Mr Sunshine Sully Sullivan at it again

Help me understand this obsession with beating up on Sully.

The Bills in particular have been pathetic as an organization for almost two decades. For those of us who remember the Bills of, say, 1988 through 1996, we know what a well-run organization looks like - from front office to coaching to players. Over the last 17 years we have witnessed bumbling and stumbling of epoch proportions including a coach quitting and getting a $4 million golden parachute, firing an offensive coordinator the week of the season opener, half the team acquired via free agency, horrific drafts and draft decisions, and poor to mediocre won-loss records as reliable as the sun coming up.

Sullivan expresses skepticism at nearly every decision the organization makes because the Bills have EARNED it. (And so have the Sabres for a shorter period of time.) In this article, he has basically said the recent hires look GOOD ON PAPER - but they have collectively proven nothing. That's wrong?

For those of you wanting to put lipstick on this pig, it's been 17 YEARS! The most relevant example of the word "inept" that I can think of. Criticize Sullivan when they are winning and he is still critical. He hasn't had the opportunity to do that in almost 20 years.

Well said.

nah. not really. read what this guy wrote.

Sullivan's schtick is to be a contrarian: You say it's sunny, he says we need the rain. As another poster said, he picked on the new hires because they're inexperienced. If the Bills (and Sabres) had picked a retread, he would have said the team needs new blood. As a former journalist, I know his shite works, because it stirs up controversy and people complain about everything he writes. It's a time-tested tradition.
Granted, he's had a fertile field to harvest for so many years, given all the missteps and bad hires and stupid drafts/trades, but I also realize that it's a very lazy way to do his job. He doesn't care because he collects a (probably more-than-decent) salary. The News doesn't care because he generates clicks. But the sad truth is he isn't going away anytime soon, because if he was so good, he would have been hired by a big market publication. So we are stuck with him.
I'll end here because I need another glass of wine.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me understand this obsession with beating up on Sully.

The Bills in particular have been pathetic as an organization for almost two decades. For those of us who remember the Bills of, say, 1988 through 1996, we know what a well-run organization looks like - from front office to coaching to players. Over the last 17 years we have witnessed bumbling and stumbling of epoch proportions including a coach quitting and getting a $4 million golden parachute, firing an offensive coordinator the week of the season opener, half the team acquired via free agency, horrific drafts and draft decisions, and poor to mediocre won-loss records as reliable as the sun coming up.

Sullivan expresses skepticism at nearly every decision the organization makes because the Bills have EARNED it. (And so have the Sabres for a shorter period of time.) In this article, he has basically said the recent hires look GOOD ON PAPER - but they have collectively proven nothing. That's wrong?

For those of you wanting to put lipstick on this pig, it's been 17 YEARS! The most relevant example of the word "inept" that I can think of. Criticize Sullivan when they are winning and he is still critical. He hasn't had the opportunity to do that in almost 20 years.

And you are exactly who Sully writes for.

The fact Sullivan is critical of every move the Bills make shows he doesn't know enough to say if a move is good or bad. Do you really need someone to endlessly replay the last 17 years, or do you want someone to tell if what the Bills just did is a good move?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The fact Sullivan is critical of every move the Bills make shows he doesn't know enough to say if a move is good or bad. Do you really need someone to endlessly replay the last 17 years, or do you want someone to tell if what the Bills just did is a good move?

Actually, I'd like fans to recognize 17 years of futility and the net of any good move they have made (and they have made good moves) have been outweighed big timr by the travesties, and that the cycle has repeated itself far more than our fans deserve. We can't even make fun of the Browns with a straight face! Believe me, I am yearning big time for positive and SUSTAINED good news. That's only going to come from winning, the only measuring stick that counts. The goofy commentary about Sullivan writing to generate clicks or controversy has merit, sure. I think he is not alone there. But you also cannot deny the fact that he has been RIGHT more than he has been wrong. His skepticism, as tiresome as it can be, has been more than rewarded by our bumbling franchise.

Again, my die-hard Bills fans and friends (as am I), after 17 YEARS of mediocrity and ineptitude, is it possible to simply act as if last year was the first losing season since the last Super Bowl? A blip on the radar? Nope. Just win, baby, and you'll see people criticizing Sullivan for being a shill for the team.

The new hires look really good, but we will not know until they actually place a winning product on the field.

Edited by JM2009

Actually, I'd like fans to recognize 17 years of futility and the net of any good move they have made (and they have made good moves) have been outweighed big timr by the travesties, and that the cycle has repeated itself far more than our fans deserve. We can't even make fun of the Browns with a straight face! Believe me, I am yearning big time for positive and SUSTAINED good news. That's only going to come from winning, the only measuring stick that counts. The goofy commentary about Sullivan writing to generate clicks or controversy has merit, sure. I think he is not alone there. But you also cannot deny the fact that he has been RIGHT more than he has been wrong. His skepticism, as tiresome as it can be, has been more than rewarded by our bumbling franchise.

Again, my die-hard Bills fans and friends (as am I), after 17 YEARS of mediocrity and ineptitude, is it possible to simply act as if last year was the first losing season since the last Super Bowl? A blip on the radar? Nope. Just win, baby, and you'll see people criticizing Sullivan for being a shill for the team.

I'm aware of the drought. I don't need to be reminded of it daily. I would like to know how things look going forward.

The new hires look really good, but we will not know until they actually place a winning product on the field.

True. But knowing these moves are being received well nationally is a good sign.

The biggest difference is a front office and coaching staff like this has never been assembled by the Bills before. If it fails, it won't be because we did it the same old way.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm aware of the drought. I don't need to be reminded of it daily. I would like to know how things look going forward.

But.....then it's harder to be whiney and complain! New owners, new staff. It all looks very encouraging. Who in their right mind is focused on 17 years ago? Lordy, some of these people must be miserable to be around!

Maybe a poll would be in order to separate those who think this is 17 years old, or those who think we have new owners and a new staff and it's a new start (you know, the reasonable people). As my wife would say...."well, aren't you just a damn ray of sunshine?"

Edited by Augie

That's Sullivan's point.

Bills fans celebrate anything the franchise sells to them and this has been the case over the past 17 years of the drought.

Wait and see if it works before celebrating....

So you're saying the right thing to do is look backwards, assume the worst, and have no hope? That works for some people. Like I said before, that's a snarky way of describing being a fan.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Cautious skepticism is the rational approach. I'd wager 99% of the posters here had no idea who Brandon Beane, Joe Schoen, and Brian Gaine were one month ago. We're only going by what we've learned from reports in the media which have mostly been positive. Ironically, these same members of the media are often attacked and ridiculed as incompetent and clueless when they have something negative to say, so.... we'll see.

Please don't link to his articles. I make it a point specifically to never click on his stuff. If you don't like his stuff, don't support him being employed by TBN by not adding to his click count

He's going to be employed by the News no matter what - because of the union.

Cautious skepticism is the rational approach. I'd wager 99% of the posters here had no idea who Brandon Beane, Joe Schoen, and Brian Gaine were one month ago. We're only going by what we've learned from reports in the media which have mostly been positive. Ironically, these same members of the media are often attacked and ridiculed as incompetent and clueless when they have something negative to say, so.... we'll see.

This is the essence of it. When I mention the 17 year drought, no, I am not doom and gloom. The Bills sell hope like no organization on the face of the earth. And every year, I HOPE that they have positioned themselves to finally get over the hump. So I am hopeful, yes.

This post speaks to Jerry Sullivan's doom and gloom and negativity. Again, if you boil down what he is typically saying over the past ten or 15 years, it's, "Let's not get all giddy at these moves, folks. We can look at these moves with a critical eye given the nearly two decades of futility and not simply drink the Kool-Aid. Let's see some tangible, positive results first." I simply cannot see the flaw in this and those of us who generally concur are not doom and gloom or fair weather fans.

Cautious skepticism. Hopeful skepticism. That's where I am at. When they win again, I will be an out of control giddy child!

"You've reached your limit!"

LOL...

Who pays to read news articles online these days?

Free media is everywhere. Good luck with that business model. Newspapers are like a post-asteroid strike T Rex hungrily lurching around a barren field looking for a mouse to eat.

Edited by TheFunPolice

You can't be mad at the weatherman because he says it's raining. I would love to the what Sully has to say when the Bills actually win some games and make some noise in the playoffs. Until then the forecast is for rain.

This is the essence of it. When I mention the 17 year drought, no, I am not doom and gloom. The Bills sell hope like no organization on the face of the earth. And every year, I HOPE that they have positioned themselves to finally get over the hump. So I am hopeful, yes.

This post speaks to Jerry Sullivan's doom and gloom and negativity. Again, if you boil down what he is typically saying over the past ten or 15 years, it's, "Let's not get all giddy at these moves, folks. We can look at these moves with a critical eye given the nearly two decades of futility and not simply drink the Kool-Aid. Let's see some tangible, positive results first." I simply cannot see the flaw in this and those of us who generally concur are not doom and gloom or fair weather fans.

Cautious skepticism. Hopeful skepticism. That's where I am at. When they win again, I will be an out of control giddy child!

You keep bringing up the 17 year drought with Sully - but he's been pulling this same negative crap for years - even the Superbowl years. Always looking for the downer side of things. I believe there were a few 1990's Bills that said they wanted to beat the crap out of the guy.