Here is my issue. Sammy was a definite talent that appeared

Cherrybone

He looked good in camp and he looked good in the preseason game. He's still young with a lot of years to go. One of the bigger issues is the Bills never seem to keep their own talent. That's mind boggling but of course its the way of the Bills.

Now people keep hollering about the amount of draft picks the Bills now have. Well here's my issue we get rid of definite talent for possibles? No one know what or who these picks will turn out to be. Remember theres still a learning curve. And the way Beane is doing things by the time his draft picks start showing any signs of life he'll just trade them for more draft picks.

Building through the draft is a good concept but veterans are still needed to help groom the young guys.

The plan is loud and clear but Beane is hollering he want to win now. How? Look at the receivers we have now. None of them are deep threats and none of them have speed. Remember Tyrod like receivers wide open. Boldin isnt burning people hes a good possession receiver but do we know that Taylor have the confidence to allow Boldin to make plays on the ball? But we want to win now?

Same ol Bills. Just show the fans you're different from what was here before and you'll win them over for three years.

Still cant get over the fact that we never keep our own talent.

Edited by Cherrybone

Aren't we a run first team employing a quick short west coast offense? I could be wrong but I've seen some Carolina games philly brown can get open on a deep ball. He might drop it lol but he has some speed to his game.

Expect to see a lot of passes to shady clay and O'Leary with the wide receivers mixed in.

I've said before you can't replace sammys potential, but his production in this offense is easily replaced.

Maybe you should wait a few games into the actual season to make judgment.

And maybe you should realize that sammy wasn't going to resign here no matter what happened. We weren't going to pay him enough and if we tag him he could just sit out. Just like Leveon Bell.

Aren't we a run first team employing a quick short west coast offense? I could be wrong but I've seen some Carolina games philly brown can get open on a deep ball. He might drop it lol but he has some speed to his game.

Expect to see a lot of passes to shady clay and O'Leary with the wide receivers mixed in.

I've said before you can't replace sammys potential, but his production in this offense is easily replaced.

I hear you but keep believing that we on to something. Beane sound like a guy that want to gut a team out regardless of talent and stockpile draft picks and hope to look like a mad scientist in the process. When you look at the entire picture you will notice the Bills alread have assets to go after a qb in next years draft. But lets keep believing that the goal is to keep acquiring draft picks. So i guess by 2019 we will have 40 draf picks and bsrely a team. Ok

And maybe you should realize that sammy wasn't going to resign here no matter what happened. We weren't going to pay him enough and if we tag him he could just sit out. Just like Leveon Bell.

Maybe you should realize that Sammy already made it clear that he wanted to be in Buffalo he dont want to keep changing teams.

Here's my opinion on what you said -

First, a big reason why the Bills haven't kept their own talent is constant coaching changes, making good players no longer proper fits. So hopefully these new guys are here for more than a couple years and they can actually have a chance to build something properly.

They are stockpiling draft picks to build the type of team they want. When is the last time the Bills did that? That's what Polian did in the '80's and that worked out pretty well. The Bills have tried the bandaid approach for years and years. Time for something new, and building through the draft is a long used and well proven method to build a winning team. Many/most of the best teams in the NFL were built through the draft.

I don't know why you think Beane will trade away his picks just because he traded 2 players that they obviously felt were not long term fits. Doesn't seem like one has anything to do with the other...

I agree building through the draft is a good concept, and that you need veterans to help them along. Which is why they have kept veteran players and not went into full tank mode. Sammy Watkins and Ron Darby were not really veteran players. They've been in the league 3 and 2 years, respectively.

Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Anquan Boldin, Tyrod Taylor, Richie Incognito, Lorenzo Alexander, Micah Hyde (etc) - those are veteran players, and most every one of them are very good about helping younger guys along. The Bills have put a focus on bringing in and keeping character guys like them.

I'm sure a Beane does want to win now, but the most important thing is building a consistent winner for the long term.

As far as a speed receiver - this is a horizontal passing west coast offense, built on short passes w/yards after the catch, possession of the ball/earring up clock. It's not Greg Roman's offense anymore. A deep threat is not as important.

Zay Jones could end up being our deep threat anyway. Or even Matthews. Both ran almost identical 40 times to Watkins. Rod Streator ran a faster 40 time. IMO speed guys are pretty easy to find if they decide they need someone like that and don't have him on the team.

How does trading Watkins really change the win/loss for this year anyway? The offense did alright without him on the field last year. It was the defense who struggled. They've improved their WR core over what they had last year though (especially compared to what they had without Watkins on the field last year).

It's basically a totally different team from last year anyway. There are only like 30 players from last season left. So one Sammy Watkins isn't going to be the difference between winning and losing this year... It's going to be a combination of a lot of things.

Well, we still have Glenn, Wood, Miller, Kyle, Dareus, Lawson, and Preston...Jerry Hughes is basically a Buffalo talent because he did nothing prior... plus the rookies and some other depth guys, obviously...

All teams have to let go of some talent.

I bet if Sammy had stayed healthy and was all-but-guaranteed to stay in Buffalo after this contract year, he wouldn't have been traded.

Any team that has such a history of failure can't rest on it's laurels. And Beane knows that the only player worth building a team around is the QB.

Plan: build a winning team

Prepare: collect assets

Prioritize: QB is the highest

Thats super basic, but they're going through steps like that. Whenever a new regime comes in, you gotta expect some big turnover. If not, its likely that management is doing something wrong.

That's because they didn't pick up the option. A self created problem . After that you have no idea if a deal would have gotten done or not. Just speculation with no basis. We will see if it works out. It seems unlikely given this team's track record.

Well, we still have Glenn, Wood, Miller, Kyle, Dareus, Lawson, and Preston...Jerry Hughes is basically a Buffalo talent because he did nothing prior... plus the rookies and some other depth guys, obviously...

All teams have to let go of some talent.

I bet if Sammy had stayed healthy and was all-but-guaranteed to stay in Buffalo after this contract year, he wouldn't have been traded.

Any team that has such a history of failure can't rest on it's laurels. And Beane knows that the only player worth building a team around is the QB.

Plan: build a winning team

Prepare: collect assets

Prioritize: QB is the highest

Thats super basic, but they're going through steps like that. Whenever a new regime comes in, you gotta expect some big turnover. If not, its likely that management is doing something wrong.

That plan sounds good, but absolutely didn't have to include shipping of SW for a lousy 2.

That's because they didn't pick up the option. A self created problem . After that you have no idea if a deal would have gotten done or not. Just speculation with no basis. We will see if it works out. It seems unlikely given this team's track record.

That plan sounds good, but absolutely didn't have to include shipping of SW for a lousy 2.

Exactly because they still have picks that they can use to get whoever they feel is a possible franchise qb. Whats the point now when the franchise qb will need a consistent target. Once we finally get one then we will be trading a quality left tackle for a wr, leaving a hole on the o-line. The only way the Bills do things.

The draft is a crapshoot - I agree. But Sammy has missed or been limited in about 1/3rd of his games due to injury, so in that respect, he's a gamble too. And what he said about wanting to play his entire career in Buffalo - most players talk like that until free agency rolls around. So there's two gambles: one that he stays healthy and another that he gives the Bills a hometown discount. What are the chances that both of those would have happened?

The draft is a crapshoot - I agree. But Sammy has missed or been limited in about 1/3rd of his games due to injury, so in that respect, he's a gamble too. And what he said about wanting to play his entire career in Buffalo - most players talk like that until free agency rolls around. So there's two gambles: one that he stays healthy and another that he gives the Bills a hometown discount. What are the chances that both of those would have happened?

If he have a good healthy season there os a thing called a franchise tag if they cant come to some sort of agreement. Bottom line is you dont give up elite talent on possibles, bottom line.

Maybe you should realize that Sammy already made it clear that he wanted to be in Buffalo he dont want to keep changing teams.

if I had a dollar for every time a player or coach or GM said one thing. It did another I'd be a millionaire. Just because Sammy made a comment that he wanted to be here doesn't make it a fact.

Maybe you need to realize you have a Sammy obsession that you won't let go of.

Get over him. He's gone. I know it hurts but your just going to have to deal with living without him. Or you can become a Rams fan

The new FO determined that keeping Sammy wasn't worth the cost, and they weren't hamstrung by having spent so much to get him. Getting a 2nd instead of letting him walk at the end of the season seems like a pretty good deal to me.

blah blah blah. WEst Coast offense. You think Sammy couldn't play in that? He could play anywhere. The one time they moved him around including the slot he took it to Revis. Sammy in my opinion made Revis look old.

blah blah blah. WEst Coast offense. You think Sammy couldn't play in that? He could play anywhere. The one time they moved him around including the slot he took it to Revis. Sammy in my opinion made Revis look old.

yeah. And so did Stevie Johnson

if I had a dollar for every time a player or coach or GM said one thing. It did another I'd be a millionaire. Just because Sammy made a comment that he wanted to be here doesn't make it a fact.

Maybe you need to realize you have a Sammy obsession that you won't let go of.

Get over him. He's gone. I know it hurts but your just going to have to deal with living without him. Or you can become a Rams fan

I agree just get over Pat Williams, get over Marshawn Lynch, Travis Henry, Jabari Greer, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, I can go on for days. No wonder its been 17yrs and counting. Lol

I agree just get over Pat Williams, get over Marshawn Lynch, Travis Henry, Jabari Greer, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, I can go on for days. No wonder its been 17yrs and counting. Lol

Are you serious dude? Just stop.

The new FO determined that keeping Sammy wasn't worth the cost, and they weren't hamstrung by having spent so much to get him. Getting a 2nd instead of letting him walk at the end of the season seems like a pretty good deal to me.

But why let him walk at the end of the season. Could have kept him through 2018 for not a crazy amount of money. If he earned the big $$ in that amount of time I would want my team to keep the player. It's a potential top WR, not a random Cornerback

and so does every single team in the league.

And the other teams thats done it do it strategically ala the Patriots. They allow talent to walk because theyre getting prepared to address a different issue, The Bills let players walk because egos, scheme fit, or always determining this player isnt worh it or that player isnt worth it. Nothing strategic at all. Buffalo is starting to be the place where you finish out your rookie contract and you get out asap.

And the other teams thats done it do it strategically ala the Patriots. They allow talent to walk because theyre getting prepared to address a different issue, The Bills let players walk because egos, scheme fit, or always determining this player isnt worh it or that player isnt worth it. Nothing strategic at all. Buffalo is starting to be the place where you finish out your rookie contract and you get out asap.

Every team in the league looses players. To cuts. Trades. And free agency. I'm done arguing with you. I think your an idiot.

Every team in the league looses players. To cuts. Trades. And free agency. I'm done arguing with you. I think your an idiot.

So you insult me because my opinion differ from yours? I thought thats what this board is about, epxressing your opinions and debating about the Buffalo Bills. However its cool. You have a blessed day.

Although there has been a lot of player turnover of drafted players, there have only been a few that you can say made the moves regrettable. The most obvious, and similarity to this Watkins trade, was Marshawn Lynch. After using a 1st round pick on him, he was traded after a couple of seasons for low round picks We then had to watch him have multiple seasons of 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs and helped lead Seattle to two Super Bowls. I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

So you insult me because my opinion differ from yours? I thought thats what this board is about, epxressing your opinions and debating about the Buffalo Bills. However its cool. You have a blessed day.

now you want to argue that I'm insulting you because you have a different opinion than mine? No. I'm insulting you because I think your an idiot. It's that simple.

now you want to argue that I'm insulting you because you have a different opinion than mine? No. I'm insulting you because I think your an idiot. It's that simple.

Cool. Do you know me or ever met me to feel im an idiot? Also i would never trade insults over a message board. But if that floats your boat continue to feel great.

Cool. Do you know me or ever met me to feel im an idiot? Also i would never trade insults over a message board. But if that floats your boat continue to feel great.

no. Hope I never do. I doubt I'd like you outside of here either.

Frankly i dont know who is right on this...w.e are gonna have to watch it play out

I am upset Sammy is gone.....I understand WHY he is gone but I still dont like it.

but....I get attached to players

Exactly where I am at. Like breaking up with a girlfriend. My brain understands it, but it will hurt like hell watching him in a Rams uniform.

Time will heal it. Hopefully it ends up working out for the best for Sammy and the Bills.

I'll grant that the Falcons should have won the super bowl last year, but how many teams have won the super bowl paying a top receiver?

The Broncos did it having just paid Demariyus $14mil but I can't think of another one in recent years.

Point is, Sammy is a stellar talent but he probably isn't going to win us the championship on his own. We aren't delusional about what this team is capable of this year even if there was some hope we were going to surprise the NFL this year.

I think one of Whaley's philosophies still holds true. You pay your QB, LT and one playmaker on offense. We paid our QB, LT and playmaker in Shady. This offense belongs to Shady.

But why let him walk at the end of the season. Could have kept him through 2018 for not a crazy amount of money. If he earned the big $$ in that amount of time I would want my team to keep the player. It's a potential top WR, not a random Cornerback

Because they determined he wasn't worth the cost. As things stand at the moment, picking up Sammy's 5th year option would have tied Mike Evans for 2nd highest paid WR in 2018. Time, the amount of $ he gets from the Rams, and how he performs on the field will determine if it was the right move. I have a feeling it was.