McD's Off the field Obsession

wppete

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Foster's health (shoulder injury) also caused him to slide. High mileage on that body.

Whatever caused Foster to drop was significant enough for many teams to pass on him. I don't know if it was solely character or if their might have been an injury concern as well. There were also some suggestions that he struggled learning the play book

These are valid points as well. The Foster thing was weird to me, he seemed like such an awesome prospect but then he slid so far that I thought for sure there was something seriously wrong with him that wasn't out to the general public yet but then the 49ers draft him and all we heard about once again was how awesome this guy is gonna be. I have a buddy who is a 49ers fan who is absolutely thrilled that they were able to grab him.

I agree with the OP somewhat in the sense that I really thought we could have had the steal of the draft with Reuben Foster at 27, I know the kid had some off the field problems but I also saw a sincere love and passion for football from the kid and he looked so humbled when he was finally drafted by the Niners. I think he could turn out to be the second coming of Patrick Willis.

I do like the kid we drafted to play corner and I just hope that McD was dead set on taking him and wasn't afraid of taking a shot at Foster because of some "character concerns". It's too early to tell I just hope this isn't like the Marv Levy/Dick Jauron era all over again.

Off the field problem, no thanks . Why do you not like Marv Levy? Edited by mead107

The league moves much faster than it did years ago. Teams and head coaches dont have the time nor patience for players to get it together and mature anymore. If you dont have an elite QB, youre basically always one year away from getting fired for a bad season.

Im kind of guessing youre somewhat referring to Peterman over Kelly. Im sure that McDermott simply doesnt have the time to babysit him or bring him along the right path. He wants players that he KNOWS will show up on time, are ready and willing to learn, and lay it all on the line.

Theres nothing concerning about it. Its smart. Maybe if the team was on the verge of a Superbowl challenge he would bend this rule for the right player to put him over the top. But not now.

Someone who finally gets it- well said

OP I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you to some extent. I think as a new coach when youre implementing a whole new culture into an organization its important to draft players that fit what youre trying to accomplish. You need to have a solid foundation and core. However, I do not think that choosing character over talent in every situation over the long haul is a recipe for success. Hopefully McDermott understands this because Dick Jauron/Marv Levy didnt.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Yea, that's how it is for many future NFL players when they have law run ins. I don't need him to take a shot on Joe Mixon but I don't want him removing someone from his board because of a bar fight or a diluted sample. Dawkins makes me hope that won't be the case.

It was dismissed by a judge, no civil settlement, well before he was even considered NFL material.

OP I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you to some extent. I think as a new coach when youre implementing a whole new culture into an organization its important to draft players that fit what youre trying to accomplish. You need to have a solid foundation and core. However, I do not think that choosing character over talent in every situation over the long haul is a recipe for success. Hopefully McDermott understands this because Dick Jauron/Marv Levy didnt.

I just hope McD doesn't fall into a pattern and it limits us from not drafting or signing talented football players that have made mistakes but are good people and have good character.

I'm not sold on Sean the Wrestler at all. In fact he sound a lot like Jauron and Marrone actually. Uses the exact same phrases as they did, with an obsession on Special Teams and working hard.

shocking.

It would be nice to get players that you're going to drop tens of millions of dollars on to not to be doing doobies and getting suspended for half the damn season. Character has a big role here.

:lol:

tumblr_mqgfctI6YO1rk0jnao1_400.gif

Edited by Luka