How do you keep your cats from peeing all over everything

I read this in the Reader's Digest some time ago and it seemed to work:

Get some ceramic bowls (not plastic, not paper). Mix one cup gingerale, a TB of baking soda and four TB's of deli mustard. Put that mixture in each bowl. Then, place each bowl with the mixture in it in each corner of the house or apartment in question.

Here's the key: Every three hours, place two tablespoons of bubble bath in the bowl and stir for 60 seconds. I heard "Mr. Bubble" is best.

I guess the idea is the scent of the bubble bath mixed with gingerale and baking soda makes the cats hold their bladder longer than usual until they find the litter box.

Tell me how it goes.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locate Jackson from "My Cat From Hell" and tell him about your situation.

We have two cats, when we first moved to our new home we only had one. She started pissing randomly. That same day we took in the 2nd cat from a lady from work. We then put another litter box downstairs. (One on each floor)

The cats can't wait to piss in the boxes and cover each others scent. No problems since the arrival of MEATBALL.

Solution: get a cat named Meatball and make sure you have two litter boxes, or one for each cat.

Edited by Commonsense

I'm prevented that with a 15th floor condo, but the latest one acts strange on the balcony, can't trust her out there alone.

My prior cat from age 13-18 was fine to sit in the sun on the balcony all day long without me around, a few times pigeons landed on the railing and she yelled at them to no avail as the pigeon ignored her.

A friend moved into a new home and his cat fell from the first floor landing to the cement basement, shattering it's jaw and teeth.

So he is $6,000 in the hole for basic resetting, a feline oral surgeon (try finding one), and the x-rays and knock-out drops and drugs and overnighting and cement to keep the mouth shut.

Good thing he is in the mood to toss that onto his newly established mortgage... :D

Wow!! I might rationalize that there are other cats out there that need homes. That's a lot for the kitty

Wow!! I might rationalize that there are other cats out there that need homes. That's a lot for the kitty

He wants the best for the cat, I'd have had to think long and hard...

I've learned one needs the vet to ask "are you comfortable with the quality of life your cat is experiencing" before you can put it down next time.

If you soak tennis balls in ammonia, then place the tennis balls near the frequent pee spots, the cats will play with the ball and the scent of ammonia will make them think that a foreign cat has already peed there. Since the balls will roll, it's like a moving deterrent.

This is a proven method and you'll thank me later.

Not enough information to tell. Could be territoriality - they're in a new place, and claiming it as their own. Could be social stress. Could be kidney disease (probably not, if both are doing it, but not out of the question.) Could be they're trying to cover the scent of a previous animal. Could be the litter box is inconveniently placed. Could be not enough litter boxes. "Peeing all over the place" is a very non-specific description of their behavior. The question you have to ask, though, isn't "Why are they peeing all over the place?" but "What are they trying to tell me?"

Social stress is actually the easiest to solve: go to the vet, get some kitty prozac.

If you soak tennis balls in ammonia, then place the tennis balls near the frequent pee spots, the cats will play with the ball and the scent of ammonia will make them think that a foreign cat has already peed there. Since the balls will roll, it's like a moving deterrent.

And to dispose of them later, you jam them down the toilet?

Social stress is actually the easiest to solve: go to the vet, get some kitty prozac.

And to dispose of them later, you jam them down the toilet?

Is that before or after you began experimenting with the kitty prozac? B-)

Now dogs are peeing on girls!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/urinating-sketchy-dog-statue-appears-next-fearless-girl-n766071

Just a little more information to help with response

We have not moved into the new house yet....they are pissing on everything in the OLD house and we move in about 10 days. right now me my daughter and my two grand kids are staying in a office biulding and the cats are back at the old house. Someone stops in once a day to feed them.

Edited by John from Hemet

We have not moved into the new house yet....they are pissing on everything in the OLD house and we move in about 10 days. right now me my daughter and my two grand kids are staying in a office biulding and the cats are back at the old house. Someone stops in once a day to feed them.

Sounds like a protest piss! Being left alone

Looks like a lost cause here.

I had friends whose cats used to pee in their plants. He'd drop kick them out the back door, she not too happy he did that and the following day the cats would do it again.

1) Get rid of them

2) Keep them as "outdoor" cats. (not allowed on the house for more than 15 minutes at a time)

3 ) Deal with the mess

I heard about this.

That sounds like anger pee - like they don't like being left alone so much.

I read this in the Reader's Digest some time ago and it seemed to work:

Get some ceramic bowls (not plastic, not paper). Mix one cup gingerale, a TB of baking soda and four TB's of deli mustard. Put that mixture in each bowl. Then, place each bowl with the mixture in it in each corner of the house or apartment in question.

Here's the key: Every three hours, place two tablespoons of bubble bath in the bowl and stir for 60 seconds. I heard "Mr. Bubble" is best.

I guess the idea is the scent of the bubble bath mixed with gingerale and baking soda makes the cats hold their bladder longer than usual until they find the litter box.

Tell me how it goes.

You left out the part about singing "I Feel Pretty" in falsetto while he mixes in the Bubble bath. It'll never work if he doesn't do that.

You left out the part about singing "I Feel Pretty" in falsetto while he mixes in the Bubble bath. It'll never work if he doesn't do that.

You're close. The article I read said you should leave the tv set turned on (preferably Turner Classic Movies) as the noise in the background is comforting. So yes, anything on the tv that includes "show tunes" is acceptable.

Cat piss is the worst. Never comes out. Best case, you replace the carpet. Worst case you replace the subfloor. My wife loves cats and we've always had one. Fortunately they have always used the box. If and when he doesn't the cat is gone one way or another.

Pee on everything before they can

This may be the most reasonable and humane course of action.

You should have your daughter rub your nose in the piss, then hit you with a newspaper. Just make sure the cats are watching.