McD's Off the field Obsession

wppete

Anyone else a little concerned with McDermotts obsession with off the field personality? I get it we need good people for the community, smarty guys and guys that don't get suspended. But valedictorian and MBA graduates etc. I couldn't care less. We need football players. I like this draft but let's not limit ourselves when it comes to finding solid FOOTBALL players! We are building a winning football team not a community service Team.

Edited by wppete

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are dumb enough to get caught doing stuff off the field then you aren't smart enough to be on the field. Do you think we had boy scouts on the team during the super bowl era? They were just smart and kept it under wraps so as to not embarrass the team and be a distraction. Put the team first and you can't go wrong

There is a difference between looking for guys with good character and trying to take the smartest guy at every position. There are high character people whom were the best or darn near it at their positions over the years. High character guys aren't going to end up being suspended, costing the team in various ways.

Edited by H2o

If you are dumb enough to get caught doing stuff off the field then you aren't smart enough to be on the field. Do you think we had boy scouts on the team during the super bowl era? They were just smart and kept it under wraps so as to not embarrass the team and be a distraction. Put the team first and you can't go wrong

Right, because football players are highly intelligent people...The '89 Bills were an embarrassment and a distraction

The league moves much faster than it did years ago. Teams and head coaches don’t have the time nor patience for players to get it together and mature anymore. If you don’t have an elite QB, you’re basically always one year away from getting fired for a bad season.

I’m kind of guessing you’re somewhat referring to Peterman over Kelly. I’m sure that McDermott simply doesn’t have the time to babysit him or bring him along the right path. He wants players that he KNOWS will show up on time, are ready and willing to learn, and lay it all on the line.

There’s nothing concerning about it. It’s smart. Maybe if the team was on the verge of a Superbowl challenge he would bend this rule for the right player to put him over the top. But not now.

The league moves much faster than it did years ago. Teams and head coaches don’t have the time nor patience for players to get it together and mature anymore. If you don’t have an elite QB, you’re basically always one year away from getting fired for a bad season.
I’m kind of guessing you’re somewhat referring to Peterman over Kelly. I’m sure that McDermott simply doesn’t have the time to babysit him or bring him along the right path. He wants players that he KNOWS will show up on time, are ready and willing to learn, and lay it all on the line.
There’s nothing concerning about it. It’s smart. Maybe if the team was on the verge of a Superbowl challenge he would bend this rule for the right player to put him over the top. But not now.

Not at all. I like the Peterman pick. I just hope McDermott is not overlooking some good football players that can help us win.

I agree with the OP somewhat in the sense that I really thought we could have had the steal of the draft with Reuben Foster at 27, I know the kid had some off the field problems but I also saw a sincere love and passion for football from the kid and he looked so humbled when he was finally drafted by the Niners. I think he could turn out to be the second coming of Patrick Willis.

I do like the kid we drafted to play corner and I just hope that McD was dead set on taking him and wasn't afraid of taking a shot at Foster because of some "character concerns". It's too early to tell I just hope this isn't like the Marv Levy/Dick Jauron era all over again.

I don't think that they are specifically looking for Boy Scouts and valedictorians, but rather players who are dedicated to being their best and are at least smart enough to learn the play book. I don't think that rules out too many guys.

As someone else suggested, they want professionals, not guys who need to be babysat. They are trying to take a step towards the "Patriot way" and I think it makes sense. They got reasonably smart versatile players who have "want to".

I agree with the OP somewhat in the sense that I really thought we could have had the steal of the draft with Reuben Foster at 27, I know the kid had some off the field problems but I also saw a sincere love and passion for football from the kid and he looked so humbled when he was finally drafted by the Niners. I think he could turn out to be the second coming of Patrick Willis.

I do like the kid we drafted to play corner and I just hope that McD was dead set on taking him and wasn't afraid of taking a shot at Foster because of some "character concerns". It's too early to tell I just hope this isn't like the Marv Levy/Dick Jauron era all over again.

I believe Foster's health (shoulder injury) also caused him to slide. High mileage on that body.

Whatever caused Foster to drop was significant enough for many teams to pass on him. I don't know if it was solely character or if their might have been an injury concern as well. There were also some suggestions that he struggled learning the play book

Everything was dismissed.

Yea, that's how it is for many future NFL players when they have law run ins. I don't need him to take a shot on Joe Mixon but I don't want him removing someone from his board because of a bar fight or a diluted sample. Dawkins makes me hope that won't be the case.