Joe B: What Brandon Beane wants in a QB

What does Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane want at QB? "You have to be able to throw from the pocket"

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-does-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-want-at-qb-you-have-to-be-able-to-throw-from-the-pocket

WKBW) - In the most recent episode of the Bills Beat Podcast, I had an opportunity to sit down with Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane, and really tried to get inside the mind that owners Terry and Kim Pegula decided on to help run their franchise.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane want at QB? "You have to be able to throw from the pocket"

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-does-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-want-at-qb-you-have-to-be-able-to-throw-from-the-pocket

I think Tyrod needs to be able to throw from the pocket. ...........Scratch that he'd better! :rolleyes:

In order to throw from the pocket and have success doing so, there has to be one to throw from. The Bills in the last several seasons have not done all that well protecting their QBs. They seem to have gotten run blocking mastered, but pass plays remain adventurous undertakings for our QBs because of the OL's inconsistency.

In order to throw from the pocket and have success doing so, there has to be one to throw from. The Bills in the last several seasons have not done all that well protecting their QBs. They seem to have gotten run blocking mastered, but pass plays remain adventurous undertakings for our QBs because of the OL's inconsistency.

When the QB throws the ball on time it makes the pass protectors' jobs easier.

different blocking scheme this year, so we will see. I also think that our QB holds the ball longer than most which makes pass blocking that much more challenging Edited by YoloinOhio

We have had damn good pockets. TT lead the league I believe in holding the ball the longest? At one point he had the most time to throw as well. The excuses for TT need to stop. Time to step up and be a Quarterback, not a running back who can throw or he is gone.

When the QB throws the ball on time it makes the pass protectors' jobs easier.

There is a lot of truth to this. Gil Brandt after the draft addressed this. It is not the teams job to fill around to make a QB better, its the QB's job to elevate those around him.

We have had damn good pockets. TT lead the league I believe in holding the ball the longest? At one point he had the most time to throw as well. The excuses for TT need to stop. Time to step up and be a Quarterback, not a running back who can throw or he is gone.

We haven't had good pockets AND he holds the ball too long. It is both. That is going to have to change.

I'm also concerned about the run blocking. The Bills were elite and I don't suspect that to be the case in this scheme. The talent is there but the coaching and scheme aren't. They will still be very good but I don't think elite.

There is a lot of truth to this. Gil Brandt after the draft addressed this. It is not the teams job to fill around to make a QB better, its the QB's job to elevate those around him.

Not an excuse, but that average time includes the times he broke the pocket and bought time on his own improvising. It's part of the reason that Russ Wilson and Aaron Rodgers are also in the top 5 for longest time to throw. Brady will throw it away, Rodgers will try to buy time for his receivers. Just a difference in playstyle.

I mean, duh. Tyrod is our bridge qb.

Was it my imagination or Did I infer some hidden shade tossed cam's way?

Yeah, definitely you should throw shade at a qb who set rookie passing records, won a MVP, & went to a SB. Newton clearly can't play the position.

Well stated. Tyrod has great character so that makes it easy to cheer for him. But if he doesn't pull it together this year, we have to be ready to move on.

We haven't had good pockets AND he holds the ball too long. It is both. That is going to have to change.

I'm also concerned about the run blocking. The Bills were elite and I don't suspect that to be the case in this scheme. The talent is there but the coaching and scheme aren't. They will still be very good but I don't think elite.

I agree Kirby and here is why. Imo last year at practices if someone was keep track of the number of rushes versus the number of passing plays being practiced, I think you would easily see why we ran the ball extremely well, tosses it less than we ran it, and why our run game was effective.

This year with our new OC's balanced approach we are likely to see a decline in our run game in favor of our passing game. (I.e balancing it out)

I agree Kirby and here is why. Imo last year at practices if someone was keep track of the number of rushes versus the number of passing plays being practiced, I think you would easily see why we ran the ball extremely well, tosses it less than we ran it, and why our run game was effective.

This year with our new OC's balanced approach we are likely to see a decline in our run game in favor of our passing game. (I.e balancing it out)

Thats kind of my feeling. We will see more balance but that aggressive run blocking will be sacrificed for a zone blocking scheme. It will probably be okay but they won't blow open the holes like they did. I'm good with it if it helps in the passing game.

This might sound weird but I expect more balance from the offense. I don't necessarily expect them to be better. The passing game will be better and the running game worse. My feeling is that the overall points will be down. At the same time, I expect improvements from the defense. Things will need to come together to take the next step but this team should be as balanced across the board as they have been in a while. For years we have done things great and poorly. I expect the gaps between what the Bills do well and what they struggle with to close. I hope that results in more wins.