These are all marketing moves.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like...a reverse marketing move?

Yes they want some the half in fans to go cheer for other teams :w00t:

I disagree totally. His dumping of SW for a mere 2nd rounder, likely just to avoid looking terrible for not picking up his option and getting " something" in return shows his true colors. He's more concerned with looking good than managing the talent.

Yes you are repeating this story in multiple threads.

like...a reverse marketing move?

:lol::lol:

McBeane could care less about marketing. They are legitimately trying to change the culture and follow through on promises they made when hired.

This team is finally putting value on draft picks and acquiring guys that are right fits for their vision.

Sounds about right. I hope they draft good. I dont wanna be the Browns. A sht load of picks and drafting more busts then a hooters spot.

It drives me nuts how reactive we are as a fan base. When the trade went down I was shocked. Since Friday I have had time to think, read and process what went on.

1. This was not a marketing move

2. According to MMQB Darby didn't buy into the system or the Front Office. He wasn't a good fit because he is a man to man CB, not a zone CB. We got great value for him in Matthews and a 3rd

3. Sammy was going to be an expensive glass doll next year. He is talented but has yet to show what he is capable of because he has been hurt. We received a starting caliber CB in Gains and a 2nd. Gains may or may not start but we saved on cap space for next year and may have replaced SW with a good receiver that has stayed healthy.

4. This Front Office and Coaching staff has said from the beginning that they are committed to the short and long term of this team. Why don't we believe them? To many years of losing makes us cynical.

5. This team is better than last year. Our D will be better and our O should be better based inn scheme. TT actually looked like he was anticipating throws. The pace was good. Will we be a playoff team? Who knows... time will tell but the trade was to help us get through this season with a chance to win and with the possibility of being deeper and more successful next year.

6. Anyone who thinks this FO is trying to lose doesn't look at whole picture, just the fact that they don't like losing Sammy Watkins and Darby.

7. The reason we haven't retained young talent is because of the cap situation we have. Now we have a GM that will be cap conscience and you will see us keep our young talent in the future. Remember the Seahawks when John Schnider and Pete took over. Their first two years were full of trades and FA signings. Now they have a team full of drafted talent that is getter by older.

Edited by PNW_Bills_Fan

It drives me nuts how reactive we are as a fan base. When the trade went down I was shocked. Since Friday I have had time to think, read and process what went on.

1. This was not a marketing move

2. According to MMQB Darby didn't buy into the system or the Front Office. He wasn't a good fit because he is a man to man CB, not a zone CB. We got great value for him in Matthews and a 3rd

3. Sammy was going to be an expensive glass doll next year. He is talented but has yet to show what he is capable of because he has been hurt. We received a starting caliber CB in Gains and a 2nd. Gains may or may not start but we saved on cap space for next year and may have replaced SW with a good receiver that has stayed healthy.

4. This Front Office and Coaching staff has said from the beginning that they are committed to the short and long term of this team. Why don't we believe them? To many years of losing makes us cynical.

5. This team is better than last year. Our D will be better and our O should be better based inn scheme. TT actually looked like he was anticipating throws. The pace was good. Will we be a playoff team? Who knows... time will tell but the trade was to help us get through this season with a chance to win and with the possibility of being deeper and more successful next year.

6. Anyone who thinks this FO is trying to lose doesn't look at whole picture, just the fact that they don't like losing Sammy Watkins and Darby.

7. The reason we haven't retained young talent is because of the cap situation we have. Now we have a GM that will be cap conscience and you will see us keep our young talent in the future. Remember the Seahawks when John Schnider and Pete took over. Their first two years were full of trades and FA signings. Now they have a team full of drafted talent that is getter by older.

You articulated what they (MAY BE) trying to do better than they have (not that I accept every rationalization). And that gives me less faith that these guys are better communicators than prior administration. And communication was a major problem for the prior administration in creating and managing media and fan base relations and expectations. Part of being GM isn't just about finding talent. We've established that with Whaley's regime. Part of it is working with and managing people internally, AND externally. Beane and McDermott just haven't communicated well why these moves make sense leaving it to the fans to argue and make sense of.

They forgot the other stake holders in this team. Yes they sold the trades to coaches. And to the Pegulas. And to the players. But what you see in all this fan reaction is, they haven't done a good job of selling to the fans and media.

That's what you have with young green horn GMs. Whaley made this mistake. And Beane is making the same mistake. Which is disappointing because, unlike other GMs, Beane has a business education background. And that's what is quite damning. Must be a crap business school.

Everyone makes mistakes. He made them with his first moves. It's fine. It's not fatal. I hope he learns from it. He's got next year's draft to get things right. People have short memory. It doesn't matter when you win. All is forgiven.

My boss came and told me.

He gets the text alerts and can carry his phone at work.

He thought I might be mad that they moved Sammy but I was excited in a good way.

I thought no more same old same old these guys mean business.

You articulated what they (MAY BE) trying to do better than they have (not that I accept every rationalization). And that gives me less faith that these guys are better communicators than prior administration. And communication was a major problem for the prior administration in creating and managing media and fan base relations and expectations. Part of being GM isn't just about finding talent. We've established that with Whaley's regime. Part of it is working with and managing people internally, AND externally. Beane and McDermott just haven't communicated well why these moves make sense leaving it to the fans to argue and make sense of.

They forgot the other stake holders in this team. Yes they sold the trades to coaches. And to the Pegulas. And to the players. But what you see in all this fan reaction is, they haven't done a good job of selling to the fans and media.

That's what you have with young green horn GMs. Whaley made this mistake. And Beane is making the same mistake. Which is disappointing because, unlike other GMs, Beane has a business education background. And that's what is quite damning. Must be a crap business school.

Everyone makes mistakes. He made them with his first moves. It's fine. It's not fatal. I hope he learns from it. He's got next year's draft to get things right. People have short memory. It doesn't matter when you win. All is forgiven.

I think they are right leaving it up to the fans to draw their own conclusions.

You never want to run a player down as you run him out of town.

The "We needed to go in another direction" is fine with me.

I disagree totally. His dumping of SW for a mere 2nd rounder, likely just to avoid looking terrible for not picking up his option and getting " something" in return shows his true colors. He's more concerned with looking good than managing the talent.

BS!

I disagree, these are football strategy moves. Time will tell if the strategy is the right one and if it pays off, but at least someone is trying. "Marketing" moves are more like keeping name brand players (Darby,Watkins) even if they don't fit with the direction you are heading in...

Agree. At the same time the whole thing about "bringing cultural change" is a load of crap. NFL players and coaches work their ass off during both regular season and off season. The gaps between good and bad is pretty thin in the NFL. It is really sad when people say Rex ran a country club. That could be further than the truth. The truth is that Beane and McDermott want a different style or approach to bulding a team and want to mold the team to their approaches. Time will tell if the will have success like a Levy or go the same way as Greg Williams or Doug Marronne, who kept emphasizing on this "cultural change". Teams under Marv Levy or Bill Bellichek are winning because they have the talent aligned for their scheme.

Wait until the QB you guys want next year is a bust. At least we can rebuild then.

Bills weren't winning a SB with Watkins and Darby anyways, so what is there to lose?

Having a franchise QB changes the entire completion of the team. Without one, the Bills have floated around .500 for 17 years.

What's more important? Being a little more excited for the year, but knowing deep down that just making the playoffs is a long shot? Or being a little less excited for the year, but knowing that it's because the team is trying to better position themselves for future success?

If the Bills hit on a QB, and are making deep playoff runs in 3-4+ years, all is good. The way the roster is comprised currently, the Bills were in a cycle that tops out around 9-7 on a good year. We want championships!

Lets face it we are headed into a season where none of us are sure if the Bills are going to be Super Bowl contenders or a complete **** show. We were not going anywhere with roster or coaches we had. We might not with the new crew either. But at least it is interesting.

Your first delusional sentence is why a lot of people are pissy over this trade. People actually thought this team was a contender.

The "marketing move", the bills circa 2002-2016 was different than this. They would have rode watkins through the season chasing a 9-7 wild card berth and a 1st round loss. Watkins, assuming he stays healthy would almost certainly lose trade value at the end of the year. Probably likely to have a messy contract/franchise tag situation. He said that he wants players to get "nba money'

It is frustrating, looking at the price brandon and whaley paid for him... but that needed to be ignored by beane. Focus on the future. 6 pix in 3 rounds can be a HUGE shot in the arm for the franchise

PNW gets it.

What do people want to hear, the the Bills FO has given up on 2017? That's a great way for a new regime to establish a culture...

Time will tell us how well these moves make out. Right now, you can say that they benefit LA and Philly. All the Bills need to do now is hit in the draft, and they've got the ammo to make a serious move if needed.

I was as shocked and disappointed as anyone when I heard the trades happened, but after giving it some thought, I'm perfectly fine with them. I don't need the GM to come out and tell me what this was about. Waving Watkins' rookie option was a good move based on his health/availability questions. And if Darby wasn't buying in, getting something for him makes sense.

If the new regime is interested in a slight tear down, in order to build around a top QB, so be it. They'll have the assets, in what could be the perfect year for them to take a QB, and they won't be as burdened financially by not extending Watkins and Darby (with roughly a $18-24 million cap hit).

As to the communication of the GM selling what he has done to the fans isn't his job. Fan are the easiest to appease with wins and success. That is where Bean wants to get. Right now we have lost for so long that we over analyze all the moves with not trust that they have a plan. This group seems to have a plan. Thy cannot tell us exactly why they do everything. If you watched the NBA this last year you would have seen that with Phil Jackson and the Knicks and it has hurt them dearly. The GM cannot say everything because it will limit their ability to follow through on the plan. Tell the fans as much as you can without jeopardizing the plan is what they did.