Confession

If someone has more than three warning points, does that make him a TBD sinner?

Asking for a friend.

I'll let the mods field this one, but I believe 3 warning points is the equivalent of saying a curse word in front of your grandmother. 4 Hail Marys and 4 Act of Contritions should do it.

Asking for a friend.

It depends on what the warning point was for. Sleeping with your neighbors wife is a lot different than saying a curse word.

I'll let the mods field this one, but I believe 3 warning points is the equivalent of saying a curse word in front of your grandmother. 4 Hail Marys and 4 Act of Contritions should do it.

What if you were just quoting your grandmother? My kids want to know...

I still go, I always ask the priest if he wants to go first or should I........

Nah it generally means the moderators don't like you

That is NOT TRUE!!!!! (mods - please chime in)

I was raised Catholic but wised up later in life and quit the whole shebang. Organized religion is just a more civilized form of a cult, a way for a few to control the many, it's brainwashing at best.

Exactly, I've felt this way since I was 17. I also remember going with my good friend at the time and his parents to a "born again" sermon at their church. I spoke with few people after the service and realized how most of them seemed to only turn to religion because they did stuff in their past that scared the s*&^ out of them.

Also, some guy claimed he had the power to heal people and went around slapping people in the forehead causing them to seize. Never again.

Edited by Captain Murica

Few of the priests I've seen lately actually have a good grasp on the English language. Mostly, it seems the priests are "shipped in" from Eastern European and African countries. I went to a wedding last month in the church that I grew up in, and the priest was from The Ukraine. Could barely understand the guy. The priest who married my cousin (at a different church in my hometown) was from Cameroon.

My grandmother died in 1996. Back in the day, late 1980s, I would have to drive her to confession, she never drove and was getting too old to walk to church (St.Josephat's in Cheektowaga).

Well... Anyway, I pick her up after receiving the sacrament of confession and she is beside herself. I am like: "Grandma, what's wrong?" She said that the new priest doesn't speak or understand Polish, only English. Wow, I never knew that for 80 years my grandmother only said confession in Polish! Quite a dilemma & it rocked her world when the non-Polish speaking priest was brought in.

My grandmother died in 1996. Back in the day, late 1980s, I would have to drive her to confession, she never drove and was getting too old to walk to church (St.Josephat's in Cheektowaga).

Well... Anyway, I pick her up after receiving the sacrament of confession and she is beside herself. I am like: "Grandma, what's wrong?" She said that the new priest doesn't speak or understand Polish, only English. Wow, I never knew that for 80 years my grandmother only said confession in Polish! Quite a dilemma & it rocked her world when the non-Polish speaking priest was brought in.

Hahaha...people hate change.

Having been raised protestant, I just don't get confession, no where does it say in the bible you have to confess to a priest. Just a simple prayer , silent in your head while driving your car gets the job done in my religion! No fuss! No muss!

You know the Catholic Church is Apostolic with direct line to Jesus. Protestants were all Catholics at one time.

Anyway:

John 20:21-23

John 20:21-23New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)

21 Jesus said to them again, Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

"In confessing their sins and receiving absolution through the ministry of a priest, Catholics are follow-

ing the teaching of Jesus and His Apostles, both in the Bible and in the Sacred Tradition of the Church. Jesus

empowered His apostles to forgive men's sin, sending them to be ministers of reconciliation in His name, as His

Heavenly Father first sent Him."

Having been raised protestant, I just don't get confession, no where does it say in the bible you have to confess to a priest. Just a simple prayer , silent in your head while driving your car gets the job done in my religion! No fuss! No muss!

You know the Catholic Church is Apostolic with direct line to Jesus. Protestants were all Catholics at one time.

Anyway:

21 Jesus said to them again, Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

"In confessing their sins and receiving absolution through the ministry of a priest, Catholics are follow-

ing the teaching of Jesus and His Apostles, both in the Bible and in the Sacred Tradition of the Church. Jesus

empowered His apostles to forgive men's sin, sending them to be ministers of reconciliation in His name, as His

That's the beauty of religion. Interpret the sacred texts in whatever way is most convenient for you.

You'll be fine. Everything's fine.

That's the beauty of religion. Interpret the sacred texts in whatever way is most convenient for you.

You'll be fine. Everything's fine.

Yep. Beauty of the word. Cut out all the books of the Bible one doesnt like also. Blame it on the work load of Monks.

;-)

Did I mention my Grandmother said Confession in Polish for 80 years. ;-)

Asking for a friend.

My guesses

they are

Suspended

then

Banned

I see a number of former BBMBers were just in the penalty box

what do you call a person with

0 warning points

A good guy (or damn lucky)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Anyway:

You piqued my curiosity and I found this

Protestant Objections to Penance

The Protestant Reformation came about as a reaction to what the reformers perceived as abuses by the Roman Catholic Church. At the time of the Reformation, the Catholic Church offered indulgences. Indulgences allowed a person to confess sin and receive absolution based on a donation to the Church. The Reformers saw indulgences directly tied to the sacrament of penance, and in rejecting indulgences, rejected that sacrament. Protestants instead taught the doctrine of the "priesthood of all believers," which means that an individual can confess directly to God without a priest.