Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would an experienced GM allow all the smiley face posts on the official team web site about Maclin's visit and how McCoy was doing all the recruiting and everything was rainbows and unicorns if a deal wasn't done?

Does that really sound like someone with experience to you? Not to me.

It sounds like a rookie who is about to make one of his best players look like a fool while letting down the fan base. And he made public his desire to get a new WR while not exactly treating our best receiver well. And there is nothing to show for any of it.

Does that sound like someone with experience to you? Be honest.

I'm not saying he won't improve. He probably will. We all need to learn hard lessons at some point and this looks like his first one.

First, I think what you're saying is correct, except that the way the Bills reported this is about how they always have done it. When press reports get to be pretty clear that something's going on, Chris Brown reports on the press reports. He doesn't report news like this with information from within. It's just outside news. And I believe they've also done interviews in the past with Bills players about they're interest in getting a guy. Not often, but occasionally. Still, seems to me that if I'm the GM I don't want my organization doing this.

Second, you make it sound like it's an important lesson to be learned. This isn't a "hard lesson." This is a truly minor event, at most an irritant. Six months from now, if the Bills are over .500, NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE will be talking about the fact that the Bills may have overhyped the possibility of getting Maclin. If the Bills are below .500, some people may be ascribing it to the failure to get Maclin, but NO ONE will be complaining because Beane allowed Brown to overhype the possibility. It's about wins and losses and more or less nothing else.

I said the same thing six months ago. Remember six months ago? The press was plastered with stuff saying the Bills were "dysfunctional," a dumpster fire" and all that. The Bills can't do anything right. The acting head coach got steam-rolled by the press at his first and maybe last Bills press conference. Then Whaley held a press conference and the press crucified him. Then the press went after Terry Pegula, because he doesn't handle the press well, either. Does ANYONE care about that now? ANYONE? Would you rather manage the press well than less well? Of course. Does failure to manage the press well cost the Bills money? Sure doesn't look like it. First, most of the revenue comes from the league, not anyone who reads the Bills home page. Second, the current level of management of public relations doesn't seem to have affected ticket sales.

Did Doug Whaley get fired because he wasn't great with the cameras on? The exact same Doug Whaley would still have his job if the Bills had gone 11-5 and he'd been horrible with the press. Hey, did you see the Pats fired Bill Belichick because he gives lousy press conferences?

Might Beane declare internally that the Bills won't report that way again? Sure. But if he has trouble sleeping tonight, do you think it will be because (a) Jeremy Maclin didn't sign or (b) Chris Brown may have led some people to believe that Maclin WOULD sign?

So IF the reports of him wanting $7M a year are true why wouldn't the Bills just do a 2 year $14M deal with $3M base year one and a $4M signing bonus? He'd be guaranteed the $7M and they wouldn't take a huge hit in year 2 if they cut him. You can tweak the numbers some if need be but that doesn't feel unreasonable.

I demand real poo!

But seriously, is this guy Macl(in) or Macl(out)?

Be careful what you demand!

Next up Decker.

different game but likely improves the team overall.

Work them both Buffalo

How much for one rib?

: )

Potato starch? My wife has gluten issues to so I'm always looking for ways to work around it, but I've never even heard of this. Google here I come!

I will ask my Holistic nutritional trainer and Yogi Shanti teacher. One of my daughters.

She will know.

any body think we still get Maclin?

I do not feel overly threatened by Baltimore in this matter. He should do his due diligence

Finally, someone that gets it! Fire Beane and cut Maclin!

Don't forget some exuberant tarring and then frolicky feathering !

its in the details Heitz

I will ask my Holistic nutritional trainer and Yogi Shanti teacher. One of my daughters.

She will know.

any body think we still get Maclin?

I do not feel overly threatened by Baltimore in this matter. He should do his due diligence

Frankly none of this makes any sense to me....unless his agent is trying to use a team with no cap space to sweeten his deal with the bills

UNLESS

They are waiting for a team to jump into the bidding that has a ton of cap space....which frankly I dont understand why that has not happened yet.

If this guy truly wanted to be here this deal would already be done (which is why biulding through the draft is so so important)

Whaley would have overpaid to get this deal done. BB has a lot to learn still

Wouldn't that mean Whaley has a lot to learn? Over-paying creates problems down the road. Stick to your plan and don't panic, pay what you think he's worth, let someone else over pay.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

That TE from Cleveland met with several teams and still has not signed yet. So its definitely possible that Maclin sees the market won't pay him what he wants and the Bills offer may be the best one he gets.

Frankly none of this makes any sense to me....unless his agent is trying to use a team with no cap space to sweeten his deal with the bills

UNLESS

They are waiting for a team to jump into the bidding that has a ton of cap space....which frankly I dont understand why that has not happened yet.

If this guy truly wanted to be here this deal would already be done (which is why biulding through the draft is so so important)

as i said i think he must do his diligent visits.

He could easily favor the Bills for couple reasons.

But there are a couple teams that have more money and in need of WR. Do they need a Maclin or a Decker though?

Don't give up on this deal yet John

So IF the reports of him wanting $7M a year are true why wouldn't the Bills just do a 2 year $14M deal with $3M base year one and a $4M signing bonus? He'd be guaranteed the $7M and they wouldn't take a huge hit in year 2 if they cut him. You can tweak the numbers some if need be but that doesn't feel unreasonable.

My man Kirby crunching the contracts :worthy:

Not good but he needs to compare and contrast situations. He'd be dumb not too. Still feel he will be in Buffalo unless someone like SF or Cleveland offers him a lot more money

Maclin visiting Baltimore has me less worried about him signing there and more worried about it giving other teams time to blow him away with offers.

Wouldn't that mean Whaley has a lot to learn? Over-paying creates problems down the road. Stick to your plan and don't panic, pay what you think he's worth, let someone else over pay.

thought it was sarcasm deranged??

I'm thinking some trout for dinner. Not sure on method though. Mrs. says outside!

best pan fried in butter.

a dredge is cool though.

Happy crispy skinned trout MMMmmm

Baltimore's lack of current cap space really is irrelevant if they give him more than a 1 year deal

....they have 11 WR's in camp and 7 TE's ( a rookie and four guys with 3 years or less experience), one of which is Watson coming off an ACL....with Pitta gone, vet like Barnidge may be their bigger need.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy