If Bills Don't Get A Franchise QB In 2018

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem?

And how would we accomplish this? Trading up to #2 giving up a fortune to get Turbitzky? Turbitzky fixes our problems? Staying put and drafting Lattimore fixes our problems? Taking Watson or Mahomes at #10 fixes our problems?

Also, the 49ers still need a QB. If anyone thinks getting KC's #25 picks next year helps us get a QB you are wrong

Likely top 3 teams picking will all need QB's (Browns, 49ers, Jets)

Why not? Marino was #27.

We will have too. Unfortunately it will be Rudolph or Falk. Instead of Darnold, Rosen or Allen. Would really have to have a bad year to get one of them.

It might even be 50/50 that Darnold even comes out. He could pull a Luck and stay. The other guys could flounder. It's not guarantee that the 2018 class will be as great as people think it will be. I do think Darnold will be special but again, he could stay another year. Especially if USC fails to make the playoff and that is something he really wants to accomplish.

I had him at about 3 behind the 2 OSU guys (one of whom was accused of rape). Who are the 5 or 6 guys did you have ahead of him (or were you just using hyperbole to try to get your point across)? This guy had him at 2 (as did PFF): http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-position-rankings-cornerbacks-marshon-lattimore-ohio-state-tre-davious-white/4wgysfu95gen16qacm0inqvvw

I don't think that this is a rebuilding type of move at all. White is a day 1 starter with a ton of experience and high character. He doesn't have Lattimore's ceiling but he is one of the most NFL ready guys in the draft. He is a high floor, medium ceiling type of prospect IMO. I think that he starts in the league for a long, long time.

He was a good pick and should turn out well; I am glad we didn't take CB at 10. He looks like he will fit McDs scheme very well.

It's just hard to pass up on a bigger need which is QB and has been the biggest need since JK retired. I just don't see 2018 being a feasible trade up draft; teams always need QBs and the other needy ones will most likely be worse than us - they aren't giving Darnold/Rosen up. We will be drafting 3rd or 4th best which could yield a JP like candidate...I just don't like putting the eggs in the next year is better basket and assuming I can move up. It isn't guaranteed...

I would make that trade all day long. Cousins has everything you need in a QB and Washington would be crazy to even make that trade....unless they think they are on the verge of 2-14 without him

I love all you people that think you're better at evaluating QBs than the Bills, then you suggest trading multiple 1st round picks for freaking Kirk Cousins. Let me guess, total yards is your favorite stat?

He was a good pick and should turn out well; I am glad we didn't take CB at 10. He looks like he will fit McDs scheme very well.

It's just hard to pass up on a bigger need which is QB and has been the biggest need since JK retired. I just don't see 2018 being a feasible trade up draft; teams always need QBs and the other needy ones will most likely be worse than us - they aren't giving Darnold/Rosen up. We will be drafting 3rd or 4th best which could yield a JP like candidate...I just don't like putting the eggs in the next year is better basket and assuming I can move up. It isn't guaranteed...

I am with you, but one is forced to hope it works out. The Wyoming qb, Josh Allen, is supposed to be another worth keeping in mind.

Were getting our franchise qb this year.

Who are you suggesting?

This isn't like walking into a store and seeing a price tag and you pay you get the product. The other party has to be willing to sell.

We need the Bears to finish with a top three pick. They would likely be a willing trade partner for the right price. Maybe the Rams as well but they could also pull the plug early on Goff if he doesn't show any improvement.

How needy teams are for QBs next year will be the factor. I actually hope this years crop works out for the team that picked them. Less teams will to over look 2 number 1's and them some. We'll see. Not like they have to start a rookie this year.

It might even be 50/50 that Darnold even comes out. He could pull a Luck and stay. The other guys could flounder. It's not guarantee that the 2018 class will be as great as people think it will be. I do think Darnold will be special but again, he could stay another year. Especially if USC fails to make the playoff and that is something he really wants to accomplish.

Or if he sees that Buffalo (or Cleveland?) is going to have (or trade) for #1 and he decides he'd rather wait for a better landing spot in 2019 ...

It will prove that this was a GIGANTIC failure of a move. In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch. Then, at 27, the Bills also decided that picking the 6th or 7th best CB was better than fixing the right side of the line for good.

The Bills organization has failed to make the right decisions for so long that it is tough to put any faith that they will turn that extra first rounder into the franchise QB that has been lacking for so many years. If they pull it off next year, this will be the best move ever. Until that actually happens and they get their guy, I have a hard time believing that this trade down will pay off.

What I don't understand is that by making that move last night, it clearly states that this is a rebuilding year (as if we didn't already know that). If that truly is the case, why the hell is Kyle Williams (and to a lesser extent Shady) still here. Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem? As it stands right now, Browns Jets and and Bills will all be looking to get their guy in 2018. If the Bills miss out by overachieving to that 7-9 record again, they will most assuredly look like they messed up yet another draft in a long line of them.

But isn't that what you would like to do? Still get a great talent, while picking up some more picks? Isn't that why people are mad about the Sammy pick, they moved for their top guy, when there was other talent available where they were or later?

Im all in on Darnold.... Rosen sounds good too if he can prove it next season.

Then the two monsters in Wyoming and OK State..... and Lamar Jackson

I like Jake Browning from Washington also.

What's to say that we won't have the #1 pick next year anyway?... since we didn't take Lattimore at 10 and didn't address RT at 27, aren't we doomed for failure anyway? Our natural pick could be 1 or 2 and we'll have KC's to add a playmaker or OL to help....

I am with you, but one is forced to hope it works out. The Wyoming qb, Josh Allen, is supposed to be another worth keeping in mind.

Weaker Conference and a big knock on Allen this year was playing in that conference his completion percentage should have been in the 70+%. I would not hold our breathe for Darnold & Rosen next year, just need to (at this point) hope the 3rd or 4th is a better prospect that Mahomes (nice potential) or Watson (likely bust) thus far and we don't take the JP of the 2018 class.

I love all you people that think you're better at evaluating QBs than the Bills, then you suggest trading multiple 1st round picks for freaking Kirk Cousins. Let me guess, total yards is your favorite stat?

I think 90% of this board is better evaluating QBs than the Bills brass has been for the past 20 years. Kirk Cousins would be a major upgrade at the position.

So basically our draft sucks, and next year's draft sucks too.

Man, we suck.

It doesn't suck when looking at it in a vacuum. In fact, it makes perfect sense. But it's the kind of thing that two types of teams would do: (1) really stocked teams like the Pats. Unlikely you'll be able to get performance from a rookie who isn't an overall #1-5 sufficient to supplant the players you already have. So you plan ahead to have enough picks to restock when your current players age/play out their contracts/get too expensive. (2) rebuilding teams who are punting on the current season (and maybe the season after) like the Browns. Getting a "starter on day one" guy doesn't do you a lot of good if you're hoping to go from a projected 6 win team to a projected 7 win team, or from 7 to 8 wins. In fact, it does actual harm to your long term prospects by lowering your draft position.

So, in context, once again what the Bills have done this offseason as a whole doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's not "win now", it's not "rebuild and reload." It's more of the same old.