TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

Dumb.

10th and 12th in points on offense the past two years.

4th in points on defense in 2014.

Whaley is far from perfect, but I think he's certainly above average. He's brought enough talent to the team, they just need a coach that doesn't suck. Hopefully McDermott is that man, but now it looks like they're blowing up the front office. I know that's what most want, but I don't think it's the right step.

Stop Whaley from trading picks to move up, force him to address the QB position, and then let him do what he's been doing.

Agreed. This is one of those 'careful what you wish for' things for some fans here.

We could get a better gm - but we could get someone much worse. Whaley has a unique ability when it comes to identifying talented players, imo.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the majority of the work that the college scouts do has been done for awhile, likely before McD was even hired. They gave their info to Monos long ago. As far as Whaley, he would like to continue to be employed in the NFL (IF he's on the chopping block) so yes, I think he cares how his draft goes even if it's his last one here.

If they crap the bed, it will be seen by the entire league. Their (and Whaleys) best bet is to make this the best damn draft we have ever had.

Hope you guys are right. I could definitely see that being true. I guess I just worry about if any of them are disgruntled, or just indifferent/don't care.

I also worry as to why they all seem to think they are getting fired. If it's true, why is it such a poorly kept secret?

It just doesn't seem like the best way to get employees putting in max effort and performing to maximum potential. Like you said though YoLo, most of their work is probably done by now anyway (excluding Whaley), so maybe it doesn't really matter at this point.

Agreed. This is one of those 'careful what you wish for' things for some fans here.

We could get a better gm - but we could get someone much worse. Whaley has a unique ability when it comes to identifying talented players, imo.

Agreed. It could get a lot worse than Whaley, as we've seen here before.

I think Whaley gets one more year, though I still think scout turnover is coming. Doubt the Pegs want two GM searches and a HC search simultaneously and terrible optics as they interview Hockey GMs. Only way I see it happening is if they fire Whaley (or "re-assign") and promote Monos from within.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Whaley has a unique ability when it comes to identifying talented players, imo.

Lmao, you're a funny dude.

I've defended the Pegs against those who believe them to be incompetent owners (largely based upon the Sabres experience), saying they just need time. If they were to fire Whaley, especially to satisfy a first time HC who's yet to coach a game, I'd have to admit that the anti-Pegs people are right.

You used the word, Richie, not me. I presume you've looked at all GM firings over the past 15 years or so and have the hard data that Whaley would be the first one fired after the draft -- right? Because that's what "unprecedented" means.

This conversation is getting dumber by the minute. So what, if I find one GM in the last 2 decades fired after the draft that means Whaley being fired would be totally normal? You're really going out of your way to argue that this situation is normal, when it obviously isn't. No I'm not going to do your research for you, if you can find a couple examples that would be cool... but I don't think you'll find much, if anything.

But he and his scouts cant come close to finding the most important position in all of football. Screw the rest, find the QB already!!!!

But he and his scouts cant come close to finding the most important position in all of football. Screw the rest, find the QB already!!!!

A lot is made of that and I agree it's a big deal, but it's also true of a lot of gm's. Even great gm's miss on Qb's.

This conversation is getting dumber by the minute. So what, if I find one GM in the last 2 decades fired after the draft that means Whaley being fired would be totally normal? You're really going out of your way to argue that this situation is normal, when it obviously isn't. No I'm not going to do your research for you, if you can find a couple examples that would be cool... but I don't think you'll find much, if anything.

Not saying it's normal, but I found a pretty recent example on the previous page if you go back and look.

Associated Press

• Published: Jan. 31, 2008 at 11:34 a.m.
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

Thanks OldTime, I was about to respond and saw you posted this. JO is the reason for every dumb contract provision we have, he is the reason our cap is mismanaged and he is the person responsible for setting round tenders.

Makes sense that it would happen after the draft if it is going to happen. The current scouting staff and player management end can't be replaced before the draft process. But after Undrafted free agents are signed once 90% of the personnel decisions have been made things will be much easier to overhaul.

I don't think Whaley has done a bad job but he hasn't done a good one either. Hopefully the Bills faith in Doug McD is well placed.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

No, Chris Brown previously reported that Russ is no longer involved in any football operations.

It's funny how almost every time I brought up Russ Brandon's culpability for the drought, I have been screamed down by homers who would say he was just the marketing guy. Now as I have said in the past, it is confirmed that Russ had much more than a marketing roll. The guy was flat out the GM of the Bills for 1 1/2 years - 2 years before Nix came in and after Levy stepped down.

After Donahoe was fired and Ralph's health was deteriorating, Russ was given the keys to the organization. When Ralph was in his final years and Russ was at his height of power, he thought, why not make myself the GM. He more than anybody is responsible for the drought. An egomaniac, in over his head, with no real football experience, thought he was the savior. Marv, Buddy and Whaley are all Russ guys. He was in control and he is the reason why the Bills are the least successful franchise in the NFL this century.

I have never met Brandon but I have heard enough stories to infer that the guy is a real piece of **** outside of his career as well. It is an insult to every Bills fan that this guy made it through the Pegula Purge and actually gained more power. The fact that he has any role with the Sabres now is horrifying. They can try to sweep his culpability under the rug all they want, but Brandon and the drought go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Not at all a comparable situation. He wasn't fired and he never had control of the full roster the whole time he was GM. He was preparing Elway for the job.

It's very comparable, actually, given that they both had the same job title and both were fired immediately after a draft. The fact that he didn't have control simply points to how crappy his situation was. Whaley doesn't appear to have control over the roster anymore now himself.

Anyway, I could go on. Here's a more famous example. http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2440274

Scouts maybe. Overdorf maybe although he did OK with restructuring of Clay and keeping guys like Hughes and Dareus. But if they fire Whaley after spending time ever since McD got hired taking about how well they work together, then I would have to conclude the owners and McD lied. And that is not a good thing for the organization at all.

Had a bad flashback to the 2000 draft when John Butler seemed to already be planning on leaving for San Diego. That was arguably the worst draft in team history. It seemed like him and his scouts completely phoned it in that year. Hopefully that will not be the case with this staff.