Do you use at work what you learned in school?

My family are poster children for not using your degree...

Brother 1 - Pilot - now Assistant Fire Chief for a fire dept. outside of Cleveland

Sister - meteorology - now computer programmer for a dairy co-op

Brother 2 - photography - IT director for a large construction company

Brother 3 - electronics repair - now forklift operator

I'm closest to my degree - Computer Information Systems - now installing Point Of Sale systems at restaurants.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I use my degree.

Went to college for Biology to be a vet. Took honors math with Biology classes as well computers. After comparative anatomy realized I did not have memory required and switched to Applied Mathematics. In final year University changed requirements for degree to require a 400 level engineering class so walked over to Computer Science class and talked to the dean. He told me they have limited slots and I needed to pass all of the weeder classes. I told him I did and got straight As in every computer class. He pulled up transcript and said I only needed 3 classes to complete degree but two of the classes were taught simultaneously. Spoke to both professors and they had no issue with me taking classes at same time (technically the classes were not simultaneously but overlapped but did not point this out to dean. Dean approved two classes .

In many of my jobs my math background has made a big difference on jobs I did with emphasis on proofs and analysis. Actually derived an algorithm on one job which a patent was applied for and granted.

Brother 1 - Pilot - now Assistant Fire Chief for a fire dept. outside of Cleveland

I'm closest to my degree - Computer Information Systems - now installing Point Of Sale systems at restaurants.

I had no idea that's what you did. Which system?

Aloha and Xpient.

I thought when I asked that it's been so long since I worked in restaurants that I'd likely not know the systems you install and I was right. I remember when those first came out my first question was "so, how are we doing to get orders to the kitchen when the system goes down?" They looked at me like I was crazy. So I made sure we had plenty of pads of the old fashioned guest checks around just in case. Well it's a good thing I did. It's not that the systems went down a lot but it was good we had a backup plan when they did.

I studied podiatry and work as a ... Podiatrist. A lot has changed though since Uni. Biomechanics have evolved with computing, some of the wound dressings, Flaminal and Sorbact. Imaging. Vascular. The principals are still pretty intact. Anatomy is anatomy. Surgery is finer, less "destructive"- 1990's had 7 approaches to a bunion surgery, that's about 154 approaches nowadays.

Yes.

I have a PhD in history and used my degree for a few years as an adjunct (ie part time) college prof and middle school teacher before taking some programming classes and switching to Information Technology where for 30 years I made computers jump through the hoops my clients wanted them to jump through (applications programmer).

If I had it to do over again, I'd have definitely gone into engineering. Of course, back when I was in HS, girls didn't go into what we now call STEM (science/technology/engineering/math). Actually, not enough girls go into STEM today. If you're a HS or college student of the female persuasion, ladies, seriously consider STEM majors. If you're a parent, encourage both your daughters and sons to go into STEM. That is where most of the new jobs for the future will be.

Interesting responses. Maybe I'm wrong but Bills fans tend to be stereotyped as blue collar. Mostly everyone here's college educated and have white collar jobs

STEM education leads to jobs in the real world. We are on computers most of the day, so we are going to most likely respond.

And we want to encourage the next generation who have been covered in 20 tons of negative bullcrap from the media telling them everyone is racist or hateful and there are no jobs and you don't stand a change.

Do your best, get a degree in a useful discipline and things will turn out okay for you. It will be a different path most likely from what you were told growing up, but they were exaggerating about their life path...

Not really, but everyone assumes I do.

First line on any job spec for me: 'Accounting or Finance major'

Interesting responses. Maybe I'm wrong but Bills fans tend to be stereotyped as blue collar. Mostly everyone here's college educated and have white collar jobs

The blue collar guys are working, not sitting at a desk (or in my case on a ferry/bus) posting on TBD.

Yes.

I have a PhD in history and used my degree for a few years as an adjunct (ie part time) college prof and middle school teacher before taking some programming classes and switching to Information Technology where for 30 years I made computers jump through the hoops my clients wanted them to jump through (applications programmer).

If I had it to do over again, I'd have definitely gone into engineering. Of course, back when I was in HS, girls didn't go into what we now call STEM (science/technology/engineering/math). Actually, not enough girls go into STEM today. If you're a HS or college student of the female persuasion, ladies, seriously consider STEM majors. If you're a parent, encourage both your daughters and sons to go into STEM. That is where most of the new jobs for the future will be.

What was your PhD thesis on (in 1,000 words or less that won't give me a migraine)

One of the worst thing about University was that the most gifted instructors in the non-STEM areas had no hope of finding employment in the ivory tower.

The female side isn't rushing to sign up for the upper regions of STEM, nor is it carrying it's proportion in the real world. I guess an argument can be made for discrimination but I won't bother with any other theories.

Hey... I am both. And college degree... LoL... And... LoL

If you read my post carefully, you will discover what I do best @ and excel when doing my job.

One minute welding, operating heavy machinery, or mowing grass... Shoveling & plowing snow. The next whatever (hey, I am a wage grade, hourly worker, might be next minute or next day, week or month) I am playing free cell and taking a nap... Or posting, ON MY OFFICIAL BREAK OF COURSE! The next minute, I wake up (OFF BREAK OF COURSE), lock a boat, help said vessel, then put said vessel in computer and record the daily weather report (but only @ 06:00 for weather... Don't want too many weather reports!)

This week: jackhammering an old visitor's building and installing new water flow sensors (measures how many times we drain Lake Michigan through the lock). Once that is set up, gotta make a program that works with our instruments, software. Gone are the days of simple floats, and counter. :-(

Anybody catch what I am really good @. Besides shooting the schit on my phone. ?

The blue collar guys are working, not sitting at a desk (or in my case on a ferry/bus) posting on TBD.

Hey I resent that comment... But will get over it. I am flooding the lock with 4 million gallons, of what, I dont want to know! You don't want to know.

I smell what you are grilling... Breaks from here explain the action, safety considerations, etc...

Phone is ringing.... We all got smartphones... Like chewing gum and walking. Okay, chewing gum only for me.

Gotta go!

What was the debt level they incurred for these paths?

Canadians pay about $3,000 to $7,000 a year full time for tuition.

Even if it was $3-$7 you're still living in Canada.

On the whole a great place to live, unless you were born into a very rich family. Actually very rich is better in Canada as well.

My family are poster children for not using your degree...Brother 1 - Pilot - now Assistant Fire Chief for a fire dept. outside of ClevelandSister - meteorology - now computer programmer for a dairy co-opBrother 2 - photography - IT director for a large construction companyBrother 3 - electronics repair - now forklift operatorI'm closest to my degree - Computer Information Systems - now installing Point Of Sale systems at restaurants.

So have you figured out how to direct 10% of total sales to your bank over seas?