Bills GM Candidates

wppete

So far, all the candidates appear to be pretty young, and I'm very dubious about their ability to both set up, and bring in, guys needed for scouting etc.

On the one hand, I'm pretty unimpressed by some of the nepotism that goes around in the NFL, on the other hand, you actually need to have put in a fair amount of time, to build up contacts with the right people, or even to identify the right people. I'm not especially convinced any of the guys interviewed so far, have that.

Why is it that I'm already getting the feeling that the next draft will have McDermott making the first few picks, and then a sim like Drafttek doing the rest....

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is where I am. I think, McWrestler essentially wants a head scout to do a detailed job collecting and processing information so he can make the calls, though, so maybe the lack of track record or GM experience is actually right for the job. What confuses me is how contracts will be handled and who will be accountable there.

There were various hints they had used a search firm during the HC search, so they may in fact be doing the same for GM. They also seemed to be putting some weight on the NFL Career Development Advisory Panel candidates for HC jobs. I don't know who was on their GM list, but it's possible they're making use of that as well. Unofficial adviser, Polian would be my guess.

I'm thinking that the interview process is more or less a formality and Beane is the man.

I'm not convinced. We don't even know if Beane and McDerm like or talk to each other. You might be able to assume that by us interviewing him but who knows.

I'm not convinced. We don't even know if Beane and McDerm like or talk to each other. You might be able to assume that by us interviewing him but who knows.

I'll just say that I doubt they're interviewing anyone without McD's OK. All of the news points to him calling the shots.

Looks like a favorite has emerged: Panthers asst GM Brandon Beane is headed back to Buffalo for second GM interview with Bills, per source.

Wouldn't the correct report be, Beane is headed to Buffalo for second interview after spending the first one in Florida with the owners?

Charlie Casserly made a great point on how Pete Carroll and Andy Reid were able to work with great GM's. Many people on this board have said look at these guys as an example of what Sean McDermott will be. But keep in mind that Pete Carroll did not have a prior relationship with John Schneider. He interviewed to find the best. And he listens to his GM even though he technically has the power.

Carroll is one of the league’s best coaches; Schneider one of the league’s best general managers. Both have ego, and both have the pedigree to warrant such ego.

But I always think back to one example that shows how and why their relationship has worked, and it happens to involve their most famous and important player: quarterback Russell Wilson.

Schneider loved Wilson. He loved the way he “tilted” the field his way; you just had to focus on Wilson when he played. Schneider lobbied hard for him.

Carroll and his coaches weren’t immediately convinced. As offensive line coach Tom Cable said, “We were just trying to understand what he could see in a guy who was undersized at that position.”

Carroll told the MMQB that Schneider “convinced” him of Wilson’s value.

Yet when Carroll and his coaches watched Wilson on the field during his rookie season, they saw what Schneider saw.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/dynamic-between-seahawks-pete-carroll-and-john-schneider-has-been-fantastic/

Was hoping for Veach. Yet, I understand the move here.

Beane was being groomed and there is a good concensus around his talent evaluation.

a couple things with Veach... it's possible he wasn't interested. Sometimes when a guy is at a certain point where he's starting to get GM interest but also happy where he is, he might have a list of places he would be willing to go and he might prefer to see what else comes up in the next go around of openings. Also, McD might have thought highly of Veach as a front office candidate, but ultimately felt more comfortable with the guy he's worked with directly.

I can't help but feel this was an underwhelming search, obviously restricted by our HC already in place.

Earlier this offseason, the colts seemingly had around three times as many interviews as us with the 'big'/recognizable names, and I just wish we had the opportunity to do that. If two guys with similar views are pulling the rope together in the same direction, then I guess I'll try to be a little optimistic, but this just brings back tougher memories of bigger names (by consensus) declining to even interview for HC with us back in 2009 (Schottenheimer and Harbaugh were a few I recall).

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

I can't help but feel this was an underwhelming search, obviously restricted by our HC already in place.

Earlier this offseason, the colts seemingly had around three times as many interviews as us with the 'big'/recognizable names, and I just wish we had the opportunity to do that. If two guys with similar views are pulling the rope together in the same direction, then I guess I'll try to be a little optimistic, but this just brings back tougher memories of bigger names (by consensus) declining to even interview for HC with us back in 2009 (Schottenheimer and Harbaugh were a few I recall).

LMAO Obstructed? How about a man with a clear vision, no BS and wants to get it done right? I am sick of this 5 different people making decisions BS. Where has that got us? McDermott has a clear vision, has two damn good systems with two good coaches running them.

He finally cleared out the swap that was our scouting department and letting a guy who is ready to do the job, take it over and fill it. One guy, one vision, ownership has bought in, the GM will support the vision and get us the players that fit the vision and the systems.

This is a GREAT time in Buffalo Bills history imho and WAY over due.

Ian Rapport reporting Packers Director big Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst is being interviewed today

This is good news. Didn't want Beane to get the job just because of the McD connection. It ought to be an exhaustive search. Gutekunst is well regarded.

And if Beane wins in the end, so be it. But the Bills need to talk to the best #2s and #3s in the league.

Even if they know Beane is the guy, I think they also want to pick the brains of these personnel guys and their team building strategies. An interview process is a great way to dig into successful FOs and how they do things, a really good learning opportunity.