Let's hope this isn't Greggo II.

McD may be a disciplinarian in policy but can anyone site an example of his disciplinarianism in action?

5:00 am airhorns? Bounties? Screaming at guys?

I never heard Gregg's assistants talking about "love".

I know that nuance challenges this board but to equate McD with Greggo is nuts.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That team was all on TD. 1st round picks on Mike Williams, Bledsoe, McGahee and Losman. Pass on Big Ben. Pass on Rodgers. Fire Gilbride. Hire Mularkey to dumb down the offense.

Greg Williams was Super Bowl bound until teams figured out Bledsoe could not throw over the middle. 3 steps, pat the ball, then chuck it or take a sack. That was the offense no matter what. In the worst of it, they went about a month without getting a first down. Indy and Cowboys game stand out for some reason. Bledsoe would change plays on the field.

Greg's problem was standing by, letting it all happen without saying a word. McD has total control. This is his show.

They are night and day. Can we stop this nonsense please?

How do you know? You don't know more than anyone else.

Greg Williams was highly respected and turned out to be crazy. I spent a day watching a SuperBowl with Drew Dledsoe and he told me Williams would just scream obscenities at the team during half-time.

McDermott seems more calm and calculated. But it is OTA's and TC. Let's see what happens when there is real game pressure. Then we will see what type of HC he is.

I don't see the similarities.

I wouldn't call McD a disciplinarian at all. He's not punishing players and making them do push ups. He's organized and structured. That's different than Williams who was a cocky hot-head, yelling and shouting.

Williams thought he was hot stuff and in turn thought his player should recognize that and respect that. He's still like that.

I don't really see any similarities between McD and Greggo

...only the WORD discipline as an adjective....could also be used for Marrone......Greggy was a subordinating cheap hire (900K) by Tommy D who demanded total control and force fed Williams his players.....Williams attempted to command respect with his silly azz airhorn and arrogant attitude, something that MUST be earned......Marrone preached culture change and discipline throughout interview process be he tried to emulate General Patton with his militaristic style, causing Brandon and Whaley to become his two biggest detractors......they hated being included in EVERY team meeting, many after SJF practices going until 9+PM nightly....McD seems to be better rounded, more level headed, earning respect versus commanding it and had a significant hand in the draft/roster.....strictly my opinion, but I think McD's coaching pedigree is far superior versus the other two....BTW, nothing wrong with discipline when properly administered........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I'm leaning towards Dick Juroun because he always had that deer caught in the headlights look.

1. Dopey Dickie Jauron-guy did not know there was an offensive side to the football; pressers resembled Grandma's wake; I had to affectionately nick name him "The Cadaver", a master of 7-9 forever; wasn't he deemed "the players' coach" and a purveyor of "Club Med"?

2. Moolarkey-Moo was not really that bad; just a bit before he was ready; his MAGIC 8 BALL did not always work; all he had to do was beat the '04 Steelers third stringers to break the playoff schneid and failed at 9-7 versus 10-6; urinalists said 2005 would be "up and coming for the Bills" and they "rebounded (COUGH)" with a 5-11 season.

3. Marrone-Saint Doug professed culture change and discipline in his Brandon interviews, and yes, sorely needed. Marrone's problem was he tried a General Patton dictatorial type style which wore thin with Brandon and Whaley. They were required to be in EVERY team meeting and hated it. A post SJF practice dinner was arranged for the coaches and staff at a Fairport restaurant. The restaurant was 20 minutes late in seating the gang and Marrone went nuts. He made everyone in attendance make up the "lost 20 minutes" so they could get back to SJF for team meetings until 9+PM at night.

....a bunch of divas to deal with?....I sure as hell couldn't do it.......but a guy like McD and his coaching pedigree is smart enough to draw a reasonable line in the sand, REASONABLE being the key word....dare to cross it and he'll be at your doorstep, the way it SHOULD be IMO.....

Williams wanted everyone to know how tough he was and how much he was in charge, huge ego a lot like Rex. I haven't seen that from McDermott yet

Agreed. Williams bragged how much of a disciplinarian he was giving examples of how tough he was.

With McD, you really only hear it from the players. Sure McD talks about discipline, but doesn't brag about how tough he is with the players. Also a lot of players express how much love McD has for the players. Never really heard that with Williams

I agree it's all fluff until they win on the field. But I like where this is going. In addition I think our FO is better than anything the Bills has in the 2000s. That is also reason for my optimism.

I do like the idea of players sharing stories about their lives, etc. Getting to know each other adds a new element. However, when I read what Jerry Hughes said, I think he revealed what may be an underlying issue with this team. Here's a quote:

“I have a fantastic mom and dad, so I had no problem talking about them and everything like that,” he said. “It’s building great team chemistry right now. It’s allowing us to kind of be open and vulnerable in front of our teammates and at the same time, you get to know guys on a personal level, not just what they can do on the football field, but get to know the man behind the helmet."

I think the problem may be in that statement.....get to know the man behind the helmet. Maybe the players are putting their helmet on wrong. Your head belongs INSIDE the helmet, and not BEHIND the helmet.

Maybe they need to have a look at this.