How'd we do vs the draft value chart?

According to the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart:

Bills give up:

#10: 1300 pts

Chiefs give up:

#27: 680 pts

#91: 136 pts

Next year's 1st: 330 pts*

(*Based on the guesstimate that the Chiefs will have the 25th pick next year, and the somewhat accepted rule that a 1st round pick this year = a 2nd round pick next year.)

If you buy all of that, we gave up 1300 pts for 1146, a loss of 154. Per the chart, that's the equivalent of losing the #87 pick of the draft. In that sense, it looks like the Chiefs got the better end of the deal.

But what of this value chart? Do other teams actually go by it?

Here are the rest of tonight's deals, scored according to the value chart:

1. 49ers / Bears

49ers give up #2 (2600). Bears give up #3 (2200), 67 (255), 111 (72), and next year's 3rd (80*) - (2607).

The 49ers win by a whopping 7 points. A very even trade according to the value chart.

2. Browns / Texans

Browns give up #12 (1200). Texans give up #25 (720) and next year's 1st (330*) - (1050)

Texans win by 150 points. By these metrics, they lost the #88 pick. Not a totally unexpected outcome when dealing with the Browns, and poor value according to the chart.

3. Seahawks / Falcons

Seahawks give up #26 (700). Falcons give up #31 (600), #95 (120), and 249 (1) - (721).

Seahawks win by 21 points. A very even trade according to the value chart.

4. Packers / Browns

Packers give up #29 (640). Browns give up #33 (580) and #108 (79) - (659)

Packers win this trade by 19 points. A very even trade according to the value chart.

5. Seahawks / 49ers

Seahawks give up #31 (600). 49ers give up #34 (560), 111 (72) - (632).

Seahawks win by 32 points, the equivalent of the #138 pick. Pretty even trade according to the value chart.

Here are tonight's winners & losers according to Jimmy's value chart:

Chiefs: +154

Texans: +150

Seahawks: +53

Packers: +19

Bears: -7

Falcons: -21

49ers: -25

Bills: -154

Browns: -169

Edited by Buffalo86

It's definitely possible that KC finishes well enough that the trade is hardly a win.

The real test will be whether or not Mahomes becomes a gamer. If he does, you can throw your points out the window.

+100000000

Exactly correct

Bills give up:

Chiefs give up:

(*Based on the guesstimate that the Chiefs will have the 25th pick next year, and the somewhat accepted rule that a 1st round pick this year = a 2nd round pick next year.)

If you buy all of that, we gave up 1300 pts for 1146, a loss of 154. Per the chart, that's the equivalent of losing the #87 pick of the draft. In that sense, it looks like the Chiefs got the better end of the deal.

1. 49ers / Bears

49ers give up #2 (2600). Bears give up #3 (2200), 67 (255), 111 (72), and next year's 3rd (80*) - (2607).

The 49ers win by a whopping 7 points. A very even trade according to the value chart.

2. Browns / Texans

Browns give up #12 (1200). Texans give up #25 (720) and next year's 1st (330*) - (1050)

Texans win by 150 points. By these metrics, they lost the #88 pick. Not a totally unexpected outcome when dealing with the Browns, and poor value according to the chart.

3. Seahawks / Falcons

Seahawks give up #26 (700). Falcons give up #31 (600), #95 (120), and 249 (1) - (721).

4. Packers / Browns

Packers win this trade by 19 points. A very even trade according to the value chart.

5. Seahawks / 49ers

Seahawks win by 32 points, the equivalent of the #138 pick. Pretty even trade according to the value chart.

Yeah we probably should have received next years 2 or 3 rd in addition to what we received. Id say we were slightly fleeced because they knew we were in desperate need to add cheap bodies to the team due to our very precarious cap constraints, coupled with minimal picks, and quite a bit of needs to firld a functioning football team. Edited by Bill_with_it

Yep i said this with the Bears as well. No one will care what they gave up if Trubisky takes them to multiple championships in a 15-20 year career.

We were stupid IMO. But we always try to get cute TJ Graham over Wilson, Passing on Dak, Passing on Cousins. We draft JPs and EJs and get scared off so we throw our hats on the Cardales of the draft and Fitzy's of FA.

Tallying up points for draft value is the bean counter's way of assessing it. Foolishness and emotion is rampant in every NFL draft. The bills will take advantage of this. If there is a clear-cut number one quarterback next year, the bills two picks will enable them to select that quarterback. And Kansas City will finish last in the west this season.

We were stupid IMO. But we always try to get cute TJ Graham over Wilson, Passing on Dak, Passing on Cousins. We draft JPs and EJs and get scared off so we throw our hats on the Cardales of the draft and Fitzy's of FA.

It's definitely possible that KC finishes well enough that the trade is hardly a win.

The real test will be whether or not Mahomes becomes a gamer. If he does, you can throw your points out the window.

KC will be lucky to win 9 games.

You know how middling teams get their franchise guy? By having the ammo to get him...

This was the first draft in about 4 years that wasn't win now, but plan for the future. The last one got us EJ, but also Shady and Robert Woods. Quality players/circumstances come from all 7 rounds.

Edited by Elite Poster

Who precisely is we?? Sean McDermott is the new sheriff in town. This draft already looks like the antithesis of a Whaley plan. The current scouting staff has already cleaned out it's lockers. DW may well be leading them out the door

Who precisely is we?? Sean McDermott is the new sheriff in town. This draft already looks like the antithesis of a Whaley plan. The current scouting staff has already cleaned out it's lockers. DW may well be leading them out the door

Interesting that the KC gm said talks with Whaley past 5 days have been great.

Yep i said this with the Bears as well. No one will care what they gave up if Trubisky takes them to multiple championships in a 15-20 year career.

Same goes for if he isn't any good. They will have been fleeced for a 1st round pick by the Bills.

Regardless though - What would we really prefer?

Lattimore

or

White

2017 3rd Rounder

2018 1st Rounder

Tallying up points for draft value is the bean counter's way of assessing it. Foolishness and emotion is rampant in every NFL draft. The bills will take advantage of this. If there is a clear-cut number one quarterback next year, the bills two picks will enable them to select that quarterback. And Kansas City will finish last in the west this season.

You assume that the Jets and Browns and possibly 49ers will be willing ot trade provided they don't need QBs...

Hard to make that assumption..

Same goes for if he isn't any good. They will have been fleeced for a 1st round pick by the Bills.

Lattimore

or

White

2017 3rd Rounder

2018 1st Rounder

I am not killing anything I like the trade.

I am just saying all this value stuff reslly doesnt matter if a Team is thinking they are getting their Franchise QB because if they do what they gave up to get him wont matter one bit.

Edited by MAJBobby

Lattimore

or

White

2017 3rd Rounder

2018 1st Rounder

But that's not really it is, it? It's more...

Lattimore
or
White
2017 3rd Rounder
2018 1st Rounder
or
Gilmore (Tyrod is cut)
Mahomes
or
Gilmore (Tyrod is cut)
Watson
...something to that effect. I think the people that are a little concerned about the Bills are more concerned because of the lack of consistent plan over the last 4 17 years. If you disagreed with some of the offseason moves in the past, then why is it lattimore vs white/1/3. It's only that based on earlier decisions that many may have also disagreed with.
All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I'm definitely not excited. They have to prove me wrong and I'll be so happy when they finally do. If they really made this move as ammo for a top QB (it's not that simple, lol), I'll probably be happier a year from now.
Edited by fridge

BUF really makes out. 1816 to 1300 JJ's with a 106% discount rate. 12 AV to 6 AV with an inf discount rate on my AV-based model (h/t @pfref)

KC traded 27, 91 and 2018 1st to move up to 10. If you value 2018 1st at 24th ovrl, BUF gets 170 cents on the dollar in my chart, 120 on JJ.

Bills (#27, 91 and 1st rd in 2018) got the better deal in #NFLDraftNFL_Draft_Emoji.png trade w Chiefs (#10) by getting 36.1 draft points & losing 19.9.

Edited by Logic

BUF really makes out. 1816 to 1300 JJ's with a 106% discount rate. 12 AV to 6 AV with an inf discount rate on my AV-based model (h/t @pfref)

KC traded 27, 91 and 2018 1st to move up to 10. If you value 2018 1st at 24th ovrl, BUF gets 170 cents on the dollar in my chart, 120 on JJ.

Bills (#27, 91 and 1st rd in 2018) got the better deal in #NFLDraftNFL_Draft_Emoji.png trade w Chiefs (#10) by getting 36.1 draft points & losing 19.9.

This is true and looks nice. Winners and losers decided in a few years

But that's not really it is, it? It's more...

Lattimore
or
White
2017 3rd Rounder
2018 1st Rounder
or
Gilmore (Tyrod is cut)
Mahomes
...something to that effect. I think the people that are a little concerned about the Bills are more concerned because of the lack of consistent plan over the last 4 17 years. If you disagreed with some of the offseason moves in the past, then why is it lattimore vs white/1/3. It's only that based on earlier decisions that many may have also disagreed with.
All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I'm definitely not excited. They have to prove me wrong and I'll be so happy when they finally do. If they really made this move as ammo for a top QB (it's not that simple, lol), I'll probably be happier a year from now.

At that point you have to put some value on Gilmore's $13 million per year contract and at that point are we giving up Sammy Watkins in 2018? (Who knows, you may be ok with that - I wouldn't though).

It's all subjective, but I think I still take:

White

2017 3rd

2018 1st

over

Gilmore

Mahomes

Maybe I am dead wrong. That's the fun of watching this whole thing go down though.

Edited by What a Tuel

At that point you have to put some value on Gilmore's $13 million per year contract and at that point are we giving up Sammy Watkins in 2018? (Who knows, you may be ok with that - I wouldn't though).

White

2017 3rd

2018 1st

over

Gilmore

Mahomes

Maybe I am dead wrong. That's the fun of watching this whole thing go down though.

I definitely don't know if Gilmore + Mahomes is better. I did the least draft prep I've ever done this year which is why most of my issues with the team are stemming from mistakes they have been making over time.

I think if Mahomes or Watson turn out to be great then it's really all dumb because we missed out on those guys. The Gilmore contract vs Watkins is an interesting take. I really don't know what to do with Watkins next year, but if the plan is truly Tyrod, then yeah...what's the point.

Why the heck are you still talking about Gilmore? =/

I think they are assuming we wouldnt have a need at CB if we re-signed Gilmore. They are implying that would free us up to take a chance on a QB. Seems like they are prepping 2018 which is widely considered a better year for QBs to do that.

I think they are assuming we wouldnt have a need at CB if we re-signed Gilmore. They are implying that would free us up to take a chance on a QB. Seems like they are prepping 2018 which is widely considered a better year for QBs to do that.

Timing seems to have been a real problem with this franchise lately, which is why I'm criticizing them so heavily for their cyclical drafting habits. If they pull off a great draft next year and get their franchise QB I will be forever happy. That hasn't happened yet. This franchise is just as likely to take John McCargo with that extra first.

Edited by fridge

White

2017 3rd

2018 1st

over

Gilmore

Mahomes

But in that scenario, we'd be paying Mahomes' rookie salary instead of Taylor's $15mm/yr. The money (Gilmore + Mahomes vs Taylor + White) would basically be a wash.

But in that scenario, we'd be paying Mahomes' rookie salary instead of Taylor's $15mm/yr. The money (Gilmore + Mahomes vs Taylor + White) would basically be a wash.

True, but that would mean throwing Mahomes into the fire. The Chiefs aren't doing that, and a few other QB needy teams didn't want that. That tells me he needs to sit behind someone, so we likely would still start Taylor.

Timing seems to have been a real problem with this franchise lately, which is why I'm criticizing them so heavily for their cyclical drafting habits. If they pull off a great draft next year and get their franchise QB I will be forever happy. That hasn't happened yet. This franchise is just as likely to take John McCargo with that extra first.

Valid point. Like most drafts, we will have to wait and see if it was good or bad for the team.

Draft trade value charts don't take into consideration the strengths or weaknesses of the draft. Moving back to 27 and picking up an extra third in an extremely deep draft has extra value, it seems to me. And of course KC might suck this year. They open with the Pats, I think, which creates a bit of a dilemma.

Edited by mannc

You nailed it Buffalo 86

Great post

Though I say we lost by 171 because that's the exact points based on the 27th pick next year

Mind you if the Chiefs finish 20th and not 27th its a dead even trade

I also thought we should have gotten another pick to make up for the 171 pt loss

Though I love the trade down and I like the White pick regardless

jc

Bills give up:

Chiefs give up:

1. 49ers / Bears

2. Browns / Texans

3. Seahawks / Falcons

4. Packers / Browns

5. Seahawks / 49ers

That value chart is nonsense...much more accurate ones have been produced that actually analyzed the true values of the picks over time and used regression analysis to set values for each pick.

Typically in basic terms high picks were vastly overrated and lower picks were underrated. In this draft a 3rd is worth a 2nd in most other drafts because of how deep it is and the quality of the player you will likely get.

The numbers are very clearly stated to be based on Jimmy Johnson's value chart:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

Feel free to give it a glance.

Which has been shown by many using analytics and regression analysis of many years of actual data on players selected there and how their careers played out to have no basis in reality Edited by matter2003

Bills give up:

Chiefs give up:

1. 49ers / Bears

2. Browns / Texans

3. Seahawks / Falcons

4. Packers / Browns

5. Seahawks / 49ers

Why is the Bills, by way of the Chiefs #1 next year only rated at 330 pts? Seems like an error to me, when the Bills #27 this year was rated 680 pts.

Why is the Bills, by way of the Chiefs #1 next year only rated at 330 pts? Seems like an error to me, when the Bills #27 this year was rated 680 pts.

Even though the chart is nonsense, it is an error. The Bills came out ahead by over 150 points according to that chart, OP fix your bad math.

680 + 680 + 91 = 1451 - 1300 = +151

Factor in the Chiefs are not likely to pick 27th again, likely higher and a 3rd round pick this year will get you a similar player to a 2nd round pick most years and the Bills likely added another 200-300 points of "value".

Edited by matter2003

Bills give up:

Chiefs give up:

1. 49ers / Bears

2. Browns / Texans

3. Seahawks / Falcons

4. Packers / Browns

5. Seahawks / 49ers

Good analysis -- I didn't have the chart numbers, but it seemed to me at the time of the trade the Bills came up a little short. Looks like, according to the numbers, that it true. The caveat with that is that we may have wanted to move out of the pick more than the Chiefs wanted to move into it. If that is true, then we may have had to sweeten the pot a little.