Beane kept news of Sammy Watkins deal from Sean McDermott.

JM2009

That all sounds nice. But I have a hard time believing the opening to the game was not meant to showcase Sammy. If McD wasn't aware of the pending trade why would he be playing into it?

He was aware that there was a trade brewing. He just didn't know Beane had all but pressed "send" until he could get final buy-in after the game.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of understand his explanation. However when you trade someone of Sammy's stature, wouldn't it only be right to discuss it with the head coach before you pull the trigger. Sammy was a huge part of this offense. I'm not trying to draw conclusions but it make no sense.

Trigger was done after game so he had time to tell him afterwards before paperwork signed,

This original post is nothing but a half truth to support a narrative against Beane. The whole truth is Beane did his damn job. After the game Beane, Terry, and Sean sat down and Beane presented the trade options. They had more than one conversation talking about the positives and negatives and SEAN and TERRY Ok'd the trade.

Beane is doing his damn job by listening and negotiating. All 3 said if there wasn't a total agreement, and I am betting Sean has last say as HC, then neither of the trades go down.

This original post is nothing but a half truth to support a narrative against Beane. The whole truth is Beane did his damn job. After the game Beane, Terry, and Sean sat down and Beane presented the trade options. They had more than one conversation talking about the positives and negatives and SEAN and TERRY Ok'd the trade.

Beane is doing his damn job by listening and negotiating. All 3 said if there wasn't a total agreement, and I am betting Sean has last say as HC, then neither of the trades go down.

i just think that this organization has been dysfunctional for so long, some forgot how to recognize when it is actually properly functioning (as it relates to a process like this, anyway). Edited by YoloinOhio

i just think that this organization has been dysfunctional for so long, some forgot how to recognize when it is actually properly functioning (as it relates to a process like this, anyway).

Agrred, but Yolo, the OP knew there was more to this but chose not to post it. I presume the OP doesn't like Beane, esp after the trades, and is pushing their narrative on the situation

Agrred, but Yolo, the OP knew there was more to this but chose not to post it. I presume the OP doesn't like Beane, esp after the trades, and is pushing their narrative on the situation

Wrong. This was the whole article. I'm not sure how I feel about Beane and Co yet because we haven't even played one real NFL game yet with this crew. Draft I liked, but you never know there either for a bit. Pushing narratives-lol-something that you should know quite well.

Don't believe anything you read about McDermott not being in the know about Watkins. It's patent BS.

Wasn't it reported that the Bills and Rams were talking about a second rounder for Watkins right around the draft?

Of course McDermott knew about it.........but he had declined to trade Watkins on draft day.

In the end I think this is all semantics.........they are getting fired in unison in 2-3 years if they don't win..........and bringing Terry Pegula in to get him to sign off might not be the support they think it is.

I am sure at this point Pegs realizes he has no idea what he is doing wrt football..........as you said, is he even really that big of a fan?........but I am certain he will expect the people he hires who are SUPPOSED to know what to do.......to do the job right.

Wasn't it reported that the Bills and Rams were talking about a second rounder for Watkins right around the draft?

Of course McDermott knew about it.........but he had declined to trade Watkins on draft day.

In the end I think this is all semantics.........they are getting fired in unison in 2-3 years if they don't win..........and bringing Terry Pegula in to get him to sign off might not be the support they think it is.

I am sure at this point Pegs realizes he has no idea what he is doing wrt football..........as you said, is he even really that big of a fan?........but I am certain he will expect the people he hires who are SUPPOSED to know what to do.......to do the job right.

If that is the case they actually got ore by waiting. A WR and a 2nd rounder

Well, technically he waited until after the game to tell him a tentative deal was in place and get he and Pegula's alignment to pull the trigger. But the Rams GM said yesterday that they first started calling about Sammy right after the Bills declined his 5th year option, and had been in talks ever since. So McD certainly was aware this was a consideration and would have had to be on board with at least the possibility. They said things heated up in the last week so I'm pretty sure they designed those plays to Sammy to show the Rams he was healthy.

Thank you. Some logic, finally.

Yup. Agreed.

He never said that he didn't discuss whether Sammy fit into their long term plans, or the possibility of trading him. He just said that he didn't tell him there was a potential trade pending right before his first ever game as a head coach.

I can almost guarantee that they discussed Sammy's future with the team long before that trade ever happened. They had been getting trade calls since spring when McDermott decided not to pick up Sammy's 5th year option.

Plus Beane, McDermott and Pegula discussed the trade for hours after the game and they all came to a decision together. It was not just Beane doing it on his own.

please, stop being reasonable. This isn't the ace for it. You need to make wild assumptions based on opinion instead of fact and then become offended by it. Then, start an overly dramatic crusade that doesn't allow you to see what anyone else is actually saying.

Fairly simple. Mcds first ever game coaching in the NFL. Imo beane did the right things and stayed out of the way until the game was over. I assume comman procedure is after the game and the team leaves Mcd meets with Beane and the pegulas. At that point Beane brings up the proposal.

i just think that this organization has been dysfunctional for so long, some forgot how to recognize when it is actually properly functioning (as it relates to a process like this, anyway).

:thumbsup:

Hard to believe in retrospect(isn't it always with the Bills) but this is the same kind of rhetoric we heard with the Rex hire.

Pegula got his man! Surrounding themselves with his guys. Look at all the experienced coaches! Roman was OC in SB 2 years ago! We're good now! Dysfunction solved.

Reality is that we have to take all decisions at face value and not pretend that because the process was different it was better.

Trading Watkins is trading Lynch and Peters all over again.........except maybe that the approval rating is actually MUCH LOWER this time....could scarcely find a handful on here to criticize those trades of what became future HOF'ers let alone the 1/3 or so who disapprove of the Watkins trade.........which tells you all you need to know about how easy it is to sell fans on trading polarizing players........the player they don't know is always better for a large % of the fanbase......hence the love of draft picks.

This is all to make it look like Beane actually has juice here. I'm not saying he doesn't have any, but McDermott runs the show, not Beane.

Actually I think it was to take the pressure of of McD should the players revolt over jettisoning the best talent on the roster on the eve of the season.

Pegula got his man! Surrounding themselves with his guys. Look at all the experienced coaches! Roman was OC in SB 2 years ago! We're good now! Dysfunction solved.

Finally some teachers who will maximize the talent on hand while demanding accountability and not forcing square players into round schemes.

Actually I think it was to take the pressure of of McD should the players revolt over jettisoning the best talent on the roster on the eve of the season.

Finally some teachers who will maximize the talent on hand while demanding accountability and not forcing square players into round schemes.

That is a definite possibility..........but I think Beane just wants draft picks.........and McDermott turned the Watkins trade down before because he wants to win now.........so Beane came up with a plan where he could offer McDermott a replacement receiver to sell him on the deal.

I believe Sal who said that McDermott seemed down about the trade..........he might have even had some sellers remorse in the am.

Playmakers in the passing game are not that easy to find.

That is a definite possibility..........but I think Beane just wants draft picks.........and McDermott turned the Watkins trade down before because he wants to win now.........so Beane came up with a plan where he could offer McDermott a replacement receiver to sell him on the deal.

I believe Sal who said that McDermott seemed down about the trade..........he might have even had some sellers remorse in the am.

Playmakers in the passing game are not that easy to find.

QBs who can reliably and accurately deliver the ball to those playmaking receivers, so they can actually make plays, are even harder to find.

Until we have one, Sammy's departure is not nearly as big a minus as many posters seem to think it is.