Joe B: What Brandon Beane wants in a QB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats kind of my feeling. We will see more balance but that aggressive run blocking will be sacrificed for a zone blocking scheme. It will probably be okay but they won't blow open the holes like they did. I'm good with it if it helps in the passing game.

This might sound weird but I expect more balance from the offense. I don't necessarily expect them to be better. The passing game will be better and the running game worse. My feeling is that the overall points will be down. At the same time, I expect improvements from the defense. Things will need to come together to take the next step but this team should be as balanced across the board as they have been in a while. For years we have done things great and poorly. I expect the gaps between what the Bills do well and what they struggle with to close. I hope that results in more wins.

I've seen people refer to a balanced attack. Note that the Bills ran running plays 51% of the time last year.

Did you watch the games? It's not about statistics! It's about effective plays. Good pass protection means that a QB consistently has time to throw the ball when the defense knows he's going to throw ...just like good run blocking doesn't mean occasionally breaking a 20 yarder but that the OL enables the RBs, even journeymen, to make first downs on thirds and short.

The pocket was seldom there long enough for Taylor to throw first downs on thirds and long, and often it wasn't there for him to throw downfield at all because receivers need time to get open.

Apparently, some people's standards are much lower than others. Brady consistently has "excellent" pass protection. You don't see him getting knocked on his butt every other play ... and when he does, the Pats struggle. Taylor has never had Brady's level of protection, especially last season. The Bills' pass protection resembled Pitt's the year that Roethlisberger got all beat to hell trying to stay in the pocket ... and the next season, the Stillers seriously shored up that OL so that their QB would survive. Taylor runs because he can ... Roethlisberger's too slow so he couldn't escape and got beaten up for his trouble ...

The Bills need to improve their pass protection. Claiming it was "excellent" or "was there most times" is not only being in denial but it's scapegoating Taylor, the favorite past time of some Bills fans. Taylor is a decent enough QB if given some protection and some targets. Coming out of Baltimore, do you really think he doesn't know how to throw from the pocket? The last time I looked, nobody would confuse Joe Flacco with Cam Newton.

Stop, Taylor had the most time in the league to throw the ball. The line was fine.

And it was the best start of his career and one of the few times he looked like a franchise qb (Miami was 29th in defense, Buffalo was 19th). But how many of those starts has he had? Miami and Seattle are 2 main examples I can think of that it didn't look like we weren't like a college option team.

If those Miami and Seattle games happend more frequently, Tyrod would be the future. But there are far too many games where we struggle to get to 150 or 200 yards passing.

Miami was a joke on defense last season

Did they though? His 29th and most recent start was by far the best of his career. He was 26 of 39 for 329 and 3 TDs. How do you explain that if he has been figured out? It actually supports the exact opposite of your claim.

You have one example in two years.

Stop, Taylor had the most time in the league to throw the ball. The line was fine.

There are three possibilities :

( 1 ) The O-line fails at pass protection

( 2 ) Taylor extends plays for cause

( 3 ) Taylor holds on to the ball too long

Guess what? All three are true. There were times when the defense was on TT as soon as he set his feet. Per my unscientific memory there were whole stretches of games where the pass protection was abysmal, highlighted by the Bill's notorious problem at right tackle. And sometimes Taylor extended plays making something out of nothing - or at least minimizing damage. Please remember that he may have one of the worst sack rates in the league, but actual sack yardage lost was in the middle of his peers. Lastly: Without question Taylor sometimes bolts from the pocket early or doesn't get the ball out decisively. Watch any game - and keep an open mind - and you see examples of all three. Some games (again, by my recollection) the O-line would swing from very poor to pretty good in pass protection, quarter by quarter. There is plenty of blame to spread around.

Edited by grb