NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you go back to guys in 80 and some of 90s like Thurman, Ronnie Lott. They seem to be fine. Football is a rough sport.

You must not be familiar with Thurman's health these days as he has stated publicly the issues he deals with. Ronnie Lott also knows he'll pay a price for the style of football he played.

Saw several articles this weekend on issues in Colorado now post legalization including not just leaf but other bi-products but not have links since on different computer.

There have been articles in past on it I have bookmarked:

http://www.newsweek.com/deaths-prompt-colorado-crackdown-pot-infused-food-251833

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-denver-deaths-tied-to-recreational-marijuana-use/

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/25/colorado-kids-emergency-room-visits-marijuana-increased/

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us/after-5-months-of-sales-colorado-sees-the-downside-of-a-legal-high.html

There are several pro-cannabist magazines which keep posting statements from US Drug Enforcement stating no deaths but there have been no such statements.

That it is less fatal that other drugs is no doubt but stating it is some pure sunlight like some claim is wrong.

None of those articles are definitive. The one says that marijuana might be a contributing factor. Key words - "might" and "contributing factor". there were obviously more factors that led to those events than just investing pot (if pot indeed did play a role). It was definitely not the sole cause by any means.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that marijuana could have contributed to that guy jumping off the balcony or the other one shooting his wife in those stories you provided. But the bigger cause would have most likely been some type of underlying mental illness. Just like when an anti-depressant or other psychoactive substances play a role in incidents like those. that can be the case with many psychotropic substances (of which there are many) when the people who take them have mental health issues. In many cases, those psychotropic drugs help the mental illness, but in those rare cases they hurt (I have no idea if that was the case in the articles you provided).

I think when people in this thread say nobody has died from marijuana, they are referring to overdose deaths. Which as far as I know, there is still not a single marijuana overdose death on record. I guess you would need to eat injest a ridiculous amount to actually OD on it.

Even if pot did play some sort of role in those 2 deaths, compared to the deaths caused by legal pain pills, like opiates, it doesn't even register on the chart... opiates are killing people at epidemic proportions (literally). Shoot, even deaths from things like aspirin and ibuprofen would put that to shame. Over the counter NSAID pain relievers kills 1000's per year.

Edited by BillsFan4

They are not whining about it. That is inevitable

No argument there, but at issue is pain management for current players and IMO MJ is a far better option than the prescription opioids that are made available to the players by team doctors in ridiculous quantities.

let me get some of that you're smoking, it seemed to have numbed your mind some, babe.

it is LEGAL as prescribed, in many states as well as the one linked. you can trump federal law until the cows come home. unless the feds step in, and I suspect they will to get a slice of the pie, it will remain LEGAL as prescribed.

k. But thr feds still have it as illegal wbich is why commercially major businesses, bamks, etc will not work with tbem

Learn some law. Its illegal

You must not be familiar with Thurman's health these days as he has stated publicly the issues he deals with. Ronnie Lott also knows he'll pay a price for the style of football he played.

soooo you have proof thay marijuana would help thomas by what proof? Are you his doctor? I know you copy paste everything. Did schefter tweet thomas' health reports too?

Bexause your argument is totallt bunk

No argument there, but at issue is pain management for current players and IMO MJ is a far better option than the prescription opioids that are made available to the players by team doctors in ridiculous quantities.

Smoke some of my stuff and try to play football. If all players were responsible and smoke it at night or on off days only...but let's be honest some players are not. They will be lighting up before games and practices.

Very effective drug for pain relief if dosages are rigidly controlled. They haven't been.

As for the weed, I believe the issue is conflict between state and federal laws. I believe doctors should be able to prescribe it.

Smoke some of my stuff and try to play football. If all players were responsible and smoke it at night or on off days only...but let's be honest some players are not. They will be lighting up before games and practices.

And if they do they'll get cut because their performance will suffer

They can abuse pain pills or drink excessively too.

Changing the rules would not make people hit the bong before practice or a game. That is just ridiculous, and I hope you know that. I doubt many have put Grey Goose in their water bottle since Maurice Clarett was shown the door.

They'd most likely have to be smoking at the team facilities to truly be "high" before a game, as the players have to show up hours early.

I don't see that happening, but if it did they'd likely be cut anyway.

There's always the rare exceptions, but what's to stop them from smoking before a game right now? They are only drug tested once a year (IIRC) as it is.

If the NFL did decide to let players use it for pain management, it would be no different than it is now, except it wouldn't matter if they failed their once a year drug test for MJ. It's not like Pegula would be creating some "pot lounge" in the locker rooms or something.

And the NFL allowing it still wouldn't make it legal on the federal level, so it'd be one of those "don't ask, don't tell" types of things most likely (especially for those not living in legal states).

They'd most likely have to be smoking at the team facilities to truly be "high" before a game, as the players have to show up hours early.

There's always the rare exceptions, but what's to stop them from smoking before a game right now? They are only drug tested once a year (IIRC) as it is.

If the NFL did decide to let players use it for pain management, it would be no different than it is now, except it wouldn't matter if they failed their once a year drug test for MJ. It's not like Pegula would be creating some "pot lounge" in the locker rooms or something.

And the NFL allowing it still wouldn't make it legal on the federal level, so it'd be one of those "don't ask, don't tell" types of things most likely (especially for those not living in legal states).

It's effectively allowed now except for those players in the substance abuse program because players are only tested with a certain known window.

hopefully, soon, no doctor will be prescribing opiates that have killed too many people. worst drug ever created.

Though the ease and freedom with which they're prescribed has as much to do with that as the nature of the drug itself. I have a more difficult time getting sinus medication than I do getting a script for oxy.

How you going to know if they smoke it after or before games? You might, oh that guy had a bad game...not knowing he was smoking on the way to the stadium. That's what testing prevents. I look at it from a coaches standpoint

.....I'm not the brightest bulb in the lighting store, but if my doc prescribes Oxy for my pain, how does that differ from YOUR doc prescribing medical marijuana for your pain?...yes it depends on pain diagnosis and applicability, but how can one doc be right and acceptable for his patient versus one being rejected for a questionable YET legal remedy?....I missed the memo............

One is legal but addictive. The other is illegal but not addictive.

One is the product of the pharmaceutical industry. The other is a plant that was used by Mexicans and black people so it was made illegal before white kids started smoking it.

Want proof of marijuana's efficacy? Sorry, it's illegal to do medical studies on marijuana in the USA. How conveeeenient.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The problem with marijuana is it can stay in your system for weeks. Opiates stay in your system for a day or two. Alcohol even less. So you have no idea when a player uses marijuana and can't hold them responsible if they are using before games and practices.

But the high lasts for an hour or two.

Marijuana has many chemical components. Canabidol, or CBD, is where many of the medicinal benefits come from but you can't get a buzz from it.

The problem with marijuana is it can stay in your system for weeks. Opiates stay in your system for a day or two. Alcohol even less. So you have no idea when a player uses marijuana and can't hold them responsible if they are using before games and practices.

Who cares. Survival of the fittest will weed out the bums

We should give our running backs whatever Leveon Bell is smoking

You have no idea what the point is, do you? I'd think you'd be on the side of reason here, but even that escapes you.

How you going to know if they smoke it after or before games? You might, oh that guy had a bad game...not knowing he was smoking on the way to the stadium. That's what testing prevents. I look at it from a coaches standpoint

How does testing once per year prevent players smoking on their way to the stadium?

Players are not tested regularly unless they are already in the league's drug program (for failing a previous test). They could theoretically smoke on their way to the stadium right now, and since they won't have to take another drug test until next year, how would the coach know?

So again, it would be no different than it is now.

How does testing once per year prevent players smoking on their way to the stadium?

Players are not tested regularly unless they are already in the league's drug program (for failing a previous test). They could theoretically smoke on their way to the stadium right now, and since they won't have to take another drug test until next year, how would the coach know?

So again, it would be no different than it is now.

Reason is lost on him, I'm afraid.....

...why do NFL guys smoke it?

Are they that stressed out? Don't they want to be more upbeat and on edge as a player?

I haven't smoked it (more of a beer guy), but the effects of pot (from what others have said) is contrary to what NFL players should be looking for in terms of their approach to the game (relaxed vs detail oriented). Am I wrong?

Are they that stressed out? Don't they want to be more upbeat and on edge as a player?

I haven't smoked it (more of a beer guy), but the effects of pot (from what others have said) is contrary to what NFL players should be looking for in terms of their approach to the game (relaxed vs detail oriented). Am I wrong?

My assumption is that it's more of a post-game thing.

Ur whiter than mamas cornbread

Use your half-baked brain. Honest question. Marijuana slows your reaction time...why use it in an ultra-reactive sport?

My assumption is that it's more of a post-game thing.

So when you make $600,000 per game, you feel stressed out and need something to take the edge off? Got it.

It's NOT a game time thing. It's a chill late at night after a game thing. Anyone (not to mention him by name) suggesting it's going to work into practice or game time......is an idjit.

Who says it's not a game thing? Is there a "pot-a-lyzer" device that screens the players each game? I would wager 25% of players are high on game day.

Depends on the strain...

"Indica strains are known for being physically sedating, perfect for relaxing.

Sativas typically provide more invigorating, uplifting cerebral effects that pair well with physical activity"

www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/sativa-indica-and-hybrid-whats-the-difference-between-cannabis-ty

Hope I'm allowed to post this. If not my apologies.

Who says it's not a game thing? Is there a "pot-a-lyzer" device that screens the players each game? I would wager 25% of players are high on game day.

I will put my 401-K on that! Not on pot, no way. Any kind of upper, I'm not gambling. NFL players dont "chill" for kickoff more than lottery odds.

Depends on the strain...

Sativas typically provide more invigorating, uplifting cerebral effects that pair well with physical activity"

www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/sativa-indica-and-hybrid-whats-the-difference-between-cannabis-ty

That's helpful. Do you think guys who smoke the more invigorating brands have a "leg up" over guys that just drink Gatorade? (Think Randy Moss in "Rand U")

Speaking with some experience. Marijuana is excellent for managing pain. I don 't think that completely answers the OP's question but it should be considered. Also using it for pain does not mean you are high at work!

I will put my 401-K on that! Not on pot, no way. Any kind of upper, I'm not gambling. NFL players dont "chill" for kickoff more than lottery odds.

Once again - think of Randy Moss (30 for 30: Rand U) He was high during high school and college games. Why not the NFL?

Depends on the strain...

I learned about some of this on recent trip to Denver. Just went to look. I have no idea on any of this, but if you're not WACKO Lawrence Taylor, you focus on the task at hand. IMO

Once again - think of Randy Moss (30 for 30: Rand U) He was high during high school and college games. Why not the NFL?

I won't call it impossible by any means, but the odds go down as the stakes go up. It may happen, but I'm sure its rare. And the leagues policy is irrelevant.