GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing is for certain, we need to set the organization in motion on the vision of one leader. I think Coach Megamind could be special and while I don't think DW was as bad as advertised, our front office has to be unified in purpose and methodology.

I know it was early in Whaley's tenure but one of his worst moves was when the Kevin Kolb concussion left them with EJ, Thad Lewis and Tuel at QB, there was no fallback plan and Tuel had to start a game. That was horrible.

And how many years was he the assistant GM? Stop giving this guy a pass, he failed, period.

Oh! Oh! I got this one! The number one guy makes the call. Again, have you ever had a boss you didn't fully agree with? I have. You don't take the blame until you make the calls. You can disagree, but that'd how I see it.

Whaley didnt buld that top 5 defense. Many of the players were from the nix regime.

Guess it depends who you talk to. Some on here 'blame' Whaley as assistant GM under Nix, so those same should give him credit for helping build a top 5 defense, which would have gone along beautifully with last years top 10 offense(thanks to the McCoy trade) if the coach that Pegula hired didn't mess the whole damn thing up.

I know it was early in Whaley's tenure but one of his worst moves was when the Kevin Kolb concussion left them with EJ, Thad Lewis and Tuel at QB, there was no fallback plan and Tuel had to start a game. That was horrible.

That was a problem, and not just on the guy in charge of wet mats. :(

Whaley has been #1 or #2 in command for the past 7 years. IMO, he's been given more than enough time.

In that time a top 5 , championship level defense was built and a top 10 offense also. I believe we had the top rated special teams 3 years ago as well. Pegula hired Rex and messed it all up. Whaley gets canned because Pegula messed up.

And how many years was he the assistant GM? Stop giving this guy a pass, he failed, period.

Get over yourself. I could understand if you said - hey he did a decent job but it just never came together to make the playoffs, so I'd like to see a fresh start with a new coaching staff. Instead you bloviate as if he was an overt failure. The fact is he did a lot of good things and had made some mistakes also - maybe most of all a seemingly propensity to not get along, if you believe the reports of there never being real harmony since his tenure began.

That's the least damning part of that story. Whaley tried to enter the following season with EJ, Lewis, and Tuel again, having already had a front row seat to watch them the year before. The next thing you know, Whaley and Marrone are being separated while Brandon repeatedly yells at the both of them to shut up Classic!

Whaley didnt buld that top 5 defense. Many of the players were from the nix regime.

My opinion is that Nix did all the easy lifting.....picking good big people like Dareus and Glenn.......and not addressing the QB position........then basically turned it over to Whaley to do the hard job.

You can basically say he had ONE job........GET A QUARTERBACK.......and he didn't do it.........but neither did Nix.

Basically both were QB blind.

Trading up for TJ Graham and passing on Russell Wilson still trumps anything stupid Whaley ever did.........even Adolphus Washington instead of Dak because the Bills at least HAD a potential QB of the future in Tyrod at the time.

In that time a top 5 , championship level defense was built and a top 10 offense also. I believe we had the top rated special teams 3 years ago as well. Pegula hired Rex and messed it all up. Whaley gets canned because Pegula messed up.

Now you're getting all factual and stuff, messing up his narative of hate.

We needed a coach, and Whaley did not mess up that hire. The new owners learned. Move on!

Whaley was good at pro scouting and below average at drafting, starting with the Sammy Watkins trade. The biggest issue was he hung his career on EJ Manuel, literally said that himself after we drafted him. He then traded a 1st rounder for a WR so he went all in on EJ. Whaley doesn't really excel at anything enough to make up for his poor QB scouting. So I can't say I'll be sad to see him go.

Get over yourself. I could understand if you said - hey he did a decent job but it just never came together to make the playoffs, so I'd like to see a fresh start with a new coaching staff. Instead you bloviate as if he was an overt failure. The fact is he did a lot of good things and had made some mistakes also - maybe most of all a seemingly propensity to not get along, if you believe the reports of there never being real harmony since his tenure began.

Get over myself? Bloviate? Zero winning records since he has been in this organization "evaluating tallent" Beating a Pats team that wasn't trying to go 9-7 is 8-8. But feel free to continue to accept mediocrity.

Edited by TikiTailgateRentals

Nix picked EJ. He said he wouldn't leave until he took his QB.

Nix may have made the final call on the pick but Whaley constantly owned it. He himself said if EJ didn't work out he'd be out of a job. He traded a future 1st round pick for a WR. There is no way you can say Whaley wasn't fully on board with EJ as our starter.

IMO, these things were largely achieved in spite of Whaley. Most of the D was already there & Schwartz was Marrone's guy. And I doubt we would've had a top 10 offense if EJ was our starter, which is likely the way Whaley would have wanted it.

If Whaley really didn't want Rex, I don't believe for a second that he voiced his opinion on it. Instead, he was comparing finding Rex to finding the person you're going to marry, and gushing over the fact that their vision of team building was so closely aligned that they could complete each other's sentences. A yes man GM is a terrible fit for rookie owners, who need someone to give it to them straight.