1. 1. Which group is better

• 2016 (RW, MG, SW...)
    • 2017(Z,Q, JM...)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the WR profile they clearly prefer: powerful guys who can fight for and win the ball.

Focus on the WR corps, however, is misplaced so long as we have a QB who can't reliably and accurately deliver the ball.

Good point.

Watkins brought out Taylor's deep ball strength. We have no one now that can do that. The possession, west-coast offense passing game that is Bolding/Matthews/Jones is not Taylor. Makes me think the new regime wants Taylor to fail and have all intentions of positioning for a new QB next year. Otherwise, they, like past regimes, don't know the roster they inherited

Last week- Sammy (everyone praying he doesn't get hurt), Zay and Holmes

Now - Matthews, Boldin, Zay and Holmes

You may argue we are better now compared to last week let alone 2016

Interesting take. I wonder if Boldin caught wind and was jusy waiting for a Sammy deal. They say it was not consummated until Thu night but who knows.

Where's the OBD Mole when you need em?!?

Edited by r00tabaga

Julio Jones and Dez Bryant have struggled with injuries over the last few years, however the WR corps for Dallas and Atlanta are much better with them on the roster. Same goes for Watkins and the Bills.

The ultimate impact of losing Watkins is in the number of 8 and 9 man fronts the Bills will face. With a legit deep threat on the field, the Bills could take advantage of those situations. If they can't make defenses pay, then the running game is going to have a more difficult time.

How many rushing yards did the Bills have last year? How many games did Watkins miss? How difficult of a time did they have last year with Watkins out?

Well, we have to base this purely on potential, since we've seen none of thw new guys play in this offense.

Sammy is obviously the only star here, although Matthews is certainly now slouch.

I have to vote 2016, no question.

There is no doubt that Sammy is the star here.

Somebody mentioned a second ago that we MAY have improved our WR corp by trading Watkins & adding two solid WCO guys in Boldin & Matthews.

I could argue that Gaines will be more successful in this style D, thus making the trades look good all around.

Well that AND a 2nd and a 3rd rd pk!

#definitelydifferentaroundhere

I like the WR profile they clearly prefer: powerful guys who can fight for and win the ball.

Focus on the WR corps, however, is misplaced so long as we have a QB who can't reliably and accurately deliver the ball.

Trying to hijack the thread in the second post? Couldn't you wait a page, or two?

Interesting take. I wonder if Boldin caught wind and was jusy waiting for a Sammy deal. They say it was not consummated until Friday night but who knows.

Where's the OBD Mole when you need em?!?

They also say that LA has been making inquiries since the spring. I am sure they weren't the only team. FO around the league had to know he was on the block.

A old man (bolden). a rookie and a guy who can't catch a cold in the rain. Yep, wayyyyyy better. :wallbash:

That old man had more touchdowns (8) than anyone not named Shady on our team.

And it's AN old man, not A old man.

<sticks tongue out>>>>

Edited by r00tabaga

I also think that when teams stack the box, we will be able to spread them out with draws, roll-outs and some play action that takes advantage of our size at WR and TE. I think we will have a lot of moving pieces and choices for TT to spread the field with. How many times has Brady gone deep. He made a living out of dink and dunk.

I would say overall the 2017 recievers are better. However, what worries me is that none of the top recievers were here last year. Zay, bolden and now matthews are all brand new. Do they even know how the get to the stadium yet? I worry that they don't play with a sense of urgency. I guess that's where McDermott comes in

Sorry, but a potential HOF guy, a productive guy in his contract year and a crazy productive college player taken in the second round.....sounds like a bunch of pros looking to excel for all kinds of reasons. I'll miss Sammy dearly, but I get this going the way it did. Edited by Augie

Let's pretend....

The trade was actually-

Anquan Boldin, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines, 2nd Rd pick and a 3rd Rd pick

For

Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby and a 6th rd pick.

Oh and it went through, cause that's basically our team now. Just wondering if folks looked at it like that if they'd feel different.

Let's pretend....

The trade was actually-

Anquan Boldin, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines, 2nd Rd pick and a 3rd Rd pick

For

Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby and a 6th rd pick.

Oh and it went through, cause that's basically our team now. Just wondering if folks looked at it like that if they'd feel different.

Why would we do that?

Pretend the trade was Sammy for the 1985 Bears if it makes you feel better, but I'll stick with what really happened.

I would say overall the 2017 recievers are better. However, what worries me is that none of the top recievers were here last year. Zay, bolden and now matthews are all brand new. Do they even know how the get to the stadium yet? I worry that they don't play with a sense of urgency. I guess that's where McDermott comes in

Dumbest thing I've read in quite a while

Posted the following in another thread.

Matthews, Jones, Boldin seems like a solid top 3 WRs for an NFL squad to me. Let's say we end up with this:

Matthews: 890 yards & 6 TDs

Jones: 500 yards & 3 TDs

Boldin: 700 yards & 6 TDs

Conservative estimates based on JM and AB's prior 3 years and quite randomly the CBS fantasy projected outlook for Jones.

They combine to give us 2,090 yards and 15 TDs from our top 3 WRs.

Our top 3 WRs statistically from last year - Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin - gave us roughly 1,475 yards and 6 TDs.

A marked improvement just from what looks to be our WR corps' floor. Even if Boldin declines and Jones has an average rookie showing, we got better.