Zooming out, WR corp is better or worse than 2016

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which group is better

• 2016 (RW, MG, SW...)
    • 2017(Z,Q, JM...)

Posted the following in another thread.
Matthews, Jones, Boldin seems like a solid top 3 WRs for an NFL squad to me. Let's say we end up with this:
Matthews: 890 yards & 6 TDs
Jones: 500 yards & 3 TDs
Boldin: 700 yards & 6 TDs
Conservative estimates based on JM and AB's prior 3 years and quite randomly the CBS fantasy projected outlook for Jones.
They combine to give us 2,090 yards and 15 TDs from our top 3 WRs.
Our top 3 WRs statistically from last year - Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin - gave us roughly 1,475 yards and 6 TDs.
A marked improvement just from what looks to be our WR corps' floor. Even if Boldin declines and Jones has an average rookie showing, we got better.

Boldin and Matthews fill the same role. Zay hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. Tyrod has not played in a west coast offense to my knowledge. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. This WR corps doesn't have a true #1 WR.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boldin and Matthews fill the same role. Zay hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. Tyrod has not played in a west coast offense to my knowledge. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. This WR corps doesn't have a true #1 WR.

Do you absolutely need a #1 though? Honest question.

In a run heavy offense with that many capable West Coast receivers we'll be fine.

In a run heavy offense with that many capable West Coast receivers we'll be fine.

That's a good question, I think. I can't say I know enough about the WCO to argue either way. I would love to see our more football knowledgeable posters weigh in.

We've led the league in rushing for two straight years and have finished 7-9 and 6-10.

What do you think?

Maybe about time we got with 2017 football and improved our passing offense?

Or maybe Marrone was right and running every down is the way to go.

That's a good question, I think. I can't say I know enough about the WCO to argue either way. I would love to see our more football knowledgeable posters weigh in.

Some may say no, but Rico's last offense had Thomas and Sanders as 1A and 1B. Both broke 1k yards and saw over 130 targets each with Simien at QB.

It may not be needed. But they had 2 WR's better than anybody we have.

To me WCO was about spreading the ball around evenly using quick horizontal attacks. Wyche and Walsh compared it to rushing because it was like handoffs to WRs basically. I think Watkins can play in any system but guys like Z, Q & JM seem to thrive in the WCO.

To me WCO was about spreading the ball around evenly using quick horizontal attacks. Wyche and Walsh compared it to rushing because it was like handoffs to WRs basically. I think Watkins can play in any system but guys like Z, Q & JM seem to thrive in the WCO.

Wasn't Sammy supposed to be a YAC machine coming out of college?

This team couldn't figure out how to get him one bubble screen a game.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Really impossible to answer this question I think. I will say I do expect better production out of the receiving core this year compared to last year. But that's not to say Watkins/Woods/Goodwin isn't better. Circumstances just lead last year's production to be way down because Watkins missed 8 games. It would be foolish to expect Watkins to miss 8 games again in 2017.

On the other side we have Boldin who will be playing at the age of 37. And he is coming off a year where his ypc tanked from an already low 11.4 to an abysmal 8.7 ypc. Boldin's YPC has gone down in each of his last six seasons so expecting a resurgence above 10ypc could be wishful thinking. Matthews has also seen his YPC decline for two straight seasons all the way down to a low of 11.0 last season. And obviously we have no idea what we have in Zay Jones.

I love offenses from the 1980s.