Great Article on Bills/Whaley by John Kryk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pegulas need to wake up and find a president of football ops with experience and a clear vision to build a winning program from the top down.

Sorry, I just don't agree that the hiring of a "President of Football Ops" is contingent on brandon being fired

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello." He impressed them so much, that as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him to have his wife (who had been invited to Boca Raton as well, but couldn't make the trip) call her for information about housing and other essentials in Western New York.

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

Just read that. So Pegulas' become spellbound by Sean when they interview him. They had no desire to get rid of Whaley or the scouts before. But because they want Sean they decide to not only make him the coach but also the GM. Now Sean can pick the players as GM even though he has no front office experience.

This is not a carefully considered plan. This is Pegula hippety hoppy decision making on full display again.

Spellbound? What are you even talking about? Did you read this part?

"Sean’s a head coach," the owner said. "When we hire a new GM, we’ll talk about, obviously, his obligations and duties, but Sean’s a head coach. The GM’s going to be the GM."

Thank you for the great article. Nobody can tell how true some of the back story is, but he recounts solid facts and it is a very good summary.

When I compare the quality of this with what we get in The Buffalo News, it highlights how sad TBN has become.

Last, I think it is very odd for a team to have the top salesman in charge. Who does that? He may be the best salesman for three states around, or even west of the Mississippi, but how does that get turned into he becomes CEO of a football team? (or whatever his title is)That doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

What I see is coach draft and lots of picks thrown away to fill needs. Drafted players with lower upside and looking for plug and play to get through the year.

I would prefer a real GM be hired here who has a longer vision and a plan to try to win a Superbowl, not just filling needs for the next year.

Don't forget a GM that knows how to get those extra comp picks in the bottom of the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. God knows every successful team was built on late round comp picks not on players drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Really good article.

A major problem is obviously Russ Brandon, yet he remains untouchable.

The Pegulas have yet to demonstrate with either of their professional sports franchises that they're competent owners. Both organizations have been incredibly unstable with constant turnover and neither team has any success whatsoever on the field/ice.

I'm thankful that the Pegulas bought, and kept the Bills in Buffalo, but the amount of power that they've handed to McDermott seems like a recipe for real disaster. He appears to be running the whole show despite being nothing more than a pretty average defensive coordinator for most of his career.

I'm not overly optimistic this is going to work out. There's simply no precedent for a coach as green as McDermott having this much control succeeding in their first stint as HC.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by jrober38

I've never read a specific reason why Russ Brandon is a major problem.

There is all sorts of speculation, but nothing other than he is a member of a very unsuccessful brain trust.

Maybe he provides some sort of stability with vendors and agents that makes him a valuable resource.

I don't really believe that Russ Brandon has any say in personnel decisions anymore.

He might offer a thumbs up, or thumbs down opinion, but I don't think he has veto power over anybody.