Confession

You guys are heathens! No wonder the BILLS suck every season. On the one hand we have Brady & Kraft selling their souls years ago, and now this?? :devil:

I am Hessian not heathen but it is close. Was raised Catholic, ordained in college (Eucharistic minister) and post college have rarely have gone, only before church when I was planning on taking communion. Lat time I went approximately 20 years ago I told priest I did remember prayer he told me say and told him so. Have not been back since.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting observation. It seems that the old school Catholic Churches we grew up with are going by the way side, and are being taken over by these "strip mall" churches where they have fun and dance and sing to house Christian rock bands. They have popped up all over the place in my town. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this...just my observations.

You go to a Wednesday mass at the Roman Catholic Church down the street and you see 13 old ladies sitting in the pews. You go to these new-fangled "light" churches on a Wednesday night and it's standing room only.

I'm a non practicing Episcopalian so even if I were among the faithful flock, confession does not apply.

No confession and reduced guilt. It's Catholic Lite.

HAHA ... I was raised Episcopalian and always referred to it as Catholic lite too.

Supposedly true. Organized religion is full of contradictions and hypocracies.

preist just want to get their rocks off on the juicy stories.

Just humans way of trying to explain things. What happened to Thor and Zeus?

Just humans way of trying to explain things. What happened to Thor and Zeus?

Thor got his own day. A day celebrated during the late summer thru the early winter with modern American gladiatorial games.

The traditional Western/Christian image of God as a bearded guy sitting on a throne derives from the Statue of Zeus at Olympia:The-Statue-of-Zeus.jpg

HAHA ... I was raised Episcopalian and always referred to it as Catholic lite too.

My friend says that about Lutheranism. (She was raised Lutheran.)

My in-laws are Methodists. They have a Catholic friend who said, "Methodist - that's like Catholic, right?" I said, "Same textbook, different college."

Interesting observation. It seems that the old school Catholic Churches we grew up with are going by the way side, and are being taken over by these "strip mall" churches where they have fun and dance and sing to house Christian rock bands. They have popped up all over the place in my town. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this...just my observations.

You go to a Wednesday mass at the Roman Catholic Church down the street and you see 13 old ladies sitting in the pews. You go to these new-fangled "light" churches on a Wednesday night and it's standing room only.

Where I live, going to church is a status thing. It's packed. If you don't go, you're "one of those people," which I'm one of. Bunch of hypocrites. Last time I went to church for anything other than a wedding or a memorial service was in 1987.

Thor got his own day. A day celebrated during the late summer thru the early winter with modern American gladiatorial games.

The traditional Western/Christian image of God as a bearded guy sitting on a throne derives from the Statue of Zeus at Olympia:The-Statue-of-Zeus.jpg

He looks like he went to Harvard and wears a wedding ring whilst playing football.

It's more of a keep myself humble/level headed exercise. It's behind a wall so I don't think they even recognize the voice.

But yeah I went to Catholic school for some years growing up. Those were the least Catholic kids I ever met in my life

My catholic high school required that we attend a service of every religion we could find. It was enlightening and I respect them for not being "protective" and fearing a loss of loyalty. My wife is fiercely catholic, but she likes the popular 7:30am mass which is an "in and out in a jiffy" deal. Maybe she gets just what she needs. I just go (when she's NOT doing 7:30am) for the homily. That lasts on average 7 minutes at most places. Not much out of an hour.

The mega-center places I've been to have 45 minutes of music before anything I care about happens. My son has been blessed to be with and work with some really huge (global) names in the Christian music and mega-church world, and that was a cool phase in his life. I personally do not need the concert first, just something that makes me have some better perspective and a good feeling when I leave. I'm a semi-old man 'tweeter.

I don't have much experience with the Catholic Church, except attending mass a few times with a catholic friend. But it didn't seem very kid friendly, other than having a cry room for infants.

Catholic mass went downhill after they stopped doing the mass in Latin...Solemn mass was something to behold!

You guys are heathens! No wonder the BILLS suck every season. On the one hand we have Brady & Kraft selling their souls years ago, and now this?? :devil:

This is our purgatory.

So you can do bad things, then go to confession and all is forgiven. Maybe we should do that with criminals and save on jail cost.

Do you get warning points? After 10 you get banned?

I'm kind of hoping that being a Bills fan is banking up some penance/purgatory credits

Sadly don't forget funerals.

...There is a Monastery near here. .Best mass's, no sermon, no collection just 30 minutes of the real stuff.

There is a home for homeless men near where I grew up, quick mass there also. Christmas Eve mass would be done in under 40 minutes. And for those wondering how I know about this place, my Grandmother would volunteer there, as their barber.

http://unityacres.org/

You Catholics don't need to confess; you seem to do a lot of it on Off the Wall.

Bless me Two Bills Drive, it has been 30 seconds since my last confession....

Catholic mass went downhill after they stopped doing the mass in Latin...Solemn mass was something to behold!

Few of the priests I've seen lately actually have a good grasp on the English language. Mostly, it seems the priests are "shipped in" from Eastern European and African countries. I went to a wedding last month in the church that I grew up in, and the priest was from The Ukraine. Could barely understand the guy. The priest who married my cousin (at a different church in my hometown) was from Cameroon.