• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started this because of the shout box discussion

A vodka sauce?

Spaghetti sauce?

White sauce?

Something with a little kick?

Had Classico roasted garlic sauce.

I could never imagine myself ever eating pre-packaged sauce from a can or jar of any kind.

As a full blooded Italian, its sacrilege..

I always buy Newman's Own marinara, vodka and alfredo sauce.

We had a friend/house guest insist on cooking for us one night. It turns out....he doesn't know how to cook. I just remember a jar of the worst alfredo sauce....no.... the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. That was a decade ago and I've never had an alfredo sauce since. I suspect that's the last time as long as I live.

Wifey makes a killer all day red sauce. But that ain't happening in the warm weather months. There's a lot to be said about the first football Sunday of the season when thats on the stove. Fortunately she makes a ton in the cold months and freezes the extra. Was pleasantly surprised there was still some left a week or so ago. In between we'll have jar sauce, probably Trader Joe, not sure.

She also makes a great vodka sauce semi-regularly, but that's small batch, relatively quick to cook and little in the way of leftovers.

Hardly ever use a red sause on pasta anymore...usually I am an Olive Oil/Garlic/Black Pepper if pasta is the side.

If making a quick red sauce to use on top of a chicken parm , i will brown some garlic, red pepper and shallot in olive oil, throw in a 28oz can of crushed san marzano tomatoes, add a teaspoon of sugar, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Just before adding to dish, will throw in a bunch of julienned fresh basil...pretty damn easy and quick

we only do the homemade stuff, (my mother in law is the one who quaterbacks it now). it simmers for hours on sundays while we watch football. it's a red sauce loaded with meatballs, sausage, pork, and on occasion pigs feet. when going out to eat, and if the place is know to be good, i love to try the vodka sauce.

Started this because of the shout box discussion

A vodka sauce?

Spaghetti sauce?

White sauce?

Something with a little kick?

Had Classico roasted garlic sauce.

OR do you make your own?

Make my own.

4 cans Tutturoso crushed tomatoes.

1.5 pounds beef

2 onions

Fresh garlic

Two green bell peppers

Pack of hot sausages

Mushrooms

Brown the meet, add the sauce, cut up all the additions and add them. Sprinkle in a ton of pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder. Cook on medium low for 4-5 hours. If the sausages aren't cooked before hand you may want to leave it at a low boil for awhile.

For every 2 cans of sauce you use add one can of water.

Edited by Commonsense