We should trade Sammy

Were not picking up his option because he's a bad football player, it's health related, so a 7th rounder is a good deal for Sammy at this point? I'd rather keep him and hope for the best. Were not tanking were just not commiting to a guy who might be broken and I see nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were not picking up his option because he's a bad football player, it's health related, so a 7th rounder is a good deal for Sammy at this point? I'd rather keep him and hope for the best. Were not tanking were just not commiting to a guy who might be broken and I see nothing wrong with that.

He's a bad football player? Do you even watch football?

Intriguing idea. I think that the only franchise crazy enough to give up their next year's 1st rd pick would be that Jim airway of the Colts. WR Donte Moncrief is also in his contract year as well and as much as Sammy can't stay healthy neither can Moncrief.

This is how you handle the Sammy situation so we don't have a repeat of the Gilmore episode...

1...No 5th year option

2...At the end of the season offer a contract extension based on performance

3...If Sammy refuses, and instead, asks for a ridiculous amount that the Bills don't ever foresee bringing themselves to pay, franchise tag him and trade him for the best possible offer.

Aside from the 5th year option, this was exactly what i wanted the Bills to do for Gilmore...I knew that if they couldn't come to a contract agreement before he played his final season, he was not coming back...I wanted the Bills to trade Gilmore the year before because that would have been the Patriot Way- get something instead of nothing for a good player you are not going to keep. Instead the Bills decided to take their chances, knowing full well they were never going to give Gilmore what he wanted. In the end, they lost out and got nothing. Belichick would never have allowed that to happen, and i fear that is what will happen with Sammy.

The only thing that makes sense is that McDermott hates him. Otherwise the option is picked up yesterday.

I know you don't really think this...there are very legitimate reasons why not to give the 5th year option...you don't guarantee a massive amount of money when a guy can't prove he can stay healthy...in addition, the franchise tag affords the Bills extra time to decide on Sammy's future.

Edited by JaCrispy

Injuries and last year of his contract.. He has little trade value

LOL

Young WR and clearly one of the most talented players in the NFL. Coming off an injury that takes time but which has been overcome by many. Also....not the last year of his contract.

31 teams would take for him.

I know you don't really think this...there are very legitimate reasons why not to give the 5th year option...you don't guarantee a massive amount of money when a guy can't prove he can stay healthy...in addition, the franchise tag affords the Bills extra time to decide on Sammy's future.

What does that even mean? That he has inferior foot bones? How does one prove his bones won't break?

The franchise tag can be used on a different player as I'm sure you're aware. The 5th year option is like a 2nd franchise tag. Why give up one of your chips?

Picking up the option does not diminish his trade value, it enhances it....unless you trade him tomorrow as I believe the deadline is Tuesday, in which case his new team would pick up the option in a nanosecond.

So not picking up his option would cost the team a franchise player chip, diminish the trade value for Sammy and cause us to pay more if we want to keep him next year. That doesn't sound like something a coach...and currently de facto GM....would do out of logic....it sounds like spite and/or hate.

If you don't pick up the option and he gets hurt and you let him walk, then McDermott has the right to say "see I told you so". That is the ENTIRE upside to not picking it up. It's ridiculous. McDermott is relegating himself to rooting for an injury or looking bad.

It is pretty clear that the odds of the Bills picking it up are immeasurably small at this point because if they were going to do it, they would have done it already.

If we are truly not picking up his option, we might as well salvage something from him while we can. We likely aren't contending for anything this year anyways so I feel this might be the right move. What could we get? Would you do it?

Edit: yes, I know, a snap reaction to the firing but might as well see what the board thinks!

I disagree about us not contending.

Look at the past 2 years, an absolute mess of a defensive scheme, serious injuries to impact players and a dysfunctional locker room, yet we were still in contention, so many close losses that could easily turn into wins.

With what should be a vastly improved defense ,still the best running game in the league,and hopefully not a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players, I see us as serious contenders in an overall weak AFC conference, so I would be extremely disappointed if # 14 was traded.

His talent is elite, he just has to stay on the field. After what we invested, it'd be a shame to give up on him in his 4th year...

If we are truly not picking up his option, we might as well salvage something from him while we can. We likely aren't contending for anything this year anyways so I feel this might be the right move. What could we get? Would you do it?

Edit: yes, I know, a snap reaction to the firing but might as well see what the board thinks!

Funny how things change. I started a thread urging this last offseason, and I got almost 100% eyeroll emojis and the like. I see things so far are a little different this year ... Really, you have to look at who has trade value on this team to start trying to build a real winning core by 2019, when Sammy clearly won't be here. Whaley was too invested in Sammy to even consider it, but now that the new leadership can look at it in the clear light of day, I think the answer is obvious.

In 13 games in 2015, his sophomore season, he had 60 catches for 1047 yds and 9 TDs. With supposed trash as his QB.

Then in the off season he suffers the Jones fracture. Tries to play. Clearly can't. Should have been completely shut down.

I'm fine with no option if he's not healthy. But let's stop with the nonsense he's a bust or he's overrated. The exact opposite. It's not his fault his moron GM (still believe to this day it was a Brandon move) drafted him how they did.

If we picked him in the 5th round he'd be viewed completely different from fans.

No way I'm trading him.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Big Blitz

What does that even mean? That he has inferior foot bones? How does one prove his bones won't break?

The franchise tag can be used on a different player as I'm sure you're aware. The 5th year option is like a 2nd franchise tag. Why give up one of your chips?

Picking up the option does not diminish his trade value, it enhances it....unless you trade him tomorrow as I believe the deadline is Tuesday, in which case his new team would pick up the option in a nanosecond.

So not picking up his option would cost the team a franchise player chip, diminish the trade value for Sammy and cause us to pay more if we want to keep him next year. That doesn't sound like something a coach...and currently de facto GM....would do out of logic....it sounds like spite and/or hate.

If you don't pick up the option and he gets hurt and you let him walk, then McDermott has the right to say "see I told you so". That is the ENTIRE upside to not picking it up. It's ridiculous. McDermott is relegating himself to rooting for an injury or looking bad.

It is pretty clear that the odds of the Bills picking it up are immeasurably small at this point because if they were going to do it, they would have done it already.

Well...you can't really prove that a guy won't get hurt again...but what you can do is get a little better idea if a guy can play a full season after such an injury...I think that is what McD might want to do- which seems very understandable, considering the 5th year option carries an injury guarantee. But rooting for an injury seems a little over the top, as I feel McD just doesn't want his hands tied if the option is offered and Sammy can't seem to play.

Now, I understand what you mean about the franchise tag being an extra "chip" to use, and I agree...however, certain circumstances may require a different course of action. And if waiting a season to figure out the best route to take with your top player is the plan, I can certainly appreciate McD's methodical approach...however, time will tell as there are still a few days to decide.

Edited by JaCrispy

I think it is not a big deal between giving him the option and tagging him, except that tagging can be done at the end of next season.

I think it is not a big deal between giving him the option and tagging him, except that tagging can be done at the end of next season.

This is a major benefit of why the tag may be the better option