RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Bills fans have always had a fascination with backup QBs ......

That old line about nobody being more popular than the backup QB ...

... I like the pick. I didn't follow these mid-round QBs at all, so all I know is what I read now and see on video clips. Seems like a solid choice. So did, for example, T.J. Yates when he was taken in the 5th round in 2011. In general, Peterman should be very happy if he has a career as good as TJ Yates. Here's how cbs sports summed up the usual fate of 3rd day draft QB picks (occasioned by yet another team dumping Zach Mettenberger):

Don't expect much from those quarterbacks selected on Day 3," we said at the time. "We might as well get that out of the way early. Yes, you can be optimistic and try to talk yourself into thinking the fifth-round QB your team selected was a steal, or you can be realistic and accept that fact that, in general, quarterbacks taken in Rounds 4-7 have short, low-impact NFL existences.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-cut-backup-qb-zach-mettenberger-days-after-drafting-joshua-dobbs/

And cbssports was actually quoting itself ... that paragraph was written 3 years ago ...

I'm not a Peterman apologetic, but I see people calling the Clemson game his best game. It really wasn't. It was just the best team he played, for sure.

Maybe this is his best game: https://youtu.be/65kbQVjIK6A

Shows his competitiveness, toughness, decision-making, footwork...but still plenty of examples of that weak arm and grip strength. Crappy passes to the sideline and two fumbles when running. That spells trouble in the NFL.

I'm not a Peterman apologetic, but I see people calling the Clemson game his best game. It really wasn't. It was just the best team he played, for sure.

Maybe this is his best game:

Shows his competitiveness, toughness, decision-making, footwork...but still plenty of examples of that weak arm and grip strength. Crappy passes to the sideline and two fumbles when running. That spells trouble in the NFL.

Yeah, I'm sorry that's not his best game, at all.

I don't think anyone posted his scouting report yet.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Strengths

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

Draft Projection

Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

NFL Comparison

Kirk Cousins

Bottom Line

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

Gruden spoke very highly of him from his camp .

He graduated after 3 years.

His trick shot video was really cool.

I think he did the same in high school. Seems he's book smart plus has a high football IQ. Edited by Augie

I find it ironic that a fifth round developmental QB has generated 38 pages of discussion while the 1st round likely starting CB has generated 30 pages.

Kind of shows the general uneasiness with the entrenched starter.

I find it ironic that a fifth round developmental QB has generated 38 pages of discussion while the 1st round likely starting CB has generated 30 pages.

Or just that NFL quarterback is the most important position in all of sports and generates a lot of discourse and disagreement.

Whaley getting fired has 77 pages .... so maybe QB isn't all that important?

Well he red-shirted a year at Tennessee. Then played as a sophomore. Then two years at Pitt.

So, right, 2+2=3.

Lol, you do realize he went to Pitt as a graduate transfer correct? He completed his alloted amount of college credits to get a degree in three years.

This can be achieved through taking college credited courses in highscool,graduating high school early leading to early enrollment to college, summer courses, etc...

Yeah no question if we had a true FQB there would be less interest in the 5th round rookie. Not no interest, but less.

Yeah no question if we had a true FQB there would be less interest in the 5th round rookie. Not no interest, but less.

Definitely less exaggeration of his abilities. People should temper their expectations. He has the tools to be good, but needs plenty of work.