Going to first home Bills game!! Help planning.

Depending on how much time you have, a side trip to Letchworth State Park is a bonus.

There is plenty of tailgating to be had. We have gone to the Wings lot and met some terrific fellow Bills fans and will be doing that again this year for the opener.

Close to the stadium, at Chestnut Ridge park, the eternal flame. A roughly 45 minute hike. Stay on the trail there is no short cut. The wings lot is a 20 minute walk to the stadium so that means a long walk back after the game( the owners never tell you that) Very dangerous journey to the stadium. 2 lane road no sidewalks. You can find better lots closer and safer.

Will you be allowing table slamming this year? Mead wanted me to ask.

I think he wanted to know about table sleeping not slamming and no to both. Edited by Hammered a Lot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am originally from Buffalo but left a long time ago. We have gone to 2 games in the past 3 years and had a fabulous time.

The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is 1000% more beautiful (what a shame that more thought and money hasn't gone into the American side). Having a rental car helps a lot and there are a ton of nice hotels near the airport. Everything is fairly easy to get to in the Buffalo area, but hate all of the tollbooths (bring change).

Depending on how much time you have, a side trip to Letchworth State Park is a bonus. Very spectacular, especially with the changing of the foliage.

There is plenty of tailgating to be had. We have gone to the Wings lot and met some terrific fellow Bills fans and will be doing that again this year for the opener.

Last time I rented a car from Hertz at the airport, my car had a speed pass, worked at the Peace Bridge as well. It was fabulous using those speed pass lanes.

Buffalo is not a walking town and certainly Orchard Parknis not. Rent a car, see the sights. There's a good weekend full of impressive things to see in the area. You'll regret it if you just go to the game. That's assuming you're coming from any distance.

I'll be coming up Friday for the Broncos wth wife and kids. Current plan is spend Saturday at Niagara Falls, looked like there was enough to do for the day.

Close to the stadium, at Chestnut Ridge park, the eternal flame. A roughly 45 minute hike. Stay on the trail there is no short cut. The wings lot is a 20 minute walk to the stadium so that means a long walk back after the game( the owners never tell you that) Very dangerous journey to the stadium. 2 lane road no sidewalks. You can find better lots closer and safer.
I think he wanted to know about table sleeping not slamming and no to both.

That looks cool. I was thinking of heading to Lockport Caves Friday afternoon but I may need to reconsider.

I don't think there is a hotel/motel close enough to walk from.

Booked a hotel in Amherst. Looked like it was central and close to the wing and pizza places mentioned in other threads. I really don't know the area, any reason not to stay there?

I really don't know why any out-of-towner wouldn't try to stay downtown, particularly if you're coming in when the weather is still nice.

Serious question: what is there to do downtown? I'll have Friday afternoon and Saturday free and I'll have wife and two middle-schoolers in tow,

Serious question: what is there to do downtown? I'll have Friday afternoon and Saturday free and I'll have wife and two middle-schoolers in tow,

Well, first of all, you're closer to the Falls and I assume you're planning on a visit there. Second, the Canalside area is bustling. There's Delaware Park. Albright Knox. Certainly more "to do" than there is in Amherst. And of course more dining choices.

Well, first of all, you're closer to the Falls and I assume you're planning on a visit there. Second, the Canalside area is bustling. There's Delaware Park. Albright Knox. Certainly more "to do" than there is in Amherst. And of course more dining choices.

Cool. Thanks.

- Lots of places for "best" wings- it depends where your staying and the closest "best" place. Duffs, Gabriels gate, 911, and the Anchor Bar are staples and easy to get to if your in the city.

- If your only staying for 1 night I would highly recommend axing NF and do that in its own seperate trip. You will only have enough time to drive there and say yay, I saw the falls and not much more.

- As to where to stay- theres a quaint yet fun town called East Aurora south of Buffalo and very close to the stadium- about ten minutes. They have nice bed and breakfast joints and some top notch places to eat. The Barbill, imo has the best Wings and Beef on Weck in Western NY. The best part of East Aurora- you can party and walk easily thru main street. Consider the Marriot at Harbor Center if your desire is to stay in Buffalo.

As for Tailgating- Hammers is always said to be the best. Ive never been as there tons of other good places as well. I do a private lot right on the 50 across the stadium lot Bills side. Its alot of fun back in those lots.

Better get your tix soon- upper deck is cheap and not bad if you get lower upper decks. End zones arent the best view but they are cheap enough, fun, and you can still see fairly well.

Best of luck- feel free to PM me I know the area like the back of my hand.

A note on duffs: unless you're going to the one in orchard park, DON'T.

Just relax this is a friendly blue collar town. Most people are very friendly. Some fans can be drunk jerks but 95% are nice people. But all of the attention is placed on the jerks.

Rules for enjoyment.

• The stadium is always 5 to 10 degrees cooler then the weather report no matter the time of year. Why? The winds. So plan it that way. If it is a hot September game bring a light jacket, you will regret it if you don't because 5PM temps drop a little.
  • Walk around a lot.. you can people watch a ton. You will see drunk idiots and women being sexy (yes, even in December). You will see families cooking, laughter everywhere. Random people will talk to you about the Bills. College kids acting like college kids, World War 2 veterans that have not missed a game since the beginning of the franchise.
  • Buy local craft beer. Some of the best beer is created right here in WNY.
  • Carry around a small bag of peanuts. Trust me you will need them.
  • Show up to the actual game at 1230. The gates move slow. If you show up at 1245 you will get trapped in the crowd and miss kick off.
  • Have easy to prepare food with you...
  • Drink up before the game because beers inside New Era are crazy expensive. I only drink once during the game. Then I sober up all game.
  • Food inside is also expensive.... enter the stadium full!!!!
Edited by Iraq Vet

Just relax this is a friendly blue collar town. Most people are very friendly. Some fans can be drunk jerks but 95% are nice people. But all of the attention is placed on the jerks.

Rules for enjoyment.

• The stadium is always 5 to 10 degrees cooler then the weather report no matter the time of year. Why? The winds. So plan it that way. If it is a hot September game bring a light jacket, you will regret it if you don't because 5PM temps drop a little.
  • Walk around a lot.. you can people watch a ton. You will see drunk idiots and women being sexy (yes, even in December). You will see families cooking, laughter everywhere. Random people will talk to you about the Bills. College kids acting like college kids, World War 2 veterans that have not missed a game since the beginning of the franchise.
  • Buy local craft beer. Some of the best beer is created right here in WNY.
  • Carry around a small bag of peanuts. Trust me you will need them.
  • Show up to the actual game at 1230. The gates move slow. If you show up at 1245 you will get trapped in the crowd and miss kick off.
  • Have easy to prepare food with you...
  • Drink up before the game because beers inside New Era are crazy expensive. I only drink once during the game. Then I sober up all game.
  • Food inside is also expensive.... enter the stadium full!!!!

You obviously have never been to an early season game when the mercury is over 80. If you sit on the sun side it is absolutely roasting time for a 1pm game. Very hot & no way in hell it is 10 degrees cooler for those early September games when the temp is over 80 & the sun is out. Now Nov/Dec are totally different stories when the win picks up.

You obviously have never been to an early season game when the mercury is over 80. If you sit on the sun side it is absolutely roasting time for a 1pm game. Very hot & no way in hell it is 10 degrees cooler for those early September games when the temp is over 80 & the sun is out. Now Nov/Dec are totally different stories when the win picks up.

Wins definitely don't pick up in Nov/Dec...exact opposite actually...