How do you keep your cats from peeing all over everything

So as many know I lost one of my 3 cats this past week....still have 2 that I got from shelter's or homeless.

My daughter...her 2 kids...and myself are going in a a house rental together (going through a nasty divorce....having to vacate my house and sell it.

Well....problem is my cats are peeing all over everything. One old female one male......really sensative to all the drama going on in my house lately and absolutely freaked that one of my cats died as they were like family.

I dont want to get rid of my cats....but I gotta find a way to keep them from doing this.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's tough. My old cat that just passed was kind of senile and pissed in my hockey bag and I didn't know it. I got out of that locker room as fast as I could when everyone started looking around :bag:

Ha,ha,ha. Thats a killer. I guess he or she left you a going away present. Made my morning.

I don't know if there's really much you can do to stop them. It has to do with the trauma of relocation, which you're probably familiar with. In case you're not, cats are extremely territorial and given to complete freak outs when they're taken out of their environments and put into a new one (I have cat stories from my experiences moving - many of them, in fact). If you moved them into a home where the most recent tenant had cats, then yours are not only freaked out over the new environment, but they're also trying to mask the old cats' smell (which may be too faint for you to smell).

The last time I moved cats, I made sure to bring a number of their toys, a scratching post that still had some of their hair on it, and put fresh litter in their box without otherwise cleaning it. I placed all of these in one room, before moving any furniture into the apartment, brought them into the room in their carriers, and just opened the carrier doors and allowed them to come out on their own. When they finally did, they went straight to the familiar objects and seemed almost calm. It just took a little time to break them in to the rest of the place.

Good luck - sorry to hear about your domestic troubles.

That's tough. My old cat that just passed was kind of senile and pissed in my hockey bag and I didn't know it. I got out of that locker room as fast as I could when everyone started looking around :bag:

I play with a couple guys who never air their gear out. That would be an improvement.

it didn't improve it?

even the cat will rebel if it's own mess is too much.

Well, this cat was starting to have trouble figuring out which mess was his. He was 19 and stopped eating shortly after that. Sad, had to put him down. Such a good kitty. The new one is just awesome though

Well, this cat was starting to have trouble figuring out which mess was his. He was 19 and stopped eating shortly after that. Sad, had to put him down. Such a good kitty. The new one is just awesome though

salute to getting a feline to that age!! and good that you went out and got another one.

i was at a bookstore last year and thought they had a statue of a cat near the door, then I looked closer and it was alive. 23 years old and the owner didn't fear it would run out into the street any more.

salute to getting a feline to that age!! and good that you went out and got another one.

i was at a bookstore last year and thought they had a statue of a cat near the door, then I looked closer and it was alive. 23 years old and the owner didn't fear it would run out into the street any more.

Lol! Ya, problem with my cat was he wanted to go outside, but he couldn't hear anymore and wanted to go to sleep in the middle of the road!

Lol! Ya, problem with my cat was he wanted to go outside, but he couldn't hear anymore and wanted to go to sleep in the middle of the road!

I'm prevented that with a 15th floor condo, but the latest one acts strange on the balcony, can't trust her out there alone.

My prior cat from age 13-18 was fine to sit in the sun on the balcony all day long without me around, a few times pigeons landed on the railing and she yelled at them to no avail as the pigeon ignored her.

A friend moved into a new home and his cat fell from the first floor landing to the cement basement, shattering it's jaw and teeth.

So he is $6,000 in the hole for basic resetting, a feline oral surgeon (try finding one), and the x-rays and knock-out drops and drugs and overnighting and cement to keep the mouth shut.

Good thing he is in the mood to toss that onto his newly established mortgage... :D