Favorite spaghetti sauce that use all the time

mead107

My grandpa had a great recipe and I should get it from my mom but usually don't have time to make anything fresh so go with

https://www.raos.com/product/vodka-sauce/

Good meatballs are unbeatable. I make mine two parts ground beef to one part ground veal and one part ground pork (other ingredients, obviously). Make them large, fry them on the stove and finish them in sauce. I eat them like Adam Sandler in "The Wedding Singer."

My grandpa would also put a little bit of spare rib meat in his meatballs to make them even better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will share just about anything on here but the family recipe. We are a few generations in and I think at this point it's just me, my brother and my sister. We thought about sharing with my aunt but she's not the greatest cook. She has no feel in the kitchen.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Wifey makes a killer all day red sauce. But that ain't happening in the warm weather months. There's a lot to be said about the first football Sunday of the season when thats on the stove. Fortunately she makes a ton in the cold months and freezes the extra. Was pleasantly surprised there was still some left a week or so ago. In between we'll have jar sauce, probably Trader Joe, not sure.

She also makes a great vodka sauce semi-regularly, but that's small batch, relatively quick to cook and little in the way of leftovers.

I make an all day tomato based sauce as well and used to freeze it. The last year we have got into canning it mason jars. Preserves the taste much better and you don't have to worry about lids coming off or bags breaking in the freezer. Also keeps unrefrigerated for at least a year. It is a bit of extra effort but if you are into it its great. I make mine with meat. Sometimes country pork ribs and sometimes meatballs. When canning with meat you can't use the same high heat method you would with jam or canned veggies. You need pressure as well. So it goes in a pressure cooker for 80 minutes or so. This is the one I have and I only wish I got the bigger one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=asc_df_B00004S88Z5107651/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00004S88Z&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091976077&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2221607472585751738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9057125&hvtargid=pla-318840070259

My grandmother gave me her recipe and I have tried 10-15 times to make it. It tastes pretty good, but I can't seem to make it nearly as good as hers. The tricky part is there is just a list of ingredients...no measurements. She just knew how much of everything from making it a zillion times. My grandma made her "tomato gravy" at least once a week always on Monday.

Grandma's and ma's have a way of conveniently "forgetting " to include an ingredient here and there. I"m sure it's unintentional. :angry:

You really don't need sauce to cook for 10 hours. Some, yes, like a bolognese. But you can make an amazing spaghetti sauce in just a coupleathree hours and avoid all the processed sugar-filled crap from the store.

Here's my gig...

Slice up a pound of Italian sausage and saute it over medium high heat in olive oil in a large sauce pan. Cook them well and let them brown the bottom of the pan. When they're done, pull them out and add in one diced onion and one diced head of garlic (just put them together in the Cuisinart. And yeah, the whole head of garlic.)

Use the moisture from the onions to scrape up all the brown bits, and after few minutes add an 8 oz can of tomato paste. (Personally I like the concentrated paste in a tube.) Once the past is warmed through with the onions and garlic, add a cup of dry red wine and bring it to a boil to burn off the alcohol while continuing to stir up the ingredients. As the red wine starts to reduce, stir in two to three 28 oz cans of crushed San Marzano tomatoes. This is my go to.

While that cooks, brown the ground beef. After 30 minutes, add the sliced sausages and (drained) ground beef into the sauce. Keep low heat and stir frequently for another 60-90 minutes. Just before serving, chiffonade some fresh basil leaves and stir them in.

^^^^This, All day long

the secret is the San Marzano Tomatoes. I pay the money, buy the best, get the best sauce. Thats the way it was when I grew up. And the sauce was on the stove all day reducing....i just remember that smell killing me all day...

^^^^This, All day long

the secret is the San Marzano Tomatoes. I pay the money, buy the best, get the best sauce. Thats the way it was when I grew up. And the sauce was on the stove all day reducing....i just remember that smell killing me all day...

You mean you didn't sneak into the kitchen, grab a slice of bread and start dipping!?

You mean you didn't sneak into the kitchen, grab a slice of bread and start dipping!?

We "sampled" all afternoon while Mom's sauce ("sugu") was cooking. I'm amazed we still had any room in our stomachs at dinnertime - but we did.

So........if the wife is gluten free......what's the best way to use a good sauce? Some version of a meatball (avoiding gluten)? Is there a gluten free pasta? Something else? We've done a puttanesca with fish before. Other ideas? No gluten and no dairy certainly limits my cooking adventures. (But she's worth it!)

So........if the wife is gluten free......what's the best way to use a good sauce? Some version of a meatball (avoiding gluten)? Is there a gluten free pasta? Something else? We've done a puttanesca with fish before. Other ideas? No gluten and no dairy certainly limits my cooking adventures. (But she's worth it!)

My wife is gluten free, so initially she'd use the sauce with spaghetti squash, but recently we tried Barilla's gluten free penne, and damn if it wasn't close. It's really come a long way, and she'll take it over the squash, which she genuinely loves.

We find the penne cooks more reliably than gluten free spaghetti, which is thinner and tends to stick together and turn to mush.

Edited by LABillzFan

My wife is gluten free, so initially she'd use the sauce with spaghetti squash, but recently we tried Barilla's gluten free penne, and damn if it wasn't close. It's really come a long way, and she'll take it over the squash, which she genuinely loves.

We find the penne cooks more reliably than gluten free spaghetti, which is thinner and tends to stick together and turn to mush.

The sauce was really good, but I couldn't sell the "fake pasta". It went with spiraled squash, made from the tool my wife gave me at Christmas a couple years ago after watching my sister do it in Providence. Better late than never!