If Bills Don't Get A Franchise QB In 2018

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not accurate in any way, shape or form

Well ... I know posters on this forum have had a lot of QB ideas, some that turned out good, some that turned out bad. But just by throwing a dart at the "available QB" board you'd probably have to do better than Losman, Edwards, Fitz, EJ, Orton, Tyrod ... even though the last two have been, well, adequate, there's an awful lot of ground to make up for after the first 4 ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

And how would we accomplish this? Trading up to #2 giving up a fortune to get Turbitzky? Turbitzky fixes our problems? Staying put and drafting Lattimore fixes our problems? Taking Watson or Mahomes at #10 fixes our problems?

I am referring to the shedding of Kyle and Shady...not going all in on a QB this year

I think 90% of this board is better evaluating QBs than the Bills brass has been for the past 20 years. Kirk Cousins would be a major upgrade at the position.

I totally agree, give me a draft book and I could do better than half the QB picks the Bills have made. Better yet, just take a look at Cousins, the guy makes all the throws you need and he is better than anyone the Bills have had in over 20 years. Have fun with that ground and pound and the NFLs leading rushing stats.

This move, this trade and draft selection, sets us up for another season of making a triumphant run at a 7-9, 8-8 type season. Landing us a 12-15th pick next year. Anyone thinking we are going to be able to land the top QB next year is nuts. Even the assumption that next year's QB's are going to be so much better, is nuts.

The Bills just don't like picking QB's, I don't know what else to say... It's like we are trying to prove we can win without one.

Oh well, maybe next year

Well said.

The real kicker would be if Watson or Mahomes pan out, especially since all I've read is how EVERY QB is garbage in the draft this year.

The Bills could easily have two top 10 picks next year who the !@#$ knows how both the Bills and Chiefs seasons will pan out. But I don't think the Bills are in a bad spot with Tyrod. Even if you assume Tyrod is about what he is (I think he stands to maybe be a bit better with some more experience and a better system but he isn't far off from what he can be optimistically) he is still a QB you can win with. For once in a long time the Bills need a QB but aren't desperate for one. They have two young developmental QB's on the roster and they have two first round picks next year if they target a QB next year.

I think when you aren't desperate for a QB that's when things tend to happen better for your franchise. Hopefully Tyrod takes a step up and the Bills aren't forced into needing a QB badly over the next few years.

It will prove that this was a GIGANTIC failure of a move. In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch. Then, at 27, the Bills also decided that picking the 6th or 7th best CB was better than fixing the right side of the line for good.

The Bills organization has failed to make the right decisions for so long that it is tough to put any faith that they will turn that extra first rounder into the franchise QB that has been lacking for so many years. If they pull it off next year, this will be the best move ever. Until that actually happens and they get their guy, I have a hard time believing that this trade down will pay off.

What I don't understand is that by making that move last night, it clearly states that this is a rebuilding year (as if we didn't already know that). If that truly is the case, why the hell is Kyle Williams (and to a lesser extent Shady) still here. Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem? As it stands right now, Browns Jets and and Bills will all be looking to get their guy in 2018. If the Bills miss out by overachieving to that 7-9 record again, they will most assuredly look like they messed up yet another draft in a long line of them.

And when the supposed great QBs in the 2018 draft turn out to be not so good, what then?

I like the direction McDermott is taking the team but if elite CB play is not crucial for his scheme and this was a deep DB draft, why not take a QB at 1 and a DB at 2? There's nothing a great CB can do for us that approaches what a great QB can do for us. Our defense is talented and simply needed better coaching than the Ryans provided. If any of this year's QB crop comes in and lights us up they'd better hand out motion sickness bags at the Ralph. This year is already starting to feel like a tank.

It will prove that this was a GIGANTIC failure of a move. In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch. Then, at 27, the Bills also decided that picking the 6th or 7th best CB was better than fixing the right side of the line for good.

The Bills organization has failed to make the right decisions for so long that it is tough to put any faith that they will turn that extra first rounder into the franchise QB that has been lacking for so many years. If they pull it off next year, this will be the best move ever. Until that actually happens and they get their guy, I have a hard time believing that this trade down will pay off.

What I don't understand is that by making that move last night, it clearly states that this is a rebuilding year (as if we didn't already know that). If that truly is the case, why the hell is Kyle Williams (and to a lesser extent Shady) still here. Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem? As it stands right now, Browns Jets and and Bills will all be looking to get their guy in 2018. If the Bills miss out by overachieving to that 7-9 record again, they will most assuredly look like they messed up yet another draft in a long line of them.

I like the direction McDermott is taking the team but if elite CB play is not crucial for his scheme and this was a deep DB draft, why not take a QB at 1 and a DB at 2? There's nothing a great CB can do for us that approaches what a great QB can do for us. Our defense is talented and simply needed better coaching than the Ryans provided. If any of this year's QB crop comes in and lights us up they'd better hand out motion sickness bags at the Ralph. This year is already starting to feel like a tank.

Would you and others like this just stop with the tanking stuff. I wish the mods would ban that word.

The reason they did not take a "great" QB in the draft is they did not think any of the ones drafted early were "great". I can just as easily say that if none of these QBs pan out (which is more common than having them become "great") and White turns into an All Pro teams like KC will kick themselves for giving up so much instead of identifying a good CB.

Folks, I want Darnold or Allen as much as the next fan.

However, you don't have to get the Elway, you can get a Kelly or Marino. Need to avoid Blacklidge and O'Brein's of the draft...

Obviously easier said than done. Nevertheless, I am curious to see who we put in the front office to help guide the way. McDermott gave me a nice boost of confidence by not reaching on any of the QBS this year. Despite my love for Watson, I don't think we should have drafted Watson or any of the other guys early.

Under this logic the Jaguars were smart to grab Blaine Gabbert instead of JJ Watt.

The Bills just don't like picking QB's, I don't know what else to say...

Funny, I could have sworn the Bills drafted quarterbacks this year and last year. Have they both busted already?