That GM search was embarassing

Yep. McDermott is GM I don't care what the title says. Sabres GM took longer...cause that GM will actually be making the calls. Beane is a glorified scout

This is exactly the way I feel. McDermott will run the whole show. Coaching and player personnel. Brandon will scout and report to Sean. As long as they win I could care less who's the GM. Just no more EJ's and Maybins....

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does it really matter when none of them even came back for a 2nd interview and were basically just interviewed for the hell of it

Fact: "none of them even came back for a 2nd interview"

Completely unsupported opinion: "were basically interviewed for the hell of it"

I work for a large engineering company and it works like this 75% of the time. If a new Plant Manager or GM is hired at a plant...they bring people with them they know and trust. They are comfortable working with them....

So when you go to a new company/division you generally hire the person who is supposed to manage you?

As for Pegula moving into Snyder territory: we should be so lucky! Snyder bought the team in 1999 and they've gone to the playoffs in:

- 1999 (ring a bell, anyone?)

All the while, Snyder appeared to be literally trying to do everything wrong. Big bucks old celebrity coaches (twice!). Trading away the future for a QB, and having it work for all of one season (RG3, playoffs); drafting a second QB in the same draft and having it work again (Cousins). You name it, he did it wrong. And still they've been better than us, and project to be better than us this year. Again.

If you give a crap about making the playoffs and being fodder for the good teams, yeah, Snyder's had more success than the Bills during that time period.

But Snyder has never once put together a team that actually looked like they were seriously Lombardi-competitive.

To me, there are the teams that have a real chance and the rest. And the Bills and Redskins have been in "the rest" equally long. Both bad. Snyder finally looks like he has a real GM who has put together a roster that appears like it might be competitive in a fairly short time ... and he fires the guy.

I'm not a fan of the Pegulas reign over the Bills and Sabres so far, but I'd take them over Snyder.

So when you go to a new company/division you generally hire the person who is supposed to manage you?

That's not what happened here.

On some teams the GM is above the coach. On other teams it's the other way around.

This is clearly a team where the coach is going to be farther up the hierarchy from the GM. Nothing wrong (or right) with that. All depends on whether success follows.

This search is better than Ralph hiring Buddy Nix.

The main problem with the Nix regime was that he brought in Whaley.

I don't think the search was embarrasing but rather not all encompassing, there is a difference - IMO the structure Terry/Kim have imposed basically ruled out just about every potential experienced NFL GM, the majority of whom wouldn't put up with it - Cleary we were only likely to hire a first time GM, who was willing to work alongside other team executives in building a team, than being the president and or all powerful general manager

So I like the hiring, given the situation, and I very much hope it works out for our team, that Terry/Kim's structure works, and that HC Sean works out

These moves could be a critical turning point in this franchise's history or just our owners going 0-4 with hires, or yet another middling result

So I share the OP's concern that this structure will actually lead to more successful seasons, and or that HC Sean has the experience to be as powerful as he is in shaping the future of our team, or that we currently have the on field talent to be competative - Lets be honest, most media pundits, and sports experts, and Las Vegas, etc only having us winning 6 games this year - How many of you who today who claim with impunity we're moving in the right direction, with all the recent changes, and this years off season moves, will feel the same way about the program if we only in fact win 6 games? I can't wait to see the defense of our new mgmt and ownership if this actually occurs, lol

Which is why I feel sorry for the OP (except if he/she has made racist posts b4), its not easy to be honest on any sports message board about being skeptical about changes your owner makes, there's always a majority gang of fans who support every owners move blindly, as was the case on the old BBMB when Rex was hired, if you suggested during the 2015 off season that our D might slip under Rex than was previous under Schwartz, or Terry/Kim had made a hiring mistake, you were literally beheaded game of throne style, but in actuality, you were proven in the end to be an astute fan, and the majority, as they often are, proven to stubbornly dead wrong

Which is why I'm sitting on the fence on all theses changes, while I'm ecstatic Rex and WD were released, I'm not necessarily automatically buying in on either our new HC or GM, until they yield results, sure I like their youth and pedigree of potential, and I'm all for a new direction, however I also see their humungous lack of NFL experience, and while I like our draft choices, and I was not all that impressed with our other off season moves, and the loss of comp picks, I see alot of player and mgmt changes but I still don;t see anything pointing to a 10 win season, so if we are not going to better off in 2018 than we were with DW and Rex, but are expecting to be worse, I am not sure why most folks see this as any form of progress, it looks like a transitional year, or a regressive year, how folks will spin that to our Bills being better off is mind boggling, but they will, and most eat it up

Mind you, should we actually go out and compete this year, then the experts assessment of this team will have been proved wrong, and lots more of us will eagerly buy in and more fully support all the recent changes, I hope this is the case, but until it occurs, we win more games than we lose, I have complete respect for those who question our owners, the teams direction, and have reasonable well thought out skepticism

Rant over

jc

looks like they got to the right answer. a GM who isn't going to try and run the show, but it a solid personnel and admin guy who has a close relationship with McD. and both have 5 year deals, so they are getting paid plenty, so no rivalry ... this should work out fine

Yeezus is back!

And in mid season form!

You just know he had this all typed up and ready to hit publish regardless of who was hired

Well done Yeezer!

i was wondering if he would be back. Looks like everyone can look forward to another year of great yeezus posts

This is exactly the way I feel. McDermott will run the whole show. Coaching and player personnel. Brandon will scout and report to Sean. As long as they win I could care less who's the GM. Just no more EJ's and Maybins....

My God, an intelligent post!

It was a facade. They hired the guy they had already decided they wanted - and probably already had a handshake deal with. I've got no problem with any of that either. They obviously already know they work well together and Beane is already dialed into what McD likes/needs in players. If any inside ball got played in this last draft, then at least it was in favor of the Bills. Nice to be on the good side of something like that for a change. Let's roll.

Edited by BarleyNY

Look, just because anyone with a brain could see this coming doesn't mean that it was a bad move or even the wrong move.

The bottom line is that for an NFL organization to thrive you have to have a GM and HC who think alike and who will truly work together to build the team.

You could have the best GM in the world, but if he doesn't have the same vision as the HC and is constantly bringing in players that don't fit the schemes that the HC is trying to employ it's just not going to work.

Beane is very well qualified for this position. Carolina's Rivera and Hanley both mentioned on Bleacher Report that it was a very good move by the Bills and that they hated to lose Beane, who was with Carolina for 19 years working in just about every capacity, including as the Asst GM for Carolina.

Bill Polian, who not one to hand out compliments easily, praised the signing of McDermott and has now praised the signing of Beane as well.

I take that as a very good sign for the Bills.

I will give Beane the same benefits given to Whaley from much of this fan base-- especially since he is clearly the cause of our constant pattern of failure. Sheesh, what a joke this guy is!!! HANG HIM!!!

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Whaley was the golden boy to most of the fanbase up until about a year ago.

I don't think the search was embarrasing but rather not all encompassing, there is a difference - IMO the structure Terry/Kim have imposed basically ruled out just about every potential experienced NFL GM, the majority of whom wouldn't put up with it - Cleary we were only likely to hire a first time GM, who was willing to work alongside other team executives in building a team, than being the president and or all powerful general manager

So I like the hiring, given the situation, and I very much hope it works out for our team, that Terry/Kim's structure works, and that HC Sean works out

These moves could be a critical turning point in this franchise's history or just our owners going 0-4 with hires, or yet another middling result

So I share the OP's concern that this structure will actually lead to more successful seasons, and or that HC Sean has the experience to be as powerful as he is in shaping the future of our team, or that we currently have the on field talent to be competative - Lets be honest, most media pundits, and sports experts, and Las Vegas, etc only having us winning 6 games this year - How many of you who today who claim with impunity we're moving in the right direction, with all the recent changes, and this years off season moves, will feel the same way about the program if we only in fact win 6 games? I can't wait to see the defense of our new mgmt and ownership if this actually occurs, lol

Which is why I feel sorry for the OP (except if he/she has made racist posts b4), its not easy to be honest on any sports message board about being skeptical about changes your owner makes, there's always a majority gang of fans who support every owners move blindly, as was the case on the old BBMB when Rex was hired, if you suggested during the 2015 off season that our D might slip under Rex than was previous under Schwartz, or Terry/Kim had made a hiring mistake, you were literally beheaded game of throne style, but in actuality, you were proven in the end to be an astute fan, and the majority, as they often are, proven to stubbornly dead wrong

Which is why I'm sitting on the fence on all theses changes, while I'm ecstatic Rex and WD were released, I'm not necessarily automatically buying in on either our new HC or GM, until they yield results, sure I like their youth and pedigree of potential, and I'm all for a new direction, however I also see their humungous lack of NFL experience, and while I like our draft choices, and I was not all that impressed with our other off season moves, and the loss of comp picks, I see alot of player and mgmt changes but I still don;t see anything pointing to a 10 win season, so if we are not going to better off in 2018 than we were with DW and Rex, but are expecting to be worse, I am not sure why most folks see this as any form of progress, it looks like a transitional year, or a regressive year, how folks will spin that to our Bills being better off is mind boggling, but they will, and most eat it up

Mind you, should we actually go out and compete this year, then the experts assessment of this team will have been proved wrong, and lots more of us will eagerly buy in and more fully support all the recent changes, I hope this is the case, but until it occurs, we win more games than we lose, I have complete respect for those who question our owners, the teams direction, and have reasonable well thought out skepticism

Rant over

jc

Well said. I actually think Bills fans have more reason to be optimistic than they've had in a very long time, as things are being done differently than they've been done for a very long time. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but at least it's not the same old same old that hasn't worked for a decade+. We don't have to worry about a power struggle from day one. No more stories about our HC storming out of the draft room after Whaley trades multiple picks for a WR, or having his 2nd string QB traded away for future late round picks to force EJ up the depth chart. Whether or not this works remains to be seen, but I'll always be grateful to McDermott for the change he forced.

Actually they interviewed four people. How many would you have preferred? 10? 12? 25? From experience, when you are interviewing people for a job opening, you know when you have found the right person. Four candidates is plenty. They found the one they liked and hired him. Some people will complain no matter what this team does. How about we wait and see what Beane and McDermott can build together before we start crying about the process?

Don't even bother. Concepts like a "search firm" and "pre-interview screening" would probably make his head literally explode in a pink cloud of bone shards and grey matter.

Don't even bother. Concepts like a "search firm" and "pre-interview screening" would probably make his head literally explode in a pink cloud of bone shards and grey matter.

Yup -- 'cause, you know, jokers on a message board know exactly what process was followed through their careful examination of Twitter and the intarwebs.

Rant over

jc

This is a really good post. And you were one of the first ones to be skeptical of Rex. I'm much more skeptical this time around.