Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

I tend to agree but if you are expecting a guy to play a role, why even open the door to that issue instead of simply rendering slightly higher? Now it's late April and you have to figure it out. If a guy is expected to play and not just a 3rd string deep on the depth chart developmental or special teams guy-- just pick him up.

With the trio of hogan, groy and MG we'd have been better off as a group simply having all 3 here

Right now it is safe to say Mike G is better than whoever his replacement would be because we don't know who that replacement is/would be yet. But it is entirely possible that the Bills end up replacing him with someone who is even better. It is not like Mike G is an elite running back. I have nothing against the guy. I think he is good and I like watching him play. But the Bills can do better. That is why I don't think this is a big deal at all.

I place higher value on offensive linemen than I do on running backs. So, there is that too. I think there are many good running backs to be had that could easily replace Mike G. I think they are there every year and in late rounds too. As long as the Bills identify that talent well, I think they will be just fine with whoever the number 2 back is this year. My biggest concern would be pass protection from a rookie missing on blitzes.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could make this argument about 46 Bills. But all those cuts add up.

When Boom Herron was on the field, they "knew we were running?" What?

We didn't replace Karlos. We still have not.

We have a team where the #2 RB probably has the most importance among the league. That's not an ounce of hyperbole. Calling it just a "backup" is not fair.

The Bills are a better team in 2016 with MG as our #2 RB. Period.

He was a back up. He averaged 6 carries a game....like back ups do.

We were the #1 rushing team two years in a row with two different #2 and with a lot of injuries. We will be fine.

More fans defining conflation.

Karlos and Gillislee had similar stats. Ergo, the same.

Right.

Do you think there are no conclusions to be drawn from the fact that the Bills got identical performance from two different players in the same situation over the course of two very similar seasons? Calling this conflation is a bit of a stretch, imo.

I'm surprised you haven't dumped all the advance stats on the board like you do for Sammy! From what I have seen Gilly ranked really well last season, if I'm remembering correctly he was the best back after contact.

I've actually covered the difference between the two players.

Sammy put up #1 WR stats despite a massive disparity in opportunities...when targeted like a number 1 WR, he outpaced the league. That's not projecting what he might do if given opportunities, it's simply stating what he did when given them.

Gillislee set a career high with 6 carries per game last year and only has 2 career games with 15 or more carries...nearly everything relating to him as a starting back is projecting.

We'd be the first team in the league to pay their backup that much money according to Sal. So it's not the going rate Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.

The following are all backup RBs:

Theo Riddick - $3.85M AAV

Bilal Powell - $3.75M AAV

Rex Burkhead - $3.15M AAV

Take your pick of Darren Sproles ($4.5M AAV) or Ryan Mathews ($3.67M AAV)

It's the going rate for a quality backup RB.

I really hope that the weakness that does the Pats in this year ....is starting QB.

come on Father Time...where the @#$% are you!!!!

I'm with you on this one.

When the wheels come off for Brady, a lot of these moves won't look as good.

I think being successful enables him to dabble with different things. He doesn't seem like the type to just sit back and say lets stick with what works. Kudos to him for realizing things will evolve and you need to be looking ahead at what you need to do.

yes. He's a little bit stuck in his ways (said he doesn't like to branch out and experiment with drafting players who played for coaches he doesn't know) while also wanting to do what no other team has the luxury of doing and that is now only coaching guys he "likes". He's earned it, should be interesting to watch who comes and goes.

Also he fired his OL coach (had recently hired him from Jets) after they lost to Denver in the playoffs, and then coaxed Scarnecchia out of retirement. He said he went against his own rule of hiring coaches from outside the organization and will never do it again. Fascinating imo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So many fans don't expect their GM to anticipate problems and then act surprised when a player can't get it done anymore. Yet these are the same people calling for a CEO's head whose business doesn't improve and they're paid too much.

More fans defining conflation.

Karlos and Gillislee had similar stats. Ergo, the same.

Right.

:lol:

Every JAG? No. Mike G? Yes.

I would've looked at the tandem of Mike G and Shady and how well they both played and tried to keep a strength of this team together. I wouldn't risk losing a good player over pennies and creating yet another hole on a team with too many.

But hey, that makes too much sense. Bills gonna Bills.

I'm talking mostly about Hogan because the Bills haven't let MG leave yet. But again, no team would have put a 2nd round tender on him. And even still, getting him for 2 years at $3.2M/year isn't a bad deal considering the deals other backup RB's have (suprisingly) signed this past FA period.

When Gillislee runs over the Bills for 178 yards and 3 TDS and New England goes 15-1 and wins the Superbowl you idiots will eat a big Shidt pie. Bills are a joke.

Leave already.

When Gillislee runs over the Bills for 178 yards and 3 TDS and New England goes 15-1 and wins the Superbowl you idiots will eat a big Shidt pie. Bills are a joke.

Us idiots? Because WE made this decision? I honesty wonder if you sit down and look at these threads, come up with an extremely well thought out, cohesive response... then write the opposite.

The Pats just resigned James White too. Where are all these carries Gilly is getting? We have an arguably better offensive line and in the opportunities he had to be lead back last year he definitely wasn't showing workhorse traits. I want the 5th. I want the cap space. I want a RB out of this stacked RB draft. And I want you to mistake turpentine for Hi-C Ecto Cooler, fall into a season long nap and wake up in time for the draft next year.

You've gotten too riled up, it's not good for you.

Do you think there are no conclusions to be drawn from the fact that the Bills got identical performance from two different players in the same situation over the course of two very similar seasons? Calling this conflation is a bit of a stretch, imo.

The problem with that argument is that many of the other RB's the Bills signed didn't even come close to playing as well as those guys.

Bills are one hamstring injury, which happens frequently, to having Jonathan Williams as starting running back. Meanwhile Gillislee wins Superbowl MVP with 151 yards and 3 TDS for Patriots. I'ts the Bills way. a Joke.

Yeah Mike Gillisee puts the Patriots over the top...they've not already won Super Bowls and the Pats will rely less on Brady because of their new RB.

Every teams starting RB is an injury away from playing their back up. It's not just the Bills.

Sammy put up #1 WR stats despite a massive disparity in opportunities...when targeted like a number 1 WR, he outpaced the league. That's not projecting what he might do if given opportunities, it's simply stating what he did when given them.

Gillislee set a career high with 6 carries per game last year and only has 2 career games with 15 or more carries...nearly everything relating to him as a starting back is projecting.

Nope.

Do any of those teams also employ a back whos making almost 9 million?

Nope.

I wasn't trying to be a ball breaker, you do a good job posting and relaying stats.

That six carries should be closer to 10 this year. That would keep Shady fresh and let MG get more of a rhythm. He should have been the starter in that Fins game. If he goes to NE he will be in a position for success just like Hogan was. Less guys in the box and more redzone oppurtunities.

Bills are one hamstring injury, which happens frequently, to having Jonathan Williams as starting running back. Meanwhile Gillislee wins Superbowl MVP with 151 yards and 3 TDS for Patriots. I'ts the Bills way. a Joke.

That wouldn't say much considering that the reigning Super Bowl MVP was a RB that they drafted in the 4th round--interestingly enough, he had 139 total yards and 3 TDs for the Patriots.

You could make this argument about 46 Bills. But all those cuts add up.

When Boom Herron was on the field, they "knew we were running?" What?

We didn't replace Karlos. We still have not.

We have a team where the #2 RB probably has the most importance among the league. That's not an ounce of hyperbole. Calling it just a "backup" is not fair.

The Bills are a better team in 2016 with MG as our #2 RB. Period.

Yeah you realize no team keeps all their players, so this post isn't saying anything. Of course the Bills are a better team if they can keep all their players, heck let's add as many as we can! Ah but there is a salary cap and a roster limit. Just stop, this doesn't matter. I'll agree with you if we don't bother replacing him but OF COURSE we will so it's a moot point. We did replace Karlos! We replaced him with Gillislee! I personally think the Karlos skill set fits our team better than the Gillislee skill set anyways, I've always thought the best plan was letting Gillislee go and get a cheaper backup that can bulldoze throigh defensemen after Shady tired them out.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Karlos Williams - 93 attempts for 517 yards (5.6 avg.) and 7 TD, 11 receptions for 96 yards and 2 TD.

613 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Mike Gillislee - 101 attempts for 577 yards (5.7 avg.) and 8 TD, 9 receptions for 50 yards and 1 TD.

627 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Karlos Williams - a guy who can barely find a home on an NFL roster.

Mike Gillislee - a guy who couldn't find a home on an NFL roster.

Is it maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe possible that you don't need top tier talent to be a productive backup running back in Buffalois ?

I'm coming around to this line of thinking. Said another way, when MG is the feature back, his numbers are nowhere near his career totals. He barely got 3.0ypc in the season finale.