Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't that mean Whaley has a lot to learn? Over-paying creates problems down the road. Stick to your plan and don't panic, pay what you think he's worth, let someone else over pay.

Tough crowd

I was joking :)

So IF the reports of him wanting $7M a year are true why wouldn't the Bills just do a 2 year $14M deal with $3M base year one and a $4M signing bonus? He'd be guaranteed the $7M and they wouldn't take a huge hit in year 2 if they cut him. You can tweak the numbers some if need be but that doesn't feel unreasonable.

This makes a ton of sense. It also makes a ton of sense that he shops around too. Football is an awful business so you should find the best balance of money and winning.

So IF the reports of him wanting $7M a year are true why wouldn't the Bills just do a 2 year $14M deal with $3M base year one and a $4M signing bonus? He'd be guaranteed the $7M and they wouldn't take a huge hit in year 2 if they cut him. You can tweak the numbers some if need be but that doesn't feel unreasonable.

That was a Whaley trick, that looks good short term and burns you long term.

That's what they did with Percy Harvin. Smart cap teams try and avoid the prorated dead money signing bonus hits when the player is no longer on the team. Occasionally, you use it....if it allows you to add a piece or 2 to make a run at a championship, but most the time it's not a smart play.

I like they stuck to their guns here, if that's what transpired.

At this point there aren't many, if any teams that are ponying up $7M in cash for a #2 WR. Remember this is long after FA and the draft, most teams are pretty much set and their money is spent. I think $4M, or a chance to get to $5M w/ some incentives hit is about the best Maclin can do at this stage of the game, and I bet the Bills offer is pretty damn close to that amount.

Now, I wonder if the Bills are going to let him shop that # to other teams. I know Bill B. is infamous for not letting the offer stand if the player goes to shop the # to other teams. It's probably the wise choice.

Lastly, why do any players allow their agents to negotiate contracts that don't include roster bonuses due a few days before the start of FA. If you're Maclin you'd be much better off being cut just before FA starts when all teams are flush with cash and looking to spend. Now in the beginning of June the money is dried up. A roster bonus due in March would at least force teams, in this case the Chiefs, to cut the player early, or guarantee the player another chunk of change that would otherwise not be earned if the team does cut him later in the offseason.

Edited by Estro

I'm guessing the bills are writing in a lot of performance based incentives instead of a flat out signing bonus.

....they have 11 WR's in camp and 7 TE's ( a rookie and four guys with 3 years or less experience), one of which is Watson coming off an ACL....with Pitta gone, vet like Barnidge may be their bigger need.....

Ravens also have maclin in the building

They could soon be signing players daily

Edited by FluffHead

That was a Whaley trick, that looks good short term and burns you long term.

That's what they did with Percy Harvin. Smart cap teams try and avoid the prorated dead money signing bonus hits when the player is no longer on the team. Occasionally, you use it....if it allows you to add a piece or 2 to make a run at a championship, but most the time it's not a smart play.

I like they stuck to their guns here, if that's what transpired.

At this point there aren't many, if any teams that are ponying up $7M in cash for a #2 WR. Remember this is long after FA and the draft, most teams are pretty much set and their money is spent. I think $4M, or a chance to get to $5M w/ some incentives hit is about the best Maclin can do at this stage of the game, and I bet the Bills offer is pretty damn close to that amount.

Now, I wonder if the Bills are going to let him shop that # to other teams. I know Bill B. is infamous for not letting the offer stand if the player goes to shop the # to other teams. It's probably the wise choice.

Lastly, why do any players allow their agents to negotiate contracts that don't include roster bonuses due a few days before the start of FA. If you're Maclin you'd be much better off being cut just before FA starts when all teams are flush with cash and looking to spend. Now in the beginning of June the money is dried up. A roster bonus due in March would at least force teams, in this case the Chiefs, to cut the player early, or guarantee the player another chunk of change that would otherwise not be earned if the team does cut him later in the offseason.

A fine contrast Estro. Good stuff to chew upon.

Not sure if the BB method is the best but it has it reasonings

Nice job Shady. Another disappointment from this organization.

Never liked him and he is surely going to drop off the 30 year old any minute

165 followers but fwiw

@bud_rocks

Maclin contract fell apart on guaranteed $ the #Bills were firm on a partial deal with incentives of games played & performance bonuses!

i can deal with this