Will Goodwin 'Take Off' in San Francisco?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was pretty good last year. But not sure he's reliable enough for the contract they gave him. He's a decent depth guy imo.

As far as injuries go the guy had bad luck but I think I read he ended up playing more games for the bills last year than any other WR.

Yes that was the big thing last year and it is no coincidence that he stopped training for Olympics and it was his contract year.

We all know who Goodwin is as a player. At least we all do here. In SF, they will learn soon enough. Supremely fast, often injured and nowhere near a complete WR. He will beat some defenses deep enough to tantalize, but finish with 400-500 yards, a great YPC average and a poor YPT(arget) average.

Goodwin always looks good in camp. He is talented - a better receiver than some have given him credit for in terms of ability - he just gets hurt too often.

This is the truth.

They're probably thinking that they got a steal right about now. Then when he gets hurt taking a knee on a kickoff return the reality will set in.

This is the truth.

They're probably thinking that they got a steal right about now. Then when he gets hurt taking a knee on a kickoff return the reality will set in.

That can be hard on the hammy if not properly warmed up. And if you down too quickly, you can bruise a kneecap. There's all kinds of things that can go wrong....

I don't see the arm on the roster to capitalize on Goodwns strength.

good point. Even if they get Cousins at some point, his deep ball is inconsistent. I think Goodwin improved last year with his routes and was able to contribute on sideline catches and not just running go routes. So maybe that continues. Edited by YoloinOhio

Typical Goodwin. Looks good during training, disappears once the pads come on, on the sidelines injured once the games start. He would be a good player if this was flag football but unfortunately if you weigh 170 pounds you are going to get lit up by grown men

I mean he has the ability to be Gabriel in that San Fran offense. Shanahan knows how to use guys with speed. I just believe he is too brittle. Or it could be that he was so focused on the Olympics while he was here that he was never really in football condition. Either way, if he stays healthy, 700-800 yards and 5-8 TD's isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Typical Goodwin. Looks good during training, disappears once the pads come on, on the sidelines injured once the games start. He would be a good player if this was flag football but unfortunately if you weigh 170 pounds you are going to get lit up by grown men

The guy just isn't a football player. The 170 lbs issue is the least of his concerns. Guys like Cole Beasley who are 170 lbs are real football players who understand the game so they don't get "lit up".

Goodwin isn't going to do anything special in San Francisco. Does anyone really see him "taking off" with Brian Hoyer and/or Matt Barkley throwing him the football? I don't. Just like the Jets, the 49ers are pretty much in a rebuilding mode and I see this next season as a bail to get ready for the 2018 draft. Goodwin's contract appears to be the typical "bridge" contract that a team gives a player when they're in transition. Besides that, Pierre Garcon got the big money to presumably be the #1 WR for at least the next 3-4 years.

Goodwin isn't awful. He played in 15 games last year and averaged 15 yards a reception. He has a role. Goodwin's contract exceeds his worth IMO but I wouldn't be surprised if he contributed in SF. 600 yards and 6 TDs in Shannahan's offense isn't out of the question. That's not incompetent. He's an okay NFL player.

Goodwin isn't awful. He played in 15 games last year and averaged 15 yards a reception. He has a role. Goodwin's contract exceeds his worth IMO but I wouldn't be surprised if he contributed in SF. 600 yards and 6 TDs in Shannahan's offense isn't out of the question. That's not incompetent. He's an okay NFL player.

I went to a Jets game in Goodwin's rookie season. Awful weather and it was EJ & his starting WRs were Goodwin and Graham. And they destroyed the Jets and MG looked like a complete receiver.

Also, the fact EJ & those WRs destroyed Rex should have been a warning sign.

I went to a Jets game in Goodwin's rookie season. Awful weather and it was EJ & his starting WRs were Goodwin and Graham. And they destroyed the Jets and MG looked like a complete receiver.

Also, the fact EJ & those WRs destroyed Rex should have been a warning sign.

Oh lord, now I'm going back and recalling how TJ Graham caught one of those fluttering TD passes "like a punt" - using Ian Eagle's own words. That game was all sorts of ugly, but Da'Norris Searcy had a really cool pick 6.

Hell have a takeoff season alright. Hell take off games 1-4 with a pulled hamstring. Hell take off games 7-11 with a cracked rib. Hell take off games 13-16 with a high ankle sprain. It will all add up to 12 catches for 150 yards with one 65 yard td.