day interior backup, in which case they'll let him go.

I don't know...Maybe...But they're not doing that with Woods or Incognito...

I just don't understand why you mess with Miller?...To me this is all about dissing Miller rather than finding out about a washed-up, back-up...Of all the problems the Bills had last year can anyone honestly say Miller was in the Top 10? Top 15? Top 20? And again I'm not trying to say Miller is a world beater...But he's solid, and he really improved last year...It's a position that did not need to be messed with...

Makes no sense to me no matter what they are trying to figure out with Vlad...But maybe it's just me...If I was Miller I would be insulted by this garbage... B-)

Yep.

Clay looked good too.

Why the hell did they start Ducasse? I don't know much about Castillo, but if he's playing favorites then get him out of here.

I loved Zay's play. Peterman had some great throws again, but not good under pressure. He has a good highlight reel going for this preseason.

"Vlad, show me a reason we shouldn't cut you by performing against their starters." At least that's what I'm hoping was the idea here ...

The entire D-Line was great. Hughes is being unleashed, and it is great to see. Lawson looks very good too. Also have to give credit to the Linebackers for being there to complete the shutdown of the running game.

I thought TreDavious White had a good night as well. A few passes thrown at him, and when the receiver caught it, White was right there to make the tackle. I did not see him give up any YAC. Very encouraging.

I agree that Nick O'Leary had a good night as well. I would love to see him get more targets.

Joe Banyard had that killer of a fumble, but he played good and should be on the roster if the Bills decide to go with 5 RB's.

Loved the play from Zay Jones last night.

Brandon Reilly & Daikiel Shorts made statements late in the game. That touchdown grab by Reilly was pretty.

Ducasse has been a pylon ever since being drafted. They actually raced to sign the guy! If Beane doesn't cut him, it doesn't bode well for his pro personnel skills.

Overall pass protection suk'd the fat one, but Oh yes, Ducasse has to go.He's been bounced around for a reason

Already in mid-season form:

Lorenzo Alexander: Two of the best plays of the night were his smackdown on the Eagles kick returner and running down Wentz from behind. The guy is ageless.

Richie Incognito: The only O-lineman who came to play last night. His block on (Dawkins/Jenkins?) out in space on a run was a thing of beauty.

LeSean McCoy: Shady gonna be Shady

Kyle Williams: Stout up the middle and good penetration.

Jerry Hughes: Coming off the ball fast

Thank God for vets!

Had a good game or flashed:

Preston Brown, Joe Banyard (except for the fumble), DeAndre Coleman, Stephen Hauschka, Zay Jones, Matt Milano, Nick O'Leary, Nathan Peterman, Jordan Poyer, Rod Streater (hope he's ok), Brandon Tate, Max Valles, Brandon Reilly.

Positives:

The defense (especially the run defense).

Concerns:

The Offensive Line (yikes), Tyrod and the WRs (in the new system---hoping they can build some chemistry in the next couple of weeks), Penalties.

Ducasse started over Miller? That actually makes me glad, because I saw the right guard get absolutely blown up on a number of plays early in the game. I was assuming it was Miller. I watched the game on the NFL Game Pass replay and therefore got the Philadelphia announcers, who hardly mentioned a Bills player. So, sometimes it was tough knowing exactly who was in at certain times.

I don't know...Maybe...But they're not doing that with Woods or Incognito...

I just don't understand why you mess with Miller?...To me this is all about dissing Miller rather than finding out about a washed-up, back-up...Of all the problems the Bills had last year can anyone honestly say Miller was in the Top 10? Top 15? Top 20? And again I'm not trying to say Miller is a world beater...But he's solid, and he really improved last year...It's a position that did not need to be messed with...

Makes no sense to me no matter what they are trying to figure out with Vlad...But maybe it's just me...If I was Miller I would be insulted by this garbage... B-)

I don't think a lot of people agree with your assessment of how "good" Miller is. And more importantly, the coaches probably don't agree. They would upgrade from him if they could - just as they would upgrade anywhere on that line. The right side has been the biggest problem the last couple years. This offensive line has a long way to go to be good at pass protection. Fans mentally neglected the offensive line last year because they ran block really well. But pass block - not so much.

i have a gut feeling tayrod is gone next year. petermn played really well this game and has some velocity on his throws as well as timing. and dont forget, he has a connection with zay jones from his time with him at the senior bowl. not just that, i dont know how many times i heard mike mayock constantly say that buffalo "loves this kid". plus he will be cheaper. and i thought ragland played really well in coverage. he just needs to turn is head or "learn to"

I don't think a lot of people agree with your assessment of how "good" Miller is. And more importantly, the coaches probably don't agree. They would upgrade from him if they could - just as they would upgrade anywhere on that line. The right side has been the biggest problem the last couple years. This offensive line has a long way to go to be good at pass protection. Fans mentally neglected the offensive line last year because they ran block really well. But pass block - not so much.

Miller was a very good run blocker who is an average pass blocker. That is still a huge upgrade from Ducasse.

I just don't see this team immediately shutting off the penalty valve. The refs will be all over us like they always are. And lets face it, Crossman is a mediocre ST coach. Dennison, target O'Leary more! Defense will be the strength of this team as offensive ranking drops way off....I think we'll average 16 pts per game. No more. And if there are more trades looming Mickey D better fleece some trade partners for this clear 'Rebuilt Tank".....