Would you, right now, trade TT for Deshaun Watson?

267 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

Tyrod Taylor is a very talented NFL QB and he's still very young and in his prime. He's a top ten QB in this league right now.

In a better offensive system (i.e. the one that Dennison learned in Denver) who knows how good he can be??

I think the Bills owe it to themselves to find out this year what they truly have in Tyrod Taylor. I say give give a fair shot to show what he can do this year and let the cards fall where they may.

In the meantime, the Bills have hedged their bet by drafting C. Jones and N. Peterman. I see nothing wrong with that.

Tyrod Taylor is a very talented NFL QB and he's still very young and in his prime. He's a top ten QB in this league right now.

In a better offensive system (i.e. the one that Dennison learned in Denver) who knows how good he can be??

I think the Bills owe it to themselves to find out this year what they truly have in Tyrod Taylor. I say give give a fair shot to show what he can do this year and let the cards fall where they may.

In the meantime, the Bills have hedged their bet by drafting C. Jones and N. Peterman. I see nothing wrong with that.

TT top ten? Wow.

Top ten is not even close.

Maybe top 20. Since some retired and the rookies haven't played yet.

Brady

Rodgers

Big Ben

Carr

Cam

Ryan

Wilson

Brees

Eli

Cousins

No special order but I think everyone can agree Taylor does not rank above any of those

Winston

Dak

Wentz

Alex smith

Flacco

You can even argue Taylor isn't top 15 as most would rank those quarterbacks above him. And I'm probably even missing some

You can ask yourself all the right questions when looking at a college QB:

* Can he make all the throws?

* Does he have NFL arm strength?

* Is he a good leader?

* Does he have good 'eyes'?

* Does he anticipate?

* Does he have good footwork and mechanics?

* Does he have a high football IQ?

* Does he have a good football character and work ethic?

* Can he effectively move throw his progressions?

And so on.

Even if all the answers are the answers you want, he still might disappoint on the bigger stage.

Obviously, I would never trade a franchise QB for a rookie. But I wouldn't even be inclined to trade an average NFL QB for a rookie. Comparatively few drafted QBs even become average starters.

I wouldn't even be inclined to trade an average NFL QB for a rookie. Comparatively few drafted QBs even become average starters.

I understand that. But for one I believed in I would if I had no other choice. The reality is of course the Bills were not faced with that choice. They could have had both.

Edited by GunnerBill

I understand that. But for one I believed in I would if I had no other choice. The reality is of course the Bills were not faced with that choice. They could have had both.

Gunner, many people on here believe in Tyrod Taylor so they have no interest in drafting one. That fans think that doesn't worry me. The defensive coach they hired might think the same way, a scary thought.

I wouldn't. TT was hamstrung by the Bills' run-first offense that did not clear middle routes very well. Let's see what a new system that's not so easy to defense will do for TT. He did pretty darn well in a bad offense last year while also missing the #1 WR for half the season and being benched for no valid reason by Whaley the last game.

Without totally avoiding the question, it depends. The Texans would be better off with Tyrod, the Jets would be better off with Watson. It depends where your team is. For the Bills I think that they are better off with Tyrod (I guess). He gives them the best chance to win now. If it is determined that this team is entering a rebuild they can cut ties and have 2 #1's in a great QB draft to get their guy.

With that being said we could certainly argue it either way.

I like this answer.

Without totally avoiding the question, it depends. The Texans would be better off with Tyrod, the Jets would be better off with Watson. It depends where your team is. For the Bills I think that they are better off with Tyrod (I guess). He gives them the best chance to win now. If it is determined that this team is entering a rebuild they can cut ties and have 2 #1's in a great QB draft to get their guy.

With that being said we could certainly argue it either way.

Ask yourself why all the innumerable teams that needed a qb this offseason showed no interest in TT? He could have made himself available. If he would have refused to restructure his contract he would have been a free agent and available to sell his services. Why didn't he go that route? There was a good reason why he took the course that he did in taking the pay cut. There was little to no interest in him as a starter or as a bridge qb.

It was speculated that the Jets would have an interest in him. They didn't. It was speculated that Houston would have an interest in him. They didn't. It was speculated that Denver had an interest in him. They didn't. The market has set a value on him and it was far from being high. That is a reflection of the league-wide assessment of how good he is.

No way is Taylor top 10, I don't think he makes it into the top 20 as a passer. Passing yardage is too low, cannot see the entire field, poor field vision. Does not audible into plays that are advantageous to the offense. Does not anticipate players running open, has a poor understanding of what the defense is doing and makes poor adjustments.

No. TT has established himself as one of the top 30 QBs in the world. That makes him a bottom tier NFL starter. But it's still an incredibly high stature that should not be diminished.

So we shouldn't want to aim higher than a bottom tier NFL starter? We are just going to settle for a 5 or 6 when there are 9 & 10s out there?

Yes, we can do much worse than TT. But we can do better. This reminds of the Fitz years. One of the biggest mistakes Chan did was not drafting a higher round qb to learn under Fitz. This would have been a perfect spot to draft a young qb and have them sit for a year.

This is another thing to worry about a defensive coach making personnel choices. They are going to go with the conservative, safe choice most of the time. Sadly, I have visions of another year of missing the playoffs and then not having enough trade bait to get a top qb next year.

Well said. And he protected throwing to WR he had no chemistry with. Crazy how under appreciated he is on here, yet in North jersey, giants/Jets fans talk about him like he's a strength at the qb position, not a liability

In Seattle he is very respected as well. My dog groomer just could NOT understand how the Bills would even consider dumping him. He thinks the Bills and a team to watch on the way up.

When walking dog yesterday my neighbor asked me about the draft. Then he told me really likes Hotrod and thinks the Bills are on the way up.

I also think it's crazy the way TBDers trash him on a regular basis.

I just think we've been losing for so long that some fans don't even know what trying to win means or why a team would want to do it.

Go BILLS !!

GO Hotrod !!

Top ten is not even close.

Maybe top 20. Since some retired and the rookies haven't played yet.

Brady

Rodgers

Big Ben

Carr

Cam

Ryan

Wilson

Brees

Eli

Cousins

No special order but I think everyone can agree Taylor does not rank above any of those

Winston

Dak

Wentz

Alex smith

Flacco

You can even argue Taylor isn't top 15 as most would rank those quarterbacks above him. And I'm probably even missing some

How in the the heck is Wentz better? 16 TDs 14 Ints and 14 fumbles. Younger and drafted higher, OK, but not better. At least not at this point.

Rest of 'em I agree with.

Wentz is a Captain Checkdown.

Edited by reddogblitz

Tyrod isn't a liability. He isn't a strength either.

I guess I'd have to agree, but I believe he definitely has the ability to become a strength.

Point was, people in my area view Taylor as a atrength. They talk very highly of him.

Who on this board has been a harsher critic of Rex than I? Who on this board has more often stated that Rex was not only a bad coach but he set this franchise back by years? Where we have a fundamental disagreement is that I don't believe this roster is as good as you think it is. In addition, we have a fundamental disagreement on how good TT is and can be. I see this team as a 6 to 7 win team, and if McDermott coaches the team to 8 wins he will have done a superb job.

If you examine the Bills record over the past five years or so what you will find that our established record doesn't illustrate how mediocre our team is. The record against winning teams is dismal. My point is that the record understates the true status of the team.

When you watch a good team with a qood qb playing and compare it to a Buffalo game there is a stark qualitative difference to the caliber of play. In my estimation the Bills are not close to being a playoff team. The organization is going through a dramatic change and the roster will steadily be reworked to the point that the Whaley imprint will be negligible. What I have often stated and still strongly hold to is that until the qb position is significantly upgrade this team will continue to flounder. While you understandably have a more positive view my view is much more jaundiced. I say with utmost confidence that this team is not a playoff team. It comes down to different folks with different judgments.

I don't know that the two of you are distant on your takes. I think if pressed you and Kirby are maybe a win apart on your guesses and he's just saying if we stay healthy and get some dumb luck bounces in the right situations maybe that 7-8 wins becomes 9-10 wins. I don't think he expects it but the reality is that once discussing 7-8 wins, it's not impossible to get lucky and sneak in. That said I'd probably guess 6 wins is more likely than 10

Tyrod is the definition of a coach killer. Just good enough to win some games but not good enough to win enough games. Ok enough of that. ☺ That said, I have zero faith that Watson will be any better.

Edited by MikeSpeed

I suppose that ultimately also depends on what we do with the extra 1st in '18 as well.

This is what everyone who is bemoaning the Bills not making a move for a qb this year needs to remember.

The Bills met with all of the top prospects. Although you may feel one of these guys will be a franchise guy the Bills clearly didn't think mahomes or watson would be. Therefore they set themselves up to be in a better position for qb next year which by many accounts may have better prospects.

They are addressing the qb position but they chose to pick one of the guys from next year's class instead of this one. jeffismagic you always talk about long term planning and here is an example of the Bills doing exactly that. You can't complain that "wrestler sean" will only think short sighted and then complain when he thinks strategically for the long term.

This is what everyone who is bemoaning the Bills not making a move for a qb this year needs to remember.

The Bills met with all of the top prospects. Although you may feel one of these guys will be a franchise guy the Bills clearly didn't think mahomes or watson would be.

Except in fairness to Jeff there are rumours that the man who was still at least in name GM did have a Quarterback in his sights at 10.