Great Article on Bills/Whaley by John Kryk

This idea that the Bills fan attendance and excitement couldn't go down if it weren't marketed is silly. Half of it is Bills fan stubbornness to give up, and the other half is thanks to Russ Brandon and the marketing team to give thousands hope that this will be the year. Put the two together and you have Bills fans notorious for keeping attendance high through a 18 year drought.

So are you stubborn, or do you fall into the 'sucker for hope' category?

I'm honestly neither, the tailgate crew and the sunday ritual keep me paying for a season ticket every year.

Is it more fun if/when the good guys win? Of course it is. But I don't emotionally attach myself either way anymore. It's sheer entertainment value. That's it. I think it's like that for a lot of people.

I certainly don't define myself based on a football team, or let something so silly affect my emotions.

I mostly want the Bills, and the Sabres for that matter, to do well for the community at large. It's a lot of fun in WNY when the teams are winning. At least I think that's how I remember it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that article pedestrian and trite. 75% of this board could have written it. Whine about some innocuous thing and make sure to worship at the alter of Bellichick. How is that original or insightful in any way?

I found that article pedestrian and trite. 75% of this board could have written it. Whine about some innocuous thing and make sure to worship at the alter of Bellichick. How is that original or insightful in any way?

It's a legitimate way to write an article: find something good, use it as a standard and compare it to something poor. I thought it was pretty decent. Some might think the part about Whaley playing with his daughter is overreaching, but it could also be used to signal that he knew he was on the way out.

It's a legitimate way to write an article: find something good, use it as a standard and compare it to something poor. I thought it was pretty decent. Some might think the part about Whaley playing with his daughter is overreaching, but it could also be used to signal that he knew he was on the way out.

That's the way I took it - that it was a sign that Whaley had been completely marginalized at that point, not that it was indicative of his tenure.

It probably was a signal that he was on his way out. If true, then why is it a reason to be critical of the Bills or Whaley? He got some extra family time while presumably other members of the Bills staff from the McDermott tree were doing draft work. According to most, our draft went well. So how is this dysfunction.

And how was Bellichick at the showcase days a sign of brilliance anyway? They had 4 picks and used none of them on anyone from down there. If that were the Bills, the trip would have been called a boondoggle.

Kryk was saying those secure in their jobs continued to work, while those who weren't secure got some extra fam time.

Those with secure positions represent a focused, successful organization.

Those playing on the lawn represent a dysfunctional, confused, disorganized mess.

It's really not that hard to decipher.

All you need to know is 46-66 as the Bills GM...........no one deserves a job with those stats.

That is 7 seasons. How many years was Whaley GM?

I mean, personally, I'm in favor of letting McWrestler bring in his man. Out with the divided roles and evaded responsibility. Let McWrestler have plenty of rope and succeed or fall having been given all that he wants.

But c'mon folks, if the man has 4 years as GM, give him 4 years, and his record has to sum to 64 games (16 x 4) this isn't Hidden Figures Rocket Science. And even there, you pretty much have to give the guy his first year as belonging to his predecessor.

That is 7 seasons. How many years was Whaley GM?

I mean, personally, I'm in favor of letting McWrestler bring in his man. Out with the divided roles and evaded responsibility. Let McWrestler have plenty of rope and succeed or fall having been given all that he wants.

But c'mon folks, if the man has 4 years as GM, give him 4 years, and his record has to sum to 64 games (16 x 4) this isn't Hidden Figures Rocket Science. And even there, you pretty much have to give the guy his first year as belonging to his predecessor.

I like giving him the reigns too. There's an idea that he hasn't proven himself enough to rule the land - but are guys who are proven available to teams like Buffalo? I don't know enough to know, but my gut tells me proven winners aren't coming here. We need to take a flyer on someone.

Random thought here - I wonder what a guy like Tim Lieweke could do with an NFL franchise like the Bills? Tim seems to right bad clubs then leave them just before they shine.

Russ seems to be in the middle of a lot of what was going on according to the article. Where else do these leaks come from if not him. He is the problem with the Bills and we need to start a petition to get this guy out of there!

It's not very hard to see why the Bills and Sabres sell so well in Buffalo. There's not a whole lot else to do in Buffalo, especially during the cold months when these teams play. Transport Buffalo to Florida or Southern Cal and I'd be willing to bet business wouldn't be doing as well given both teams' recent performances.

The real irony in all of this, is that if McDermott does succeed, will anyone give Whaley credit for pointing the Pegulas in his direction?

Whaley's tenure as GM, has been consistently undermined, by circumstances largely out of his control.

Unfortunately, it all starts with the selection of EJ.

Marrone never really seemed interested in developing him, and Hackett was incapable of doing so. Instead of sitting behind a vet for a year or two, he has to start immediately, due to the stupid decision to keep Kolb over Jackson. One guy (Jackson) has toughed out injuries and carried on playing in the past, the other has an injury list as long as your arm, including multiple concussions. Who then trips and suffers another one, that totally ices his career.

Marrone's desire to 'win now', hangs EJ out to dry against JJ Watt and the Texans, so he can use the vet (Orton) he's most comfortable with. Whaley simply can't do anything about this, as Marrone is Brandon's guy.

Ralph passes, and there's a state of flux until the Pegulas buy the team.

Marrone bails out, probably due to Orton retiring, as much as anything else, and Whaley then has to deal with the Ryan Circus. Once again, the choice not being his.

In the unlikely event Whaley becomes a GM again (I doubt he wants it anymore), I'd bet my bottom dollar, it wouldn't be without contractual say over HCs and Scouting teams. I'm sure he will get another job in the not too distant future, as he's not done anywhere near as bad a job here, as people seem to think, given the variety of crap circumstances he's had to put up with.

He was by no means faultless, and I rather suspect that the issues with RFA tenders in the last two years, are one of the things that the Pegulas didn't like especially, although that is speculation.

Overall, I'd still say the stuff he got right, outweighed the mistakes, and there's still a pretty decent core to the team, providing they are kept healthy.

Is he, though?

We are a built-in audience. Does anyone buy tickets because of a slogan, or a giveaway or based on who's "leading the charge", or any such nonsense?

No, we go because it's a cheap party, a day out with fam and friends. Oh, and there's a football game at 1:00.

Ticket sales . rex was hired and look what happened? contrary to common sense

Russ seems to be in the middle of a lot of what was going on according to the article. Where else do these leaks come from if not him. He is the problem with the Bills and we need to start a petition to get this guy out of there!

The leaks were just ruinous IMO. easy to paint a picture of dysfunction for the paint by numbers BN

The real irony in all of this, is that if McDermott does succeed, will anyone give Whaley credit for pointing the Pegulas in his direction?

Whaley's tenure as GM, has been consistently undermined, by circumstances largely out of his control.

Unfortunately, it all starts with the selection of EJ.

Marrone never really seemed interested in developing him, and Hackett was incapable of doing so. Instead of sitting behind a vet for a year or two, he has to start immediately, due to the stupid decision to keep Kolb over Jackson. One guy (Jackson) has toughed out injuries and carried on playing in the past, the other has an injury list as long as your arm, including multiple concussions. Who then trips and suffers another one, that totally ices his career.

Marrone's desire to 'win now', hangs EJ out to dry against JJ Watt and the Texans, so he can use the vet (Orton) he's most comfortable with. Whaley simply can't do anything about this, as Marrone is Brandon's guy.

Ralph passes, and there's a state of flux until the Pegulas buy the team.

Marrone bails out, probably due to Orton retiring, as much as anything else, and Whaley then has to deal with the Ryan Circus. Once again, the choice not being his.

In the unlikely event Whaley becomes a GM again (I doubt he wants it anymore), I'd bet my bottom dollar, it wouldn't be without contractual say over HCs and Scouting teams. I'm sure he will get another job in the not too distant future, as he's not done anywhere near as bad a job here, as people seem to think, given the variety of crap circumstances he's had to put up with.

He was by no means faultless, and I rather suspect that the issues with RFA tenders in the last two years, are one of the things that the Pegulas didn't like especially, although that is speculation.

Overall, I'd still say the stuff he got right, outweighed the mistakes, and there's still a pretty decent core to the team, providing they are kept healthy.

regardless of your conclusions. Because i am not making judgement here. this is a fine post.

Dougie had tough row to hoe of that there should be no doubt.

btw

i think something aside the business OP was found out.

But cleaning house is just that.

Terry and Kim have full ownership of every move here on. that is what they want

Some of the best Bills articles come from the Toronto Sun by this guy and this is no exception.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/30/bills-owner-fires-gm-doug-whaley-day-after-completing-nfl-draft

Thanx for the link and post.

I didnt see this as a Bellichick focussed article. He does compare to that gold standard, sure. But really points to how messes up the Bills organization is and is likely to continue to be due to Brandon's continued presence.

The day Brandon gets fired, will be a day of great joy for all Bills fans. Hope the man gets kicked to the curb and never gets hired by another pro-sports team.

As an aside - I see major shades of Greggo in McDermott. As the resident expert on Greggo, what do you think?

Terry and Kim have full ownership of every move here on. that is what they want

The brief history of the Pegulas says otherwise. They never owned the Ryan hire even though it was their choice..

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Thanx for the link and post.

I didnt see this as a Bellichick focussed article. He does compare to that gold standard, sure. But really points to how messes up the Bills organization is and is likely to continue to be due to Brandon's continued presence.

The day Brandon gets fired, will be a day of great joy for all Bills fans. Hope the man gets kicked to the curb and never gets hired by another pro-sports team.

As an aside - I see major shades of Greggo in McDermott. As the resident expert on Greggo, what do you think?

The brief history of the Pegulas says otherwise. They never owned the Ryan hire even though it was their choice..

I do not think this is true at it's heart. They said yes. agreed.

I do not think this is true at it's heart. They said yes. agreed.

Not too sure about that but I wont argue it too hard. The Pegulas are showing themselves to be the dreaded 'meddlesome owners' that many used to accuse RWilson of being. I just dont like the way they are handling the Bills. I would love to be proven wrong by seeing a winning team.

Sure, you can take a brief vignette and write a story around it. And in the process disregard any other relevant context to fit a predetermined story line.

Who's to say Whaley didn't burn the midnight oil the night before so he could play for a few minutes with his daughter? We'll never know because either Kryk doesn't know or never bothered to find out. A casual passerby could see the same thing and jump to the same ill-informed conclusion.

All these articles to me are like a Mexican restaurant menu - everything has the same ingredients, just arranged differently. The Whaley playtime thing is just a few more jalapenos thrown on top.

Not a defender of Whaley's, just don't care for Kryk attaching some special meaning onto playing with his daughter.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Article was good for the most part.

Got me thinking, Whaley's best move would have been to fire Marrone when he benched EJ, and put Swartz in at HC.

Other facts;

Whaley deserved more time

Overdorf probably does not

The Brandon hate is funny

The Nicknames are silly, fellas...I hope all you cheeseballs are young at least...

Sure, you can take a brief vignette and write a story around it. And in the process disregard any other relevant context to fit a predetermined story line.

Who's to say Whaley didn't burn the midnight oil the night before so he could play for a few minutes with his daughter? We'll never know because either Kryk doesn't know or never bothered to find out. A casual passerby could see the same thing and jump to the same ill-informed conclusion.

All these articles to me are like a Mexican restaurant menu - everything has the same ingredients, just arranged differently. The Whaley playtime thing is just a few more jalapenos thrown on top.

Not a defender of Whaley's, just don't care for Kryk attaching some special meaning onto playing with his daughter.

Did you read the article?

How was Whaley scouting players burning the midnight oil when their pro days occurred at a point the author noted Whaley couldnt have been there?

Tuesday was pro day university of florida.

Wednesday was pro day miami florida and 11 others.

The author notes during lunch hour in Arizona on a Wednesday on a lawn he witnessed Whaley playing with his daughter.

He did attach meaning you just failed to read the article.

Edited by Bill_with_it