TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rex hire was an owner hire. Whether Brandon was encouraging him to hire the vociferous coach is not the decisive factor in his hiring. Terry P paid $1.4B for his new high profile company. He had the ability to consult with people inside the organization and outside the organization before selecting this fool coach. The person he hired to become his HC, his first major hire, was fired from his previous job with the Jets and let that team in shambles. That certainly wasn't a secret. Terry P could have made a phone call to Bill Polian and ask him what does he think? He could have called any of the owners or any of the former GMs who were still involved in the business through their media and consulting work and ask them what were their thoughts? If he would have been more diligent in examining the candidate's record it is doubtful that Rex would have been his first high profile hire.

I don't care what Brandon told the naive owner who had little knowledge about his new endeavor. He didn't do the proper due diligence and it came back to haunt him. Before the first season was over he knew that the decision he made was a disaster. So let's not pass the buck on who was responsible for this stupendous boondoggle. It was the owner. If he was unduly influenced by a marketing employee then the onus is still on him because he made the selection.

To Pegula's credit he is not afraid to admit mistakes and acknowledge that something isn't working. He wasn't going to continue and allow his outlandish mistake to linger longer than it needed to be because he was the reason why it happened. He without much delay fired the fraud and went on to a better path. Although he was the cause of this ridiculous saga he stepped in and corrected the problem. I salute him for that while still blaming him for the fiasco.

Brandon wasn't alone.

For those still struggling to understand Whaley's role in hiring Rex:

"Let's look at it this way: I last saw my daughter in 2014," Whaley said Wednesday. "Dec. 31 2014. Since then I've spent every single day with the Pegulas and Russ until yesterday. It was an incredible bonding experience. I think we got a feel for how everybody operates, them for us and us for them. It's something I wasn't planning on doing, but I think we made the best out of the situation."

Not only did the Bills find their coach, who Whaley believes is an upgrade over Marrone, but in a way, the power structure of the front office fell into place. Whaley, Brandon and Ryan will all report to Pegula. Whaley is in charge of personnel, Ryan is in charge of the lineup and Brandon is in charge of business. Compared to the uncertainty of a few weeks ago, the Bills have stabilized their franchise in a hurry.

"I wouldn't say relief, I would say it's one of those things where let's get down to work. Let's get all that uncertainty out of our mind, out of the lexicon of the newspapers and the media and now we can start getting to what we're paid to do, and that's build a football team, a championship-winning football team.

"It's one of those things, I hate to say it, I was in such a cocoon with the coaching search I had no idea what was going on in the outside world. It got us, all four of us, to focus on the best thing for the Buffalo Bills."

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

If you think that he is just "covering for the boss", then you believe every comment he made is a lie, which is silly. Also, he made these comments right after Rex was hired--why would he need to cover for the Boss way back then?

Whaley did the diligence. They all agreed on Rex. there is no report anywhere that says otherwise. "Whaley wanted Hue" may be somewhat true, but not enough to convince the owner that Hue deserved a second interview. Whaley could have easily steered Pegula to Jackson---wtf did he and his wife know anyway?

Please tell me how a scout might sabotage the draft?

Jerry Sullivan once again proving why he's an idiot nonpareil. Truly a trailblazer in that regard.

He would tell the aging GM to pick TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson, for instance....

They might never do that though. Brandon is completely 100% embedded with the Pegula Sports & Entertainment. They even paid off Tim Graham to write a very random pro-Brandon piece just this week.

I have no love lost for Brandon, but this isn't cool.

Brandon wasn't alone.

"Let's look at it this way: I last saw my daughter in 2014," Whaley said Wednesday. "Dec. 31 2014. Since then I've spent every single day with the Pegulas and Russ until yesterday. It was an incredible bonding experience. I think we got a feel for how everybody operates, them for us and us for them. It's something I wasn't planning on doing, but I think we made the best out of the situation."

Not only did the Bills find their coach, who Whaley believes is an upgrade over Marrone, but in a way, the power structure of the front office fell into place. Whaley, Brandon and Ryan will all report to Pegula. Whaley is in charge of personnel, Ryan is in charge of the lineup and Brandon is in charge of business. Compared to the uncertainty of a few weeks ago, the Bills have stabilized their franchise in a hurry.

"I wouldn't say relief, I would say it's one of those things where let's get down to work. Let's get all that uncertainty out of our mind, out of the lexicon of the newspapers and the media and now we can start getting to what we're paid to do, and that's build a football team, a championship-winning football team.

"It's one of those things, I hate to say it, I was in such a cocoon with the coaching search I had no idea what was going on in the outside world. It got us, all four of us, to focus on the best thing for the Buffalo Bills."

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

If you think that he is just "covering for the boss", then you believe every comment he made is a lie, which is silly. Also, he made these comments right after Rex was hired--why would he need to cover for the Boss way back then?

Whaley did the diligence. They all agreed on Rex. there is no report anywhere that says otherwise. "Whaley wanted Hue" may be somewhat true, but not enough to convince the owner that Hue deserved a second interview. Whaley could have easily steered Pegula to Jackson---wtf did he and his wife know anyway?

Thank you...this context is very important in stifling the false narrative.

I have no love lost for Brandon, but this isn't cool.

He already copped to it being a joke.

Brandon wasn't alone.

He would tell the aging GM to pick TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson, for instance....

WEO, I appreciate your research on this topic but I still don't believe that Rex was his favorite candidate. It makes no sense. Rex was a known quantity to the people inside of the business. There was little about his record that was appealing. A better way of characterizing Whaley's involvement in this saga is that Whaley is not the type of person who is going to face up and tell the new owner, who he never had a relationship with, that he is wrong. That is one of Whaley's faults. He is a go along type of person who is reluctant to assert himself when it is required.

That's the problem with Whaley. He doesn't have a core so he constantly adjusts his approach to accommodate who he is working with. Instead of asserting himself he avoids confrontation and adjusts to the underling.

Whaley wanted Hue, a person he had had an association with. That was widely reported. He never worked with Rex or had an association with him. However, he and everyone in the business were very familiar with his record and his crass self-promoting tendencies and his obnoxious circus act.

Did Whaley make comments saying that he was on board with the hire? Of course he did. What else is going to do? Say the owner was an idiot? If you want to believe that Whaley was more instrumental in the hire than I do, that is fine. But the bottom line is that the owner had plenty of resources and outlets outside of the organization to get more information on Rex and other candidates. I still contend that this was primarily an owner's decision.

WEO, I appreciate your research on this topic but I still don't believe that Rex was his favorite candidate. It makes no sense. Rex was a known quantity to the people inside of the business. There was little about his record that was appealing. A better way of characterizing Whaley's involvement in this saga is that Whaley is not the type of person who is going to face up and tell the new owner, who he never had a relationship with, that he is wrong. That is one of Whaley's faults. He is a go along type of person who is reluctant to assert himself when it is required.

That's the problem with Whaley. He doesn't have a core so he constantly adjusts his approach to accommodate who he is working with. Instead of asserting himself he avoids confrontation and adjusts to the underling.

Whaley wanted Hue, a person he had had an association with. That was widely reported. He never worked with Rex or had an association with him. However, he and everyone in the business were very familiar with his record and his crass self-promoting tendencies and his obnoxious circus act.

Did Whaley make comments saying that he was on board with the hire? Of course he did. What else is going to do? Say the owner was an idiot? If you want to believe that Whaley was more instrumental in the hire than I do, that is fine. But the bottom line is that the owner had plenty of resources and outlets outside of the organization to get more information on Rex and other candidates. I still contend that this was primarily an owner's decision.

All I have is Whaley's own words---which are way beyond "accommodating"--they are effusive.

Of course it was Pegula's call on Rex. But he was asking the people in the room to help him. He said rex was hardly on their radar initially, so why on earth would Whaley not talk Pegula out of it if he thought rex was a bad pick? Pegula was asking Whaley and Brandon to help him out with this decision. If Whaley was dead set against the choice, Pegula seems like a nice guy---I just don't see him over ruling his GM on this decision. Too much was riding on it.

And if Whaley is such a lackey that he can't do his job properly, why is he still GM?

If he is let go, then we will all know it will be Pegula's payback for Whaley selling him on Rex.

Not with regards to running a pro sports organization. Hire the right people and step aside.

There's the conundrum. Guys like TP didn't get rich hiring the right people and stepping aside. They got rich by being the right person who drove strategy and key decisions.

There's the conundrum. Guys like TP didn't get rich hiring the right people and stepping aside. They got rich by being the right person who drove strategy and key decisions.

He's a genius at fracking. He is a rookie in the professional sports world.

All I have is Whaley's own words---which are way beyond "accommodating"--they are effusive.

Of course it was Pegula's call on Rex. But he was asking the people in the room to help him. He said rex was hardly on their radar initially, so why on earth would Whaley not talk Pegula out of it if he thought rex was a bad pick? Pegula was asking Whaley and Brandon to help him out with this decision. If Whaley was dead set against the choice, Pegula seems like a nice guy---I just don't see him over ruling his GM on this decision. Too much was riding on it.

And if Whaley is such a lackey that he can't do his job properly, why is he still GM?

If he is let go, then we will all know it will be Pegula's payback for Whaley selling him on Rex.

Whaley's problem as I stated in the prior post is that he doesn't have a core that he is going to hold to. In my opinion he is a collaborator to a fault. If Pegula was intrigued with the barnstorming fired coach he is not the type of person who is going to tell the boss that he is wrong. Let's face it he is far from being a Wild Bill Polian who has strongly held convictions and was going to forcefully hold to his positions. Whaley has the opposite personality. He is mellow to the point of being invisible.

With respect to the highlighted area I won't go so far as to say he is a lackey but he is far from being forceful in promoting and sticking to his beliefs. He is a person who to a fault is too willing to adapt. You ask why is he still the GM? Maybe his unimpressive stint is soon coming to an end? Let's face it his work product is not going to impress an owner who is impatient and wants to win sooner rather than later. In my opinion if Whaley is let go it will have little to do with the Rex story and more to do with his own job rating. You don't earn an A for a lackluster performance.

The Rex hire was an owner hire. Whether Brandon was encouraging him to hire the vociferous coach is not the decisive factor in his hiring. Terry P paid $1.4B for his new high profile company. He had the ability to consult with people inside the organization and outside the organization before selecting this fool coach. The person he hired to become his HC, his first major hire, was fired from his previous job with the Jets and let that team in shambles. That certainly wasn't a secret. Terry P could have made a phone call to Bill Polian and ask him what does he think? He could have called any of the owners or any of the former GMs who were still involved in the business through their media and consulting work and ask them what were their thoughts? If he would have been more diligent in examining the candidate's record it is doubtful that Rex would have been his first high profile hire.

I don't care what Brandon told the naive owner who had little knowledge about his new endeavor. He didn't do the proper due diligence and it came back to haunt him. Before the first season was over he knew that the decision he made was a disaster. So let's not pass the buck on who was responsible for this stupendous boondoggle. It was the owner. If he was unduly influenced by a marketing employee then the onus is still on him because he made the selection.

To Pegula's credit he is not afraid to admit mistakes and acknowledge that something isn't working. He wasn't going to continue and allow his outlandish mistake to linger longer than it needed to be because he was the reason why it happened. He without much delay fired the fraud and went on to a better path. Although he was the cause of this ridiculous saga he stepped in and corrected the problem. I salute him for that while still blaming him for the fiasco.

.....do not disagree with one point.....well done assessment.....Pegula was a neophyte owner and still has a learning curve, heading in the right direction.....although the final decision on Wrecks was his, he did get a nudge from Brandon and could have done a better job with his homework (ie. call BP as you said).....Russ did call one of his very close friends who I have been friends with for years (I also know Russ) right after the signing to ask, "well what do you think?".....the inference to me was he was "all in".......I got a text from my buddy and grabbed a bucket.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy