McD and Beane/ Do you trust them?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winner

The Bills

As frustrating as this must be for Buffalo's fans, who are stuck undergoing yet another rebuild, the Bills are making the right sort of moves as they try to build a team to (eventually) make noise in the postseason. It's clear that the organization had soured on Watkins and had serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy; otherwise, they wouldn't have passed up the wideout's fifth-year option. And if the Bills don't have a lot of faith in Watkins staying healthy enough to pass a physical in 2018, it's difficult to imagine that they would see signing Watkins as a wise decision in the long term, either.

If you're going to move on from Watkins, then, this is a reasonable haul. You might argue that the Bills make a slight downgrade at cornerback by swapping Darby for Gaines, who has struggled with his own foot injuries. It's pretty clear Watkins has a higher upside than Matthews, although the higher floor for Matthews might offer some level of certainty the Bills prefer if they're handing out a long-term deal.

What's really crucial, though, are those extra draft picks. As projected by FPI and using Stuart's chart, the Bills trading their sixth-round pick for Los Angeles' second-rounder and Philadelphia's third-round pick to trade the Rams pick (37, fifth-lowest FPI projection) and Eagles pick (80, 16th-lowest FPI projection) for pick 190 (the Bills have the sixth-lowest projection and that was the sixth-lowest pick of the sixth round, obviously the exact pick will pend specific compensatory selections) is roughly the equivalent of acquiring the 16th overall pick in a typical draft (17.1 points, closest to value of 16th pick, 16.9 points).

That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft, given that they'll have their own pick and Kansas City's selection from the Patrick Mahomes II trade. They can add a third-round compensatory pick for Stephon Gilmore if they cut three players from the group of DiMarco, Vladimir Ducasse, Ryan Harris, Andre Holmes and Steven Hauschka before Week 10, a move I would strongly encourage. Draft picks alone aren't a solution, but the best way to build a sustainably effective team isn't to trade up for a stud wide receiver or an inside linebacker, as the Bills did by sending multiple picks to acquire Reggie Ragland last season. It's to acquire draft picks and build a core of cheap, effective talent. As the Bills try to chase the juggernaut Patriots, they're wisely taking a page out of Bill Belichick's book.

It's exactly the same minus the best qb ever and possibly the best coach ever.

It's exactly the same minus the best qb ever and possibly the best coach ever.

Ha ha, pretty much.

I think that the results come down to what you think of Watkins. I think that he's going to be a star. If that's the case it's an atrocious trade. Darby to me is a better player than Gaines as well (and think he's under contract for 1 more year cheap). The return seems weak to me for he players dealt. I hate the deal as much now as I did 8 hours ago.

Ha ha, pretty much.

I think that the results come down to what you think of Watkins. I think that he's going to be a star. If that's the case it's an atrocious trade. Darby to me is a better player than Gaines as well (and think he's under contract for 1 more year cheap). The return seems weak to me for he players dealt. I hate the deal as much now as I did 8 hours ago.

Funny we just discussed the tanking idea last night,

well, or not so funny...

Edited by Figster

Trust is earned.

If this works out, they'll be here for 10+ years.

If it doesn't, we'll be looking for a new coach in 16 months.

McDermott's all business attitude, all details, schtik sounds somewhat canned. So not sold at all on him

No idea on Beane.

Overall I have no faith the Bills are ever going to be good again.

No depth, KW is 34, journeyman QB, Shady is 29, and no real up and coming young players.

Someone said it, trust is earned. However, I like that fact that they seem to looking forward. Anyone gonna complain about6 picks in first 3 rounds next April?

I'd prefer 5 picks and a healthy SW on the roster. Find another way to get that 2nd.

Ha ha, pretty much.

ditto

2017 is over. 2018 is where they'll have to show us what their plan is. They've made so many deals in the offseason to gather these draft picks and we'll have to wait and see what they do with it.

Those weren't the only options.

Yea it was. We're not getting a first rounder for him. We weren't gonna resign him. So what were the other realistic options?

Keep him, win the Super Bowl and then re sign him to a long term contract for $100M after?

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

2017 is over. 2018 is where they'll have to show us what their plan is. They've made so many deals in the offseason to gather these draft picks and we'll have to wait and see what they do with it.

Yea it was. We're not getting a first rounder for him. We weren't gonna resign him. So what were the other realistic options?

Keep him, win the Super Bowl and then re sign him to a long term contract for $100M after?

They could have easily let the season play out to re-sign him or franchise tag him. Those were legitimate options. Highly talented players is how you win championships, especially if you have the right QB.

Your last question is a silly false choice.

Not giving him the fifth year was the first mistake they made. Now, re-sign him is the right move. He would have signed if the money was right. The third option is franchise him. He's worth it.

This is not the same thing but it's close; it's Jason Peters. The Bills were not willing (stupidly) to pay a fabulous star player what the going rate is and what he is worth. So they let him go to someone that does see how good he is and is willing to not only pay him the going rate but throw in a #1 pick for it. And he becomes a perennial All-pro.