Do you use at work what you learned in school?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to college for Physical Education and Health. Graduated 7 years ago. The field is so saturated with teachers losing their jobs as well as being a pretty popular major that I've struggled finding permanent placement. I've had a few long-term placements ranging from 3 months, to a full year of subbing but nothing permanent or even with the ability to advance to full-time. I could probably move down south and get a job in a day, but I have a house, family, and friends here so it's not really an option for me. I've been coaching in the school district for 6 years which is GREAT part time pay and something I love to do. I also substitute part-time, as well as have a flexible office manager job at a small tool shop.

I guess you could say I'm not using my Phys. Ed. degree very much, except for substituting, but the coaching aspect has been a huge part of my life.

I have the option of taking over this tool shop full time, but I've been so focused on getting a teacher job that I've kind off put any training or learning on the back burner for this career which is now looking more and more like a possibility. I've thought about going back to school for finance, or business to better understand how to improve what we do but also don't want to totally give up on teaching. I've been at this crossroads for a couple years and still am on the fence. Those tool shop is somewhat of a dying industry, and we have been kind of hanging on by a thread, but ever since Trump got elected we've been increasing sales more than I can ever remember.

English Major in college. I read and write a lot on a daily basis. So yes, I suppose I use my education in my chosen career path.

The only drawback is I find very little use for Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in my line of work.

Are you currently under cover? Operation Rettata?

You do realize it's a felony punishable by 10 years of being forced to watch every down of every Bills game for ratting out a spy right? And no the 17 years already served does not count.

You do realize it's a felony punishable by 10 years of being forced to watch every down of every Bills game for ratting out a spy right? And no the 17 years already served does not count.

That punishment clearly violates the Geneva Convention (whatever that is...I'll wait for DC Tom to teach me if I used it correctly)

although i had a fantastic time in college, and learned a lot to make me seem more "worldly", i use absolutely none of it for work. on the other hand, grad school was so specific that i have no other talent than what i do for a living.

Yes. No. Fluid dynamics is the crux. Effluent dynamics, but dynamics none the less. ;-)

Oh... And like my grade 8 math teacher would drill: "It's NEGATIVE/Positive not minus/plus such and such number."

Like when taking pool elevations @ work:

Upper Pool (Lake Michigan) is +2.29', or POSITIVE 2.29'

Lower Pool is -2.00' or NEGATIVE 2.00'

Fluid dynamics you say? That understanding comes in handy when trying to figure out what the hell is going on w/the weather like when a strong low pressure comes through while producing a seiche. This in turn causing that Upper Pool (Lake) elevation to go from that POSITIVE 2' (+2.00) to NEGATIVE 5' (-5.00'). That means: "Bad! Do not open dam or lock gates causing the flow to go into Lake." That makes holiday beach goers mad, very mad!" ;-)

So yes, we use school... In between naps and FreeCell...

Besides that, My UB History/PolySci degree? No. That's for DCTom to laugh @ on The Internet and blame UB for.

But... My love of history has been moved to my new home in Exile and applied to understanding the histortical significance of the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs) across all missions like flood control, public sanitation, and interstate commerce... And for some of you obsessive one's, Asian carp.

Speak of the devil, just locking through a group of eDNA biologists (Fish & Wildlife) @ this very moment... Flooding the lock pit w/4 million gallons of water....As I roll my eyes & wave happily @ "the scientists " I would give a pic, but can't compress for this site.

Sorry... This turned into a work related semi-screed. Okay, it was a full screed.

:-)

although i had a fantastic time in college, and learned a lot to make me seem more "worldly", i use absolutely none of it for work. on the other hand, grad school was so specific that i have no other talent than what i do for a living.

Come on! I am History/PolySci and I find a way to tie in History. PolySci? I post on PPP.

Try...

There is the Corps Motto:

Essayons!

That's French for: "Let Us Try!"

Early Mesopotamian Women's History??

Yes. No. Fluid dynamics is the crux. Effluent dynamics, but dynamics none the less. ;-)

Oh... And like my grade 8 math teacher would drill: "It's NEGATIVE/Positive not minus/plus such and such number."

Like when taking pool elevations @ work:

Upper Pool (Lake Michigan) is +2.29', or POSITIVE 2.29'

Lower Pool is -2.00' or NEGATIVE 2.00'

Fluid dynamics you say? That understanding comes in handy when trying to figure out what the hell is going on w/the weather like when a strong low pressure comes through while producing a seiche. This in turn causing that Upper Pool (Lake) elevation to go from that POSITIVE 2' (+2.00) to NEGATIVE 5' (-5.00'). That means: "Bad! Do not open dam or lock gates causing the flow to go into Lake." That makes holiday beach goers mad, very mad!" ;-)

So yes, we use school... In between naps and FreeCell...

Besides that, My UB History/PolySci degree? No. That's for DCTom to laugh @ on The Internet and blame UB for.

But... My love of history has been moved to my new home in Exile and applied to understanding the histortical significance of the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs) across all missions like flood control, public sanitation, and interstate commerce... And for some of you obsessive one's, Asian carp.

Speak of the devil, just locking through a group of eDNA biologists (Fish & Wildlife) @ this very moment... Flooding the lock pit w/4 million gallons of water....As I roll my eyes & wave happily @ "the scientists " I would give a pic, but can't compress for this site.

Sorry... This turned into a work related semi-screed. Okay, it was a full screed.

Come on! I am History/PolySci and I find a way to tie in History. PolySci? I post on PPP.

Try...

There is the Corps Motto:

Essayons!

That's French for: "Let Us Try!"

i was a psych major, had to take another specific core, and then just took courses i thought were interesting. i don't know why anyone would major in psych unless they planned on going back to school.

Early Mesopotamian Women's History??

jug band manager.

Chicks dig that.

panties come flying off when the washboard comes out.

Cool! Did you work with Jerry, Bob and Pigpen?

did a little work with the guys before they passed, (i think bob is still alive).