The impact of Shady's contract?

Reading Carucci's column in the Snooze today made me wonder how much longer Shady might be with us, given his age, star status, and salary.

I'm not as familiar with his contract and the impact on the cap, though. What would be the impact if he's let go after this season? Too much dead money? I don't necessarily want to see him go, but the new regime may not be as interested in a 29-year old RB with a high salary.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 year deal he was given after being traded here is like most 5 year deals. Lots of dead cap if he's released in the first 3 years, not so bad after that. In this case LM would carry $5.25 mil in dead cap for 2018 if released after this year. But we would actually gain $3.7 mil in cap space for 2018.

Keeping him around for 2018 and then releasing him would gain $6.425 mil in 2019 cap space.

Reading Carucci's column in the Snooze today made me wonder how much longer Shady might be with us, given his age, star status, and salary.

I'm not as familiar with his contract and the impact on the cap, though. What would be the impact if he's let go after this season? Too much dead money? I don't necessarily want to see him go, but the new regime may not be as interested in a 29-year old RB with a high salary.

After this season it's cheap to cut him. That seems to have been the design of the deal: three years in his prime then easy to cut and run.

He needs to have a solid year,the new regime has zero ties to most of this roster.

If they don't earn their paycheck they will be shown the door..

Edited by JMF2006

He needs to have a solid year,the new regime has zero ties to most of this roster.

yep! And stay out of trouble

Probably why he wants Veach as the GM because he drafted him

He had one of his best years of his career last year posting a career high in YPC at 5.4 and totaling the second most TDs of his career. With this position though, once he hits that RB wall he will be cut quickly.

He had one of his best years of his career last year posting a career high in YPC at 5.4 and totaling the second most TDs of his career. With this position though, once he hits that RB wall he will be cut quickly.

I think 1 more year after this we probably keep him. Draft a full replacement and phase him out.

For this year and on, he has no guaranteed salary. The only cap impact is his pro-rated bonus, which is prorated at $2.625M/yr over the next 3 years. So if we were to release him this year accelerates to $7.9M, next year $5.2, following year $2.625. His salary is basically $6M for the next 3 years. This year a cap savings of only $1M, next year $3.7M, following year $6.4M.

Hope this helps!

For this year and on, he has no guaranteed salary. The only cap impact is his pro-rated bonus, which is prorated at $2.625M/yr over the next 3 years. So if we were to release him this year accelerates to $7.9M, next year $5.2, following year $2.625. His salary is basically $6M for the next 3 years. This year a cap savings of only $1M, next year $3.7M, following year $6.4M.

Hope this helps!

This tells me that if he has a good 2017 he stays for 2018.

Can't wait until the next Chris Kelsay is the Bills' best player. :sick:

i'm not exactly endorsing this comment, but it's worth talking about. A no-star system works if you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. But look at most other teams; they have stars. Look Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay.

A lot of what seems to have been going on with the Bills is to model the organization after the Pats. That's all well and good if you have a Belichick, but McDermott hasn't coached one game yet, so I wonder whether it makes sense to go aggressively in that direction.

Atlanta has two players this year with cap hits over $10 million. Pats and Bills have three. Steelers, Packers, Seahawks all have five or six.

It's too early to tell where this team is headed so far as stars are concerned. But if they're going in the direction the Pats are going, McDermott and his new GM better be really good at figuring out who the athletes are that fit the system. And the system better be awfully good, because a mediocre system with mediocre talent ain't cuttin it in this league.

Until Shady shows me a sign of slowing down, I'm keeping him and paying him. He is an elite RB in this league and he hasn't shown any sign of slowing down yet. Yes, we know it's coming at some point, but we should wait until then before we start considering moving on. If he looks as good as he did last year this season, then there is no way I get rid of him in 2018. Very few RBs are a cut above the rest, he is one of them and is a game changer.

Edited by Mark80