McDermott preaches character & integrity.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College scouting have their reports done at the end of CFB and the team assembles its board in January. Things may move around slightly with FA and workouts but generally there aren't big changes because they know who they are and aren't paying, and players only drop significantly if they get injured or arrested. McD had a good idea who the Panthers wanted to take before he left. I think this is why he hired ECU WR coach. They probably had been scouting Zay closely and the coach established a strong reputation in the Panthers organization.

Edited by YoloinOhio

College scouting have their reports done at the end of CFB and the team assembles its board in January. Things may move around slightly with FA and workouts but generally there aren't big changes because they know who they are and aren't paying, and players only drop significantly if they get injured or arrested. McD had a good idea who the Panthers wanted to take before he left. I think this is why he hired ECU WR coach. They probably had been scouting Zay closely and the coach established a strong reputation in the Panthers organization.

Also, it's not like these players were unknowns. I'm sure every team had them ranked appropriately on their boards. Team visits were probably done after McDermott was hired. Can't see this being an issue.

I sure hope there was no collusion with Carolina's Asst GM Brandon Beane during the draft. If so I would find that VERY hypocritical and I for one would not want him to become the new GM of the Bills. Talk about having trust issues!

Be careful of trusting those that preach, most of the time, they are full of it.

Also, it's not like these players were unknowns. I'm sure every team had them ranked appropriately on their boards. Team visits were probably done after McDermott was hired. Can't see this being an issue.

correct -he was well aware from the scouting meetings all year that those were big targets of theirs, before he ever left the Panthers. He played the draft well with that knowledge. It's not like the pre draft visits are a secret either. I don't see the integrity issue at all. Edited by YoloinOhio

Exactly. McDermott knows that organization very well and was there when Carolina was scouting this year's draft. Why wouldn't he use that info to his advantage? Especially if he didn't fully trust our (now fired) scouting staff.

Plus, teams jump other teams every single year because they have some type of info/hunch that team will draft the player they want.

Like Kansas City just this year - they traded with us to get 10 because they were convinced New Orleans would take Mahomes, and come to find out after the draft NO did in fact love Mahomes and would have likely drafted him. Does that mean KC had a spy in NO office? Of course not.

So did Levy.

Very much so, and while the Bills have never won a Championship its very possible having an overabundance of good character was the driving force that helped carry the Bills to 4 straight Superbowls.

Edited by Figster

It is not a lack of integrity to use knowledge you have to your benefit. He had to risk trading picks to get in front to take a player which may or may not work out like it always does. You can guess what most of these teams want to do anyway based on their roster. He may have had a little more insider knowledge than normal but that happens all the time when coaches and players move around the NFL.

I sure hope there was no collusion with Carolina's Asst GM Brandon Beane during the draft. If so I would find that VERY hypocritical and I for one would not want him to become the new GM of the Bills. Talk about having trust issues!

There was no collusion, just paranoid bills fans who don't know how to handle something positive with this franchise.