Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I misread you, sorry. And yes, it is a somewhat arbitrary formula, although less so IMO than passer rating (which awards the equivalent of 80 yards for a TD and 100 for an INT, as well as places too heavy an emphasis on completions by essentially counting them twice in the final calculation) and has as mentioned shown the greatest correlation with winning of all the metrics I'm familiar with. They (ANY/A and Y/A) do reside in the same family in that they're both relative measures of efficiency, but one is a better predictor IMO of true performance and successful quarterbacking as it relates to wins.

Yup, although i always thought team passer rating differential was the best predictive stat ever.

Someone please put this thread out of it's misery. The same arguments keep repeating like the same storefronts going by as Fred Flintstone drives along.

you don't have enough time here to truly appreciate how old school TBDers can argue the same point over and over and over and over without changing anyone's minds.

you don't have enough time here to truly appreciate how old school TBDers can argue the same point over and over and over and over without changing anyone's minds.

Exactly!

There are still some people who think Spiller wasn't good, even though Chan Gailey proved that all he needed was some space!

Agreed.

And we're back to this point, huh? So the failure of the last 2 years was on the QB and his favorite WR, both of whom assisted in a top-10 scoring unit, and not on a defense that underachieved horribly in perpetuity?

You mean the same QB and WR who finished in the bottom 3 in passing in the league last season? That same duo? We were top 10 because our OL is prominant in run blocking and Tyrod can run the ball.

So the Bills were able to win without him last year and they have the same offensive line?

Deeper RB stable, best blocking FB in the game, and the biggie, a much improved D, I guarantee it. Interested what Taylor could do without a bi polar D,one he can count on,I'm sure it takes some pressure off him,and can allow him to be more aggressive...

And with our elite run game, defense's are very tired by the 4th, maybe just maybe this staff knows exactly what it's doing and we are contending this year, which I genuinely expect

Edited by JerseyBills

High priced WR are hardly ever worth it unless you have a big time QB who throws the ball a lot.

Better places to spend the $$

IDK if extending a now very average center with huge bucks is money well spent though. Wood has been a trooper but no team in the league would give him anywhere close to what Beane gave him.

I understand the Bills are building from the center out. That extension is the craziest off season move IMO. I guess Groy will be fresh though.

Break a leg....

IDK if extending a now very average center with huge bucks is money well spent though. Wood has been a trooper but no team in the league would give him anywhere close to what Beane gave him.

I understand the Bills are building from the center out. That extension is the craziest off season move IMO. I guess Groy will be fresh though.

Break a leg....

Yeah, this is a move by them I cannot understand at all.

You mean the same QB and WR who finished in the bottom 3 in passing in the league last season? That same duo? We were top 10 because our OL is prominant in run blocking and Tyrod can run the ball.

Yep, the same ones...ranking dead last in the NFL in passing attempts for 2 consecutive seasons will do that.

The data on Sammy is out there, and it's hardly inconclusive. When he's been targeted with a similar ratio to guys like Jones/Brown/Beckham, he's been at least as good.

Philadelphia's passing offense yards

6th 2014

12th 2015

24th 2016

Buffalo's passing offense yards

18th 2014

28th 2015

30th 2016

I'd say Matthews had a lot more opportunities then Sammy to be involved. Maybe he just wasn't open as often.

Opportunity has been the #1 factor...availability comes in at a [relatively] distant second.

Yep, the same ones...ranking dead last in the NFL in passing attempts for 2 consecutive seasons will do that.

The data on Sammy is out there, and it's hardly inconclusive. When he's been targeted with a similar ratio to guys like Jones/Brown/Beckham, he's been at least as good.

Opportunity has been the #1 factor...availability comes in at a [relatively] distant second.

He wouldn't have seen the targets here. And even with the Rams getting the targets will be tough. Do you ignore Gurley, Austin, and Woods, to whom you've committed far more dollars, in favor of Sammy just because you traded a player and a 2nd rounder?

He wouldn't have seen the targets here. And even with the Rams getting the targets will be tough. Do you ignore Gurley, Austin, and Woods, to whom you've committed far more dollars, in favor of Sammy just because you traded a player and a 2nd rounder?

No...you make Sammy the centerpiece of the passing game because he's better than those guys.

Um, if he is the more dynamic player you certainly do. Any smart coach would do that. They haven't committed any money to Gurley, he's still on a rookie deal and the Rams can get out of the Austin contract next year with only a $5M dead cap hit, so he might be gone anyways.

Looks like they'll have to do that. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for him.

he's in the NFC West. Those teams covering him are world different than our AFC E.

He is going to get beat around by Seattle. Field day with SF until those safeties hit him. Arizona and Peterson will be on him like glue, with matheiu giving him grief too.

Sammy has no reason not to out up 1000 yards, though and everyone will annoint him Savior

Just listened to Bill Simmons say Watkins was wide open everytime the Bills played the Pats, but understood the trade as they could not sign him (and injury concerns, however forgetting that they could have extended him).

BTW if OBJ doesn't play this weekend will he be deemed injury prone?