Beane kept news of Sammy Watkins deal from Sean McDermott.

JM2009

what happened to the whole one vision

i find it very hard to believe that "successful" operations are trading away their #1 receiver without the coaches knowledge. do you really think things happen this way in NE or GB or even Baltimore?

not to mention, this article displays the exact opposite of "how aligned the HC and GM are". McDermott may be accepting of the trade or complacent, but this wasn't an example of alignment.

Did you read the article? In the article it states Beane spoke w McDermott after the game about a possible trade. The trade was then made. The article made it sound like the two were in agreement . That is exactly how things should happen.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it very hard to believe that "successful" operations are trading away their #1 receiver without the coaches knowledge. do you really think things happen this way in NE or GB or even Baltimore?

not to mention, this article displays the exact opposite of "how aligned the HC and GM are". McDermott may be accepting of the trade or complacent, but this wasn't an example of alignment.

You can find it hard to believe but the GM, HC, and owner discussed it before the deal was consummated. Unless you're one of those conspiracy theorists who think they lie.

You can find it hard to believe but the GM, HC, and owner discussed it before the deal was consummated. Unless you're one of those conspiracy theorists who think they lie.

Yep. Everyone focusing on their jobs and responsibilities. Then when they have something to present that warrants a discussion they meet with the rest of the people in the operation. After the meeting actions are executed.

I kind of understand his explanation. However when you trade someone of Sammy's stature, wouldn't it only be right to discuss it with the head coach before you pull the trigger. Sammy was a huge part of this offense. I'm not trying to draw conclusions but it make no sense.

What trigger was pulled before Beane spoke to McD and Pegula? So Beane pulled such a bold move just weeks into his first GM gig?

Well, technically he waited until after the game to tell him a tentative deal was in place and get he and Pegula's alignment to pull the trigger. But the Rams GM said yesterday that they first started calling about Sammy right after the Bills declined his 5th year option, and had been in talks ever since. So McD certainly was aware this was a consideration and would have had to be on board with at least the possibility. They said things heated up in the last week so I'm pretty sure they designed those plays to Sammy to show the Rams he was healthy.

Bingo.

/thread

What a waste of a thread. The GM did exactly as he should- he talked with the HC and the Owner and made the trade.

Since McD was already aware of calls - I am sure he and Beane decided at what point compensation was enough and the Rams finally got there. You finally have a functioning FO and people work hard to make it seem out of step - just crazy.

Fans have been asking for a vision - we get 2 guys with a vision and a plan and then people criticize the plan or act like they do not know what they are doing - just makes no sense to me.

But did he talk to M&T Bank first? #rogue

Could we get any more damn dramatic?

I am still not over the trade myself but trying to paint a picture that Beane did this on his own is a giant stretch. Instead of telling McD and Pegs that the parameters for the trade were finally in place at 6pm, he told them at 11pm (or whatever). The talks had been going on for over 3 months. He did nothing unilaterally except his job while they did theirs on Thursday night.

For someone who treats this board as his own personal conversation, replying to nearly every post and cluttering up the board with hundreds of new posts every day, how did you manage to miss a thread already directed to this very topic?

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/195350-does-anyone-believe-gm-beane-about-preseason-game/

Edited by Coach Tuesday

What do you do, take a highlighter and just highlight the words that fit your narrative, then string them into a sentence to fit your point. Explain to me where the article said Beane made the trade without the coaches knowledge. Amazing how you can come to the conclusion you did based on what was stated. But I understand that's what most do these days to prove they are right. As they say don't let facts get in the way of your point.

for the record, I couldn't care less what the FO does or how they communicate, as long as they build a winner.

Undoubtedly, the two Bills decision makers have had plenty of discussions this summer surrounding the possibility of trading Watkins.

So, sure, McDermott didn’t know the timing of when a deal would go down, but he certainly must of have known that it could happen at some point, and perhaps game planned accordingly.

This is apparently what transpired between Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott in the team’s first preseason game.

Edited by ALF

Trading your best young player for a draft pick is some vision.

We have fans have no choice but to wait and see, but this will blow up in their face IMO.

If it does it does, but considering the Bills did not want the 5th year option - I don't think they were planning on having him come back - it is a vision - get something for him rather than letting him go for nothing.